Topic

Backpack advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Backpack advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Skiles
    BPL Member

@jonskiles

i am looking for a backpack for a John Muir through hike in September.  My base weight should be around 11 pounds.  I am considering a ULA Circuit, Hyperlite 3400, or Zpacks Arc Blast.  Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The one that fits best. All fine choices.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

What Ken said. Backpack fit is critical.

— Rex

Ryan T
    BPL Member

@ryantoupal

I really like my KS ultralight pack! I think it’s less then 1.5 lbs. Check them out as well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

What features do you like in a pack? What do you like about the packs you listed?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

fwiw ULA has been awesome about getting packs to fit me. My Circuit ended up being a small back with medium shoulder straps to fit my short, thick torso. Like they said, fit is important and my experience tells me ULA will stay on it until you have a good fit.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Arc Blast now has adjustable height for shoulder strap attachment points.

A lot of people have been happier with the optional lumbar pad. I know that without it my Arc Haul caused me lumbar/sacrum pain even with light loads. Totally fine with the optional pad. I’d recommend buying it with the pack and then returning it if you find you don’t need it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools