Topic

Backcountry boo boos (warning to those w/ weak stomachs)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery Backcountry boo boos (warning to those w/ weak stomachs)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

boulder>pinky

all good

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ouch man. Any nerve damage?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That is . . . gnarly.

How did that happen?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Summer of ’08, North Glacier Pass near Lake Catherine en route to Banner, Ritter Range. Scrambling up the pass skirting some snow and a boulder rolled when I placed a hand hold. It felt like a “pinch” when it happened. Then, something wet was dripping down my sleeve. When I pulled my hand back to check it out, blood sprayed all over my face. Mostly a cut, but the fingers were wedged apart and crushed at the joint. I freaked a bit, but was able to eventually compose myself. Wrapped it tight, spent the night, and walked out in the AM. I stopped by the ER on the drive home and they cleaned & sewed it up.

Yes, nerve damage. It took about 2 years before any feeling past the knuckle. It’s still a bit numb on the interior side of the finger. Cool scar. Now I look sophisticated when I drink beer with my pinky crookedly extended.

OK, misery loves company. Anyone else?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Reminds me of the guy that had a large boulder crush his arm to a point he couldn’t move from under the boulder. to survive he cut his arm off with a small knife…..stuff happens. glad you pulled through your ordeal :-)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0724_030724_AronRalston.html

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Yikes. I am glad it’s healing. Hopefully you will get all the feeling back.

It’s not as hard to look at as when Jack posted a picture of the cut off section of his finger,  all cleaned up and without the hand…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools