Topic

Attaching bug net to cuben?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Attaching bug net to cuben?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Starting to plan out a shelter. Can you use the cuben bonding tape to add netting wherever you want to cuben? Any negatives I am missing? Will the tape stick permanently to the mesh?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Jeff

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I did just that on my build. However, I would recommend not buying pre-made cuben tape since it causes unnecessary challenges trying to sew through the adhesive. I started with a double roll of the bug net (normal rolled hem) and just sewed the rolled hem before touching the cuben and tape. With the entire edge hemmed, I cut a 1″ strip of 1.43oz cuben and sewed the mesh to the strip. The rolled hem allows you to sew through three layers of the mesh for durability. The big thing to remember is that the stitch line used to attach the mesh to the cuben strip needs to be down the center of the strip. If it’s close to either edge you’re going to see peeling. Lastly, use some good 1″ double-sided tape (3M 9460 or 9485 or 9482) and add the tape all the way down the strip. Once done, peel the backing and slap it in! Link to my MYOG tent. **Note I’m not a pro and this was my first cuben shelter.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/myog-tramplitedeschute-inner-debate/#comments

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Great info, much appreciated! awesome shelter as well

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools