Topic

‘At Rest’ Jacket Recommendation for Winter XC Skiing in Sweden

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking ‘At Rest’ Jacket Recommendation for Winter XC Skiing in Sweden

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Holger B
    BPL Member

@burgerb

Hi Everyone,

I’m going on a 7 day XC Skiing/Photography/ Trip in March in Swedens north – according to someone on the internet who claimed he’s from Norway, it can get very cold then (ie: -30C).

For the active part I got myself the Arc’teryx Proton LT.   To keep warm when resting I have an Arc’teryx Cerium LT – which is probably not warm enough for the conditions I can face there.

Do you have some Jacket recommendations?  I assume I would need something like the  Feathered Friend: Helios Hooded Down Jacket

Do you know other Jackets that would fulfill the same purpose, ideally for a cheaper price?

Thanks!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Did you read the SotMR?

The Helios is a poor choice for what you describe, because it is so short.

https://backpackinglight.com/lightweight-winter-down-parka-reviews-and-state-of-the-market-report/

For skiing you want your pack to be small and light. Photo gear will be big and heavy, so the parka would ideally be quite light.

I just picked up a MHW Phantom Parka that is pretty nice (on sale) as far as wight/warmth/gestures price.

It would be about the  minimum amount of warmth you’d want.

And for sure, full zip down or synthetic insulated, windproof pants for the breaks.
    and a 3/4 foam pad for sitting/kneeling/lying on to get your photo’s.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

EE Torrid layered over what you’re already carrying/wearing might do the trick. Shipping to Sweden may be cost-prohibitive, though. https://enlightenedequipment.com/mens-torrid-apex-jacket-stock/

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Not to sound like a salesman for Bean’s but LL Bean has a very warm (they say to -35 F.) “Ultralight 850 Down Big Baffle Hooded Jacket “for $299. Item #TA508738 

The shell is of Pertex Y-shaped yarn and both outer shell and lining are made of a high % of recycled material. The tail hangs down a bit to protect your butt.

Take a look because Bean’s stuff is very high quality. I have their – 20 F. sleeping bag and it has the most useful features of any winter bag I’ve seen. Very cozy at -10 F. so I feel it could easily handle -20 F.

Finally, all of LL Bean down garments have Down Tech DWR treated down.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I have the Montbell Alpine Light and love it. The Light is probably too cold for your temps, but the Alpine is box baffle, 7oz x 800fp down for 15ish oz. That’s toasty.

Also Cumulus makes some interesting jackets such as the (sewn thru) Mountlite at 6.3oz of 900fp with ~14oz total weight, or their even warmer Neolite which is box baffle, 9oz of 850fp for ~18oz. Also thats euro spec goose down which means the US spec is about 50fp higher, so really those are 900 or 950fp jackets.

The Alpine and Neolite are worth adding to your list

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“For skiing you want your pack to be small and light. Photo gear will be big and heavy, so the parka would ideally be quite light.”

In the temps that you’re describing, I don’t think scrimping on four or five ounces in the jacket is a good idea. Will you even notice that, given your camera etc? “Light” philosophy for jackets in those temps may be the wrong way to go. However I’m out of my depth in terms of the temps that you’re describing.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I’d second the Montbell Alpine box baffled jacket.  For a few ounces more than all the down sweaters out there, you’ll have a very warm jacket that helps you rest while staying cozy and warm.

Holger B
    BPL Member

@burgerb

Thank you for all the responses! The Foam Pad is a good idea.

The Phantom Parka and the Montbell are all good choices and I had them on my list. Then I found the Big Agnes Fire Tower Belay Parka – it was heavily reduced in price.  Hope it will do it’s job.  But it packs small and when I put it on I look like a the Micheling Marshmallow Man.

Now I’m looking for a shell jacket to go with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools