Topic

Arctic level sleeping pad system-primarily insulated w/ vacuum insulated panels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Arctic level sleeping pad system-primarily insulated w/ vacuum insulated panels

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

I don’t expect there to be much interest in this pad system because it is a fairly niche item (and fairly heavy and somewhat bulky), but maybe some might find it peripherally and conceptually interesting, and since I’ve talked about it, figured I may as well share it though I’m not completely happy with how it turned out (it turned out a bit heavier than I had hoped/anticipated).

Concept (next post will have pics):  Wanted a non air insulated and cushioned pad for very serious/extreme cold conditions (-30F and potentially significantly colder). Said pad needs to have very high R value for the weight and bulk. More importantly, it needs to be extremely reliable with no air leak type issues that are a potential issue with air inflated pads not even considering pressure changes based on temp fluctuations.  Why not just CC foam?  Mainly the bulk and I don’t find foam on a hard ground all that doable anymore.

Motivation: Goal or dream to eventually do an Antarctica trip if funds ever allow for it.  Arctic trip would probably be cheaper, but I don’t want to have to deal with things like Polar bears as I don’t want to be lugging a rifle or copious amounts of bear spray (apparently they can be pretty persistent).

Solution:  Primary insulation is based on vacuum insulation panels that are homemade/MYOG. Some insulation is provided also by a combo of the thin EVA pad that is underneath them, along with the strategically placed kapok filled “mini pillows” that are used for cushioning, and the “loft pocket” areas where a sleeping bag’s insulation would fill in some.  Understood is that a thick sleeping bag, and not a quilt would be used with such a system.

Why vacuum insulation?  Cuts down on bulk primarily, a bit on weight, and is the most efficient form of insulation. There are reports that vacuum insulation panels actually get more efficient/higher performing in very cold temps, which is unique to this form of insulation (for example there is an Alaskan group that put VIP’s in a house for testing and found the above to be true).

Why kapok?  Light weight, inexpensive, highly insulating, environmentally sustainable, and more cushioning comfort than foam (kapok is commonly used as a stuff in natural cushion market etc). Pretty durable with compression cycles.  Almost as light and insulating as lower fill power duck down, but resists compression more.  Compresses more than foam, but not as much as down. Sort of a sweet spot for cushioning.  What is kapok?  It is a fiber grown in a seed pod of a tree that are short, pretty fine but hollow fibers that are sealed at one end but not the other.  Also covered in a thick coating of natural wax which makes them highly hydrophobic.  Before foam became widespread, kapok fiber was used in life vests, Arctic boots, etc because it is buoyant in water (more so when encased in a waterproof fabric/matrix), highly insulating, and highly hydrophobic.  It is not used as a insulation fill in things like sleeping bags or the like, because it doesn’t compress down as much as down and it tends to clump more.  Also not quite as insulating per weight and loft/volume as higher fill power goose down (more akin to 500/550 duck down).  However, it is excellent insulation for smaller items like booties, pillows, etc.   I’ve used a kapok stuffed pillow for a number of years now and it is by far my favorite pillow material.

Execution/implementation:

When I have made VIP’s in the past, I have used more “traditional” core materials such as perlite, fumed silica, and/or fiberglass batt (for homemade coolers/warmers).  Fumed silica is the best filler/core material for VIP because it has a very high insulation value even when not under a vacuum and it is very light weight.  It is very similar to silica aerogel in its weight and very low thermal conductivity (but far cheaper).  It is probably the most commonly used material by industry to make VIP’s.

However, it wasn’t a good material to choose for this purpose because it is a somewhat fragile/brittle material and besides being under atmospheric pressure at a vacuum of 28″ Hg, it would also be subject to my body weight pressure and in an uneven way.  Fiberglass batt would have been robust enough, but it is heavy.  Perlite would suffer the same issues as fumed silica, and isn’t as good insulation wise anyways (thought significantly less expensive).  None of these materials are particularly sustainable either (takes a lot of energy to make these materials).  And fumed silica is fairly expensive.

I needed something that could take compression no issue, that was soft, with some give but also resists compression, was light weight, insulating on its own (in case any leak developed), reasonably priced, and hopefully more environmentally sustainable.  This naturally led back to kapok–not just for the cushioning pillows, but also as a core material for the VIP’s.  Because the fibers are hollow and sealed at one end, they resist very high compression, but while being soft, light weight, having some give/compression.  A material I could roll around on with my body weight and not have to worry about damaging either the fill/core material nor damage the plastic & aluminum films it was encased in.  The downside is that it does compress some vs a more stiff material like the ones mentioned above (especially fumed silica and perlite), which means you need to pack more material in, which does increase the thermal conductivity some.

Also, being a soft material that I had to stuff in there, vs pouring in a powder of stiff, evenly spaced material, it was also hard to get the thickness completely uniform.  But the tolerance ranged from no less than 1/4″ of vacuum and no more than 1/2″ of vacuum.  For the most part, I was able to keep it in that range (a couple spots were closer to 3/4″).

A typical industry VIP provides around R 25 to 30 per inch.  Since I was not using the favored fumed silica, but kapok fiber primarily, it wouldn’t be that high. Probably more in the range of R 17 to 20 or so per inch (but this would need to be tested for more exact numbers).  So some areas of these panels would be closer to R 5 and some R 10.

Then we need to factor in the few inches of the kapok fiber cushion mini pillows. When fully lofted, these are around 3 inches or so, but when laid on, compress down to around .5″ or so. This is around R value of 2 or so. For the “loft pocket” areas that the down sleeping bag would fill in, factor in similar (probably slightly higher).

Then the thin EVA foam pad with an IR reflector adds a small amount of insulation, and then the entire system being encased in a waterproof fabric on the bottom and a low CFM, but breathable material on the top would contribute a bit to the overall insulation.  So I would guessitmate that at the thinnest areas of the pad, it would provide around R 8 and in the thickest areas around R 13.

Dimensions and general stats of the pad:  I didn’t want a full pad.  My lower legs don’t need as much insulation nor cushioning as the rest of my body, especially my core (I wear shorts most of the winter etc). CC Foam can be used for that.  The pad is 43″ long and at the widest it is 26″ and at the narrowest part 17.5″.

Protection of the VIP’s:  The thin EVA foam pad is primarily for protection of the bottom of the VIP’s. Gives them a little cushion from any potentially sharp, jutting, etc type conditions.  Also to provide a lower slip surface.  Then the whole system is placed in a fabric sleeve that has Mountain silnylon on the bottom and 1.7 oz/yd2 Mountain ripstop nylon on the top–both pretty tough fabrics for their weight.  Course the kapok cushions (not to mention the thick sleeping bag) would also provide abrasion, cushion, etc protection too.  But I wanted the whole system to be maximally protected from any potential punctures, abrasion, etc. When transporting the pad on a pulk or in a large pack, the VIPs would be stored in the fabric sleeve as well.

In the pics later, you will see that the VIP’s are kept connected both to each other and to the thin EVA foam pad with industrial strength velcro.  Not shown in the pics, but the kapok cushions are also fastened/secured with industrial strength velcro to the VIPs (I took that pic before I had put those fasteners on).  For the kapok pillows, I purposely used an uncoated 1.1 oz/yd2 nylon ripstop so that I could use the adhesive velcro (wouldn’t work with a nylon with DWR or silicone coating).  Also, it was extra material/fabric lying around from a previous project and it works just fine for the purpose. Again, it is being extra protected by the bivy like sleeve that it all goes in, so didn’t need to be an especially robust material.

Weight…this is where I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping I could around a 4 or so lb system.  For such a high degree of faff and worry free insulation, that is acceptable.  But, it turned out to weigh 6.17 lb.  Granted, this would probably be used with a pulk type system.  But, I also realized (after the fact!) that if I thought outside of the box more, I could get the weight of such a system down significantly.

I have plans to build a truly UL cot that is an inch or so off the ground.  Once you get off the ground, you need significantly less insulation.  I expect the cot to be around 2 lbs.  And while I don’t find foam all that comfortable on hard ground–I think that foam on a cot would be a different matter, so I will likely go with CCF as the insulation.  I’m actually more excited by the UL cot idea/concept than I was about the above project.

(Btw, for a preview of the next project, it will be made out of a reinforced bamboo poles and polypropylene webbing primarily. The bamboo sections will be fit into lightweight and waterproofed wood or foam blocks, and the PP webbing will be run both lengthwise and width wise [around 2 1″ straps for length and 4 1″ for width.  The bamboo will be reinforced with S glass grade fiberglass cloth, high strength epoxy, and/or kevlar tow/thread on the outside, and expanding closed cell foam [aka CCF] in the core.  I have previous experience with experiments with such composites and they are VERY strong and very tough for the weight–often more than most carbon fiber poles, though not quite as stiff as the highest quality CF poles.  As mentioned, thicker CCF will go on top of this for insulation, some for structure, and some cushioning. When I say the weight of the cot will be around 2lb, I’m not factoring in the weight of the foam pad though).

Pics in next post

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

VIP’s adhered to thin EVA foam with IR reflector on top:

Kapok cushions adhered to top of the VIP’s (with velcro that got added later after the above pic):

And the system contained within the Mountain silnylon bottom and 1.7 oz/yd2 Mountain ripstop 6.6 nylon top fabric sleeve:

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Note, there are some other ways of minimizing the weight for such a system IF one can sleep comfortable on foam.  You could use the fumed silica and get a more even and lighter VIP, and then simply put these between two layers of CCF.  One thicker CCF pad on the ground, the VIP’s on top of that, and then another layer of CCF on top of the VIP’s.  That should allow one to use fumed silica, which would definitely cut weight and produce a more uniform VIP.

In my youth, I could sleep on foam on the ground. Not so sure I could do the above, though theoretically you could do a more dense and rigid foam on the bottom and then a softer foam on the top.  With 2 layers of foam and the VIP’s in between same, it might be comfortable enough?

I’m not sure I’m going to test this or not, since I’m more focused on the cot concept. But figured I would mention it if anyone else was inspired to use VIP’s as part of a ground pad insulation system for extreme cold temps (the issue being, even if one uses a hot tent, you still need significant ground insulation since it takes a long time for the ground to heat up and meanwhile it is a major thermal conductive sink).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

you could find -35F in Alaska.  Grizzly bears aren’t quite as bad as polar bears : )

I had to look this up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_insulated_panel

It said ” A small decrease in pressure has no effect on the thermal conductivity of a gas, because the reduction in energy-carrying molecules is offset by a reduction in collisions between molecules. However, at sufficiently low pressure, the distance between collisions exceeds the size of the vessel, and then the conductivity does reduce with pressure.”

mentioned 1 mBar = 1/1000th of normal air pressure.  your outside membrane would have to be very good to not let in that much air

at risk of stating what’s well known –  a foil will only be effective if there’s an air space next to it.  If the foil is touching some other surface, it will conduct heat like normal.  So, a foil suspended inside an air mattress is good.  Or wrapped around the outside of you.  But if you lay on a foil it won’t work, but wouldn’t hurt either.  It would prevent water from passing.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It seems to me that moving to a cot right off could save a lot of weight as it gets you off of the substrate.  Then, you might leverage from the hammock guys with underquilts as some of those nutty guys hang down to -40 F.  Good luck,

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Hi Jerry,

True, Alaska does get pretty dang cold, but unless you’re really far north, it doesn’t get that cold when you have significant daytime (near the summer solstice).  Definitely would need the long days for this kind of trip.  That’s the nice thing about Antarctica, their summer is colder than Alaska and Greenland, but plenty of light (and no bears at all).

My device pulls 28″ Hg. That is considered a medium vacuum. It is definitely enough to significantly increase insulation.  There is not much air left in there at 28″ Hg.  The material that I use is rated for that level of vacuum.  And to put things into perspective some.  I did an interesting experiment where I took 2 panels of some 1/4″ birch plywood and laminated each side (of each panel) with a layer of 3.7 oz/yd2 fiberglass cloth and a strong adhesive.  Then I put .75″ bamboo columns on each of the 4 corners between the two reinforced panels and bonded them there.

Then I put it in the sealing material and pulled a vacuum.  Despite being reinforced with the fiberglass cloth+adhesive, the plywood started to crack and splinter under the pressure (near the middle, outer part of the panel structure).

The companies that make vacuum insulation panels don’t tend to put out specific numbers of how much exact vacuum they are under, at least that I haven’t noticed so far.  Research is also sometimes a bit vague about it too. Like I saw one paper say “about” or “around” 1 mBar when talking about VIP’s.  That btw, is the equivalent to 29.5″ Hg and is a fairly hard/high vacuum that isn’t easy to achieve.   I don’t know for certain, but I suspect that most industry made VIP’s are in the range of 28 to 29″ Hg.  I really doubt these companies use the super specialized equipment and processes necessary for more high vacuums for these VIP’s. It wouldn’t be cost effective in that case, especially when once you get to around 28″ Hg, the insulation values start to really go up, and they are semi mass producing them.  That, and an issue is, the harder the vacuum you pull, the more the plastic film/laminate part of the VIP will start to outgas like crazy.  Hence, you don’t want to have it under too high of an initial vacuum so that process slows down.

Yes, I’m aware of the IR reflection issue. This was just foam that I had lying around that happened to have an IR reflective layer on it.  Awhile back I had bought a large roll of this thin EVA foam (sold for underlayment insulation) for quite reasonable, and it was what I had on hand to use for the foam.  This is why I didn’t focus on the IR part in my OP, except to very briefly mention that it had an IR reflector layer on it. I probably could have taken off the aluminized mylar layer, but it didn’t seem important one way or another and was just more work/time.

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

Hi Jon,

Yeah, I realized that right after I finished the above project and weighed it.  I thought about not posting this project to begin with because of this.  But yes, I’m going to be working on an UL cot that will be around 1″ or so off the ground. And I’ll probably use primarily foam for the insulation. I’m hoping with the foam being on top of stretched out 1″ webbing, that it will be comfortable enough to sleep on.  I will probably try a 2 layer foam solution where the bottom foam is flat/solid type and then like the egg crate type foam on top of that.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

sometimes an idea isn’t directly useful but inspires some other idea that is.  Or, for a problem that makes an idea useless, someone will have a solution

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

based on that other thread, I guess you have to worry about polar bears in Alaska also : )

Justin W
    Spectator

@light2lighter

True.

Haha, yeah I saw that…no thanks!

(Not trying to make light of the article and what happened, but amused at the timing involved).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools