Topic

Anyone in Tuoloumne? How are the fires affecting the area?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Anyone in Tuoloumne? How are the fires affecting the area?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I was planning on getting up to Tuolomne area this Fri-Sun. Ten Lakes, Young Lakes or Glen Aulin. Anyone have any idea how bad the smoke and ash is in those areas?</p>
    alternative ideas? Anywhere north is too far for me. I don’t want to go south of Mammoth area because it will get too far for my friend.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

It completely depends on the wind.  On Saturday we could see a huge plume of smoke from Olmsted Point near Tenaya Lake, but the sky was a beautiful clear blue where we were, and east of us in the high country.

But I remember a trip we took a few years ago during the Rim Fire.  We chose to hike up Bloody Canyon and camp at Upper Sardine, because it was smoke free.  But by 5 p.m. the wind had changed…and we were getting smokier by the minute until dawn.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Highway 140 is currently closed, between Briceburg and Cedar Lodge/ El Portal due to wildfire.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

https://www.sierrawave.net/smoke-outlook-for-ferguson-fire-7-18-7-19/

I am trying to monitor the smoke in the Sierra too, so I am subscribing to this thread. I’ve called the USFS in Bishop and Lone Pine. Not too bad, at the moment. They were smoked out in Bishop a few days ago. They are just letting the fire at Whitney Portal burn. https://www.sierrawave.net/smoke-outlook-for-ferguson-fire-7-18-7-19/

Kenneth Keating
    BPL Member

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

You can go here and via the webcams see exactly at the moment what’s happening.  One issue with planning trips based on smoke is the wind direction can slightly change and +5 miles away you can go from clear to smokey and vise versa quite quickly.  But one advantage is you can get some amazing sunsets and sun rises!

Check the dates and times on the webcams to ensure they’re current.  It appears the one at Tuolumne Meadows is from last Sept., so it may not be in operation.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Don Burton
    Spectator

@surfcam310

Locale: City of Angels

Thanks for the responses. After speaking to a friend in the area we decided against Ten Lakes because it seems every day it’s smoked out due to NW winds.

We’re going to Jennie Lakes for a quick overnighter. I’ll report back.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Sign at Tioga Pass.  From Hikin’ Jim’s FB page.

And here I am slaving away over my Lil’ Chef smoker with these sockeye fillets.  In CA, I could just lay them outside on racks and be done with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools