Topic

Ansel Adams Wilderness advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ansel Adams Wilderness advice

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David D
    BPL Member

@daved

Hello all,

On May 22nd I will be doing a 3 day trip in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. We are planning to do a loop starting at Agnew Meadows taking the PCT High Trail to 1,000 Islamd Lake and returning on the JMT toward Devil’s Postpile. Max elevation for the whole trip is 10,000 feet. I am a little worried about the time of year and assuming there will be snow. Does anyone have any sage advice concerning this trail or wilderness area? Permits and bear cans are taken care of. I will have microspoikes but not planning on crampons or ice axe.

Thanks,

Dave

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I would, at most, bring microspikes.  I’d never bring full crampons for use on spring snow.  It’s rare to need/want an ice axe.  Unless you do.  If you have some flexibility in your schedule, you can wait for an steep, icy, early-morning slope to soften up later in the day and kick steps into it as you go.

While elevation is important, also look for any high, north-facing steep slopes.  Those will be the last to have snow/ice on them and also take the longest to soften up each day.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

My advice would be to take microspikes—and avoid any place that requires anything more.  There is lots to see in this area without getting above 10,000 feet, so fee free to do that.  The pass between Garnet and TIL on the JMT straightforward and gradual—no dangerous inclines or likely cornices.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

One more thought:  May is just about perfect for high water.  That’s a lot scarier than snow.  Be careful and don’t cross anything that makes you think twice.  And think twice about crossing any stream.

David D
    BPL Member

@daved

Thanks David,

I will most likely bring the microspikes on the trip and then make a decision before hitting the trail head if they make it in my pack. The only reason I am thinking about it is because a June Mt. Whitney trip I took with a lot of snow starting at around 9,000 feet. Granted, there was a lot of snow fall that year.

Where in the far North Woods are you? I am originally from northern Wisconsin, which I consider the north woods.

Thanks,

Dave

David D
    BPL Member

@daved

Paul,

You bring up a good point with the high water that I had thought of but forgot to post here. We will definitely be wary of water crossings and will have footwear plus gaitors. Defintely not worth getting swept away. Thanks for the reminder.

Dave

Jim Fitzgerald
    BPL Member

@jimfitz12000

Locale: Southern California

Although a low snow year, road to Reds Meadows (includes Agnew Meadows, etc.) might not be open.  Might have to park at kiosk parking area and hike to/from trailheads.  Check Inyo National Forest website for road information.

Minaret Creek Bridge on JMT washed out last spring, so you will have to wade if you hike JMT to Devils Postpile.  I waded across several times late July/August last summer, during high run off.  There is a sandy bottom, at least there was last summer; was not a difficult crossing at all.  Location is about two miles upstream from Devils Postpile.  Can always hike JMT south to Shadow Lake and take the River Trail back to Agnew Meadow’s trailhead.  For early season in this area, despite the low snow level, I would bring micro spikes.

David D
    BPL Member

@daved

Jim,

That is great input. I’ll check the Inyo website for road status. I figured the shuttle wouldn’t be in use, but was banking on the road being open.

Dave

Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

David – I did this trip in reverse in late June of last year, which was a big snow year, and might be similar to what May will look like this year.  A link to my trip report is here.

I only brought microspikes and I thought that was fine with my hiking poles.  I would definitely bring those again.  I never wished I had an ice axe or any other gear.  It was not hard to navigate in that area with some snow cover, except for the area right around the trailhead, but overall, it wasn’t bad at all.

David D
    BPL Member

@daved

Rick,

Thank you for the post.  Your trip report was very helpful.  I may change my plans so that I start my trip on the river trail and then end via the PCT.  This way I can gauge the water crossings early on in the trip and prevent my group from getting stranded going the opposite direction.  I will also be carrying an Osprey Exos, but in the 48L size.

Dave

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools