Topic

Sierra Loop – Ansel Adams Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sierra Loop – Ansel Adams Wilderness

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

First time, long time.

I just did a small loop in the Ansel Adams wilderness on June 23rd-25th, which started in Agnew Meadows, went to Shadow Lake, Garnet, Thousand Island, and back to Agnew on the High Trail.

https://awhite4777.pythonanywhere.com/SierraMapperAlpha/default/mapper/m143/m033/m030/m167/m143

I was looking forward to it all year, but was a little worried about this year’s snow pack.  There wasn’t a lot of good info on the snow conditions (which is part of the reason I’m writing this), so we just decided to go for it, and if we ran into anything that we were uncomfortable with, we’d just turn around.  I can’t let fate ruin my life again!  I have a kid on the way in September, and I’d like to be around for that!

At Shadow Lake

There wasn’t much snow at all on the first day to Shadow Lake, but a lot of the trail was wet, along with my feet, and the creeks were flowing strong.  It was warming up to about 80°F during the day, and cooling down to about 40°F at night.  I’m glad I brought some light water shoes for camp while I let my shoes dry, despite them making me look like a weenie.  Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of said shoes to share with you.  We found a nice camp on the JMT, along Shadow Creek, and had the place to ourselves!  On the way up to Garnet, snow was consistent above 9,000 ft, especially in tree covered areas and on north facing slopes.  The snow was basically constant all the way to Thousand Island Lake, and a little past it.  It was fun putting our navigation skills to the test, since we couldn’t see the trail.  The scenery was fantastic, as always.

1st Camp – along shadow creek

1st Camp – along shadow creek

Above Garnet

Just past the Thousand Island Lake outlet

We brought microspikes and camp shoes, but didn’t really bring any other gear.  An ice axe wasn’t necessary where we went, but our trekking poles were helpful.  The microspikes helped with traction, but I still had some issues with the afternoon slush.  There were only a couple of sections that were sketchy and required more caution.  My friend also brought his Abominable Snow Corgi, who we will call Will ( ‘cause his name is Will).  And despite his 4” long legs, and going through some suncups as big as him, Will was able to keep up without a problem.

Will

One benefit from the snowpack is that it kept the crowds away.  Our first day, we only saw two other people, and only a handful on the second – all PCTers.  I was in the same area this time last year, and there were a ton of people on the JMT, and no snow on the trail.

The mosquitoes were pretty tame, and just starting to come out in some areas.  I only applied deet once, and was fine otherwise, without a headnet.  This was mostly on the High Trail, which is exposed to the sun and mostly snow free.

On the High Trail, looking towards Shadow Lake

I also got to test out my new pack, an Osprey Exos 58, which I’m very happy with.  It was very comfortable, and carried the weight well (24 lbs total at start).   I also got to break in my trail legs before a bigger loop I have planned for August (South lake, Simpson Meadow, Lake Basin, Mather Pass, Palisade Basin, South Lake).  Note to self – more breaking in required.

https://awhite4777.pythonanywhere.com/SierraMapperAlpha/default/mapper/m010/k111/xOUo/k101/k103/k048/k042/xJvj/k079/m010

The road to Agnew Meadows was closed to vehicles, but open to foot traffic.  They plowed it the day we left, so it’s snow free and easy to walk on.  I have no idea when they will open it for the shuttle, so plan on an extra 4 mile walk to the trailhead if you’re going soon.

I also got to hit up Copper Top BBQ in Big Pine on my way home to SoCal, which is always worth a visit!

Road Walk

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Thanks for the report! The snow is about what I expected, I can’t wait to get out there-

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Great info. More pics of Will!

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Pretty much did this exact loop last year starting on June 29th, just backwards. We left Agnew and returned via the shuttle from Devil’s Postpile. Really cool to see how the snow changes the landscape exactly a year later.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools