Topic

Another Ultralight Saw Idea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another Ultralight Saw Idea

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Greg
    BPL Member

@slalomnorth

Hey guys and gals,

I recently went to purchase a replacement blade for my silky saw and the saw the price for one. WOW! $30!

This led me to try my hand at making my own ultralight saw. I got the idea from a YouTuber (knifepointgear). He has them for sale made out of carbon fiber. I made mine out of hardened aluminum, a 9” coarse carbide tipped blade, cotter pin, and some dyneema cord. To tighten the blade in you just find a stick on the ground about the width of your thumb, and twist to tighten. It’s an extremely solid system, and have cut a lot of wood with it already. One of the most important parts in my testing is having the I.D. of the tube within .001” of the blade so it fits perfectly.

If you want to see some videos how it works checkout “knifepointgear” YouTube channel. My favorite part about this saw is how you can just go down to the hardware store and get a replacement blade, cheap. Also, the carbide tipped blades last far far longer than my silkys. Another added bonus is the stick on the end acts as  a t-handle and is quite comfortable. You can get any blade length/teeth that suits your fancy, and it works with the aluminum handle.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Very cool. I also like how you can carry and easily swap out different blades for different types of cutting: fine tooth for hardwood, bone, and antler, coarse teeth for green and soft wood. Is the weight 2.6 oz or 0.26 of an lb?

Greg
    BPL Member

@slalomnorth

2.6 oz

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Nice! Will have to make one of these for a friend. He brought some sort of chain saw blade with him on our last trip. Looked heavy and tiring to use.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Love my Silky F180, but this setup weighs half as much and I love using a carbide blade! Thanks so much for posting!</p>

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

Inspired by this thread to try a similar design with PVC.  This is 1/2″ pipe.  If you use 3/4″ I think it is big enough to be able to store the blade in the pipe.  You can also make this floatable if you screw cap both ends.  This weighs 2.9 oz although I can gram weenie it a bit more and I think I may go with a shorter blade.   top

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

Brian Devlin
    BPL Member

@bdevlin

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I think storing the blade inside is a big plus. Nice idea.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

A couple of quick tidbits for those that don’t know:

The pruning sawzall blades with the teeth designed for green or dry/soft wood – as pictured by Brian – tend to be a bit thinner and lighter per given length than the construction blades.  They also tend to cut limbs faster, in my experience, and the non-carbide ones can be sharpened with a fine diamond file/stone/lap.  This is also true for Silky blades, incidentally…even the impulse-hardened models, although these are not easy to work with due to the complexity of the tooth shapes.

For those that prefer the tube/sawzall configuration, here’s a thought: nest a smaller-diameter piece of tubing inside the main handle to act as the tensioner bar.  This way you don’t have to find a sturdy piece of wood, and the weight gain would be very minimal.

(As an aside: my 6-ish” Silky with a carbon handle is 2.6 ounces, as well.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!