Topic

Another Dirtbag Cook Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another Dirtbag Cook Pot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was checking out the pots and pans in my local thrift store and came upon a stainless steel Mason jar. It was designed for drinks with a hole in the lid for a straw.

Rough specs: 4 ounces for the main pot plus 0.8 ounce for the lid and holds 30oz/888ml. That is the same weight as a Snowpeak 700 mug! It is about 5-3/4″ tall and 3-5/8″ diameter. The lid has a silicone seal.

I think it has about the same potential as the IMUSA mug and other “found” cook pots.This one was all of $1.99 and I found similar new ones on eBay for about $10. I need to find a rubber plug for that hole in the lid that can double as a knob. I see a cozy being made soon :)

They are sold in bulk by the same outfits that make promotional items. You could outfit a whole Scout troop for cheap.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Nice- water bottle on the trail…cooking vessel at camp.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Go for a group buy!  $4.13 for 50

My guess is that they are not bare Stainless Steel but coated on the inside & out.  It is an interesting option though.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Nope, plain 18/8 stainless, like a Klean Kanteen, albeit thinner.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

Fairly certain they sell these at craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michaels

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

TJ Maxx, Ross, or Marshalls usually have an odd assortment of water bottles. There are wire bail style handles made for Mason jars too, which would make a perfect combo for cooking with one of these jars.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools