Topic

An Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable An Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation

• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Mart.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to: An Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation

An online live (and recorded) webinar introduction to map and compass use for hiking and backpacking.

Jim Cowdery
    BPL Member

@james-cowdery

Locale: South Florida

I always hike with a paper map and use orienteering skills to keep track of my position.   An properly calibrated altimeter is also an extremely useful tool and can be used in low visibility conditions.  Most altimeters don’t require frequent recharging.

the few times I have hiked with a gps I have still relied on basic orienteering to locate my position.

Maybe I’m too old school to rely on centuries old technology for locating my position.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

An properly calibrated altimeter is also an extremely useful tool…

^Yes.  It’s surprising how often you can find where you are knowing nothing but your general vicinity and your elevation.  Much faster and easier than triangulating when you only need rough precision.  I’ve never become addicted to a piece of gear faster than my first altimeter.

Patrick D
    BPL Member

@patrickdickey52761

So, to be clear, where I live right now is -1 degree 26 minutes. So, when I adjust my compass, the orienteering arrow will be a little to the west of the index point (direction of travel/true North)? I used to know this by heart, but I haven’t used a map and compass in decades, so I’m relearning it all.

Have a great day. :)
    Patrick.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So, to be clear, where I live right now is -1 degree 26 minutes. So, when I adjust my compass, the orienteering arrow will be a little to the west of the index point (direction of travel/true North)?

That’s right, though it might be more accurate to say the orienting arrow will be a little to the west of North on the dial.  What you said is right if North on the dial is aligned with the index pointer.

Scot M
    BPL Member

@one-t

What happened to the masterclass?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I believe it’s all still there. I am able to access everything.

Brian C
    BPL Member

@irxbacon

Just looked and I can’t find the master class either.

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Locale: Central Texas

“[T]he few times I have hiked with a gps I have still relied on basic orienteering to locate my position.”

I use GaiaGPS all the time for planning and for backcountry navigation. But, as good as it is, it can’t give you the “big picture” in detail as good as a quad. In the field, I, too, think you need both.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools