Topic

Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chase Jordan

@chasemilo99-2

Locale: Northeast US

Companion forum thread to: Altra Lone Peak NeoShell Review

The Altra Lone Peak Neoshell: light, zero-drop, wide toebox, waterproof-breathable. An ultralight backpacker’s shoe for the fringe season?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Neoshell is supposed to have a CFM of 0.5. That makes me wonder if these shoes dry out in a reasonable time. If that’s the case, these shoes could eliminate the major disadvantage of a waterproof shoe. But the other consideration is neoshell has 10k hydrostatic head and drops to 5k after a good amount of use, would be that sufficient for walking around in puddles?

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Justin, I think a 5K HH would be plenty for puddles. Stepping in a puddle puts very little water pressure on the fabric—far less, I’m sure, than a falling raindrop in a heavy storm. And 5K is more than enough to stop a raindrop.

Mark Baker
    BPL Member

@blewkitty

Was that 12 oz for a shoe or the pair.

Thanks

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Per shoe

NFN Scout
    BPL Member

@scoutout

I’ve had my version of these shoes since they first arrived and have put hundreds of miles on them. Let me add some more info to the spotlight review:

• I’ve been using them lots with Hillsound Trail Crampons (we shy away from Kahtoola on the White Mountains, because Hillsound have sharper spikes for the steepest ice). I find they work great. (see pic for a really steep ice section) But they are not as easy to use fixed crampons with, the sole is too flexible. Also fine for my snowshoes.
    • I’ve used them on 12 hr hiking days with pack and don’t need to take them off at end. Really nice.
    • With wet from bottom (puddles) they are very good.
    • With foot sweat… moderate to good. Had some sweat in my socks after longest days.
    • With heavy rain? Horrid. Tongue soaks up the water. (but they survived the light rains of Ireland fine)
    • Overall? Light and I find I use them as my main hiking shoes in all but very coldest weather. BUT???? I find these shoes among my most slippery on wet rocks. Kinda crazy for a waterproof shoe. I still just deal with it… but it’s an odd weakness. 
    Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Thanks for the review!  These look pretty good – the only other ones I’ve found comparable are the Merrell All Out Terra Ice Waterproof.  After some hikes/trail runs this mild winter in wet, sloppy snow and massive puddles (and complete fails using plastic bag WPB), I was considering getting something waterproof, but I just love my Trail Glove 3’s too much and don’t think I can handle having more than double the stack height and loss in ground feel.  I’ve been debating instead trying a pair of waterproof socks like Dexshell.  Ice is still a problem – I’ve tried every type of microspikes available at REI and they all just crumple my shoe and foot, very uncomfortable.  Once I need to get a new pair, I think I’ll try inserting some metal screws in the bottom of my old pair, although I’m sure they won’t handle anything like the picture above.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

@ Ryan K,

Not sure if these would be of any interest to you… https://gearjunkie.com/altra-golden-spike-track-shoe-review

Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

Thank Iago!  Those look pretty nice – reasonable prospective price too.  The article seems to emphasize these are only for sprinters, but seems like they would work fine long-distance for barefoot-style forefoot runners/hikers.  Not waterproof like Neoshell or Terra Ice, but I’m still not sure if having waterproof on a trail runner is ideal anyways for cold, wet conditions vs waterproof socks.  We had such a mild winter this year in Boston, there were only a few weeks I was stomping through slush puddles and trying to crawl up icy rock ledges.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools