Topic

Alternatives to the Sierra in high snow years

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Alternatives to the Sierra in high snow years

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

This might be a lame question, but here goes. I started doing online research about snow levels around the West (and will do more). Then I thought: Why not ask this community of more-experienced-than-I backpackers for ideas?

As the snow in the Sierra will be an impediment late into this summer, what are other mountainous (preferably) areas you’d recommend? I’m in the Bay Area, CA and would consider traveling a ways: like Oregon, Washington, maybe even Colorado (though they had lots of snow too, right?)

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

In Washington the Olympic N.P. coast is snow free now – not mountainous, but some very scenic and unique backpacking. The Eastern Pasayten Wilderness in the North Cascades typically opens up in June due to how far East it is from the Cascade Crest – very scenic mountain country. Also check out the Eagle Cap Wilderness and Sawtooth Wilderness as they often have different snow years than the Cascades do.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Or, just shift your Sierra timeframe into September.  Lower water, less people, less bugs, easier permitting, and the best time by far to be up there.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Lestor—Those are some intriguing ideas. Thanks!

Tom—Thanks. I’ve gone in September before and plan to again this year. I’m just wanting to get out more often, like one good trip each month, June, July, August, and September (retired, I have the time).

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I’m just wanting to get out more often, like one good trip each month, June, July, August, and September (retired, I have the time).”

Then in addition to Lester’s excellent suggestions, you might consider routes in the Cascades.  By July, and certainly August, there will be many routes open.  A few that come to mind are section hikes of the PCT like Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass with opportunities for side trips to nearby lakes;   routes in the North Cascades like Church Mountain and Excelsior Mountain;  a circumnavigation of Glacier Peak;  a hike into Canyon Lake from the TH at the end of the Suiattle River Road outside Darrington via Image Lake(closed to camping);  the high lakes along Icicle Ridge outside Leavenworth, WA.  So many others.  I’d advise sitting down with a map and doing some research.  Try the Mt. Baker Wilderness/Glacier Peak Wilderness maps to get started.  June will be difficult at best, even in a lower than average snow year, but things will start to open up in early July, and by August you should have many areas to choose from.  Be aware that streams will probably still be running high in early July in some areas.

Oops, I almost forgot:  The black flies and mosquitoes will be a serious nuisance until August most years.  Be warned, they can put a serious dent in your enjoyment of a stunningly beautiful part of the world.

Bottom line, I guess, from one who knows both the Cascades and the Sierra fairly well, is that this is a year to consider focusing on August and September as your window for quality trips.  Maybe take a look at Great Basin NP, or other obscure mountain ranges in NV, as an alternative for earlier trips?  Nick Gatel has hiked in some of the less well known NV ranges, IIRC.  Hopefully, he will chime in here.  If not, consider PMing him.  He is very forthcoming about sharing his considerable knowledge.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Snow levels will likely put a damper on some early summer trips I was kicking around.  A healthy snowpack would speed things up, but my fear is that in June it’ll be rotten snow on talus and unstable snow bridges in many areas, making for some sketchy XC.  I think this will be a later season than usual because of it.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Tom—Thanks for all the great suggestions! I’ll have to do some research and see what’s what. I’m really looking forward to going some place new in the mountains.

Wisner—Yeah, if we want to get out early (in the West) it might mean lower elevations and maybe further south.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I’ll mirror what Lester said about the Olympics somewhat. I’ve been encountering snow around 4500′ or so last week, but the trails leading are very scenic

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Postholer has accurate info mile by mile on the PCT and CDT. Google that.

The USDA also has an interactive map with snowpack info. Here’s the link:

USDA snowpack by station

Apparently snowpack in the Sierra is Hugely high. It’s also really high in southern and central  Colo. Wyoming seems mostly normal, some a little high some a little low with variations along the main crest in the Winds.

Generally it appears that everything north of the 42nd ( n. border Cal. Nevada and Utah ) is mostly below average and everything south of that is high and mostly really high.

Edited to add you might want to check the actual situation by clicking on particular stations. A couple of high spots @ the Winds: Cold springs on the east side and New Fork Lake on the west that are “high” are both @ 4″ instead of a typical 1.75. OTOH  there are some big numbers along the high Sierra.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

” The black flies and mosquitoes will be a serious nuisance until August most years. ”

Yeah, July on Mt Hood, Three Sisters can be terrible.  Sometimes if you can go really high, like over 7000 feet it helps.  Last year I was in Three Sisters and it was terrible.

Trinity Alps is nice and closer to California people.  I think they have higher than normal snow, maybe not as bad as Sierras.

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Thanks again for all the info and suggestions. “Go north, young man” may be this year’s direction.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve long thought of Lassen NP as a “right-sized” national park.  Big enough and varied enough to have lots of activities, geology, sightseeing, day hikes, backpacking possibilities but small enough to avoid the crowds, experience it pretty fully in a week, and even start to recognize other people in the park that week.

1.2MB park map here: http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads/lassen-volcanic-map.pdf

A slightly trimmed version to meet BPL file limits:

Leaving from the Park’s main road and heading east, there are lots of 1- to 4-night loops that you can do.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

New Mexico may be a bit far for you but would be a possibility for a May or June trip.

The Pecos Wilderness has some excellent trails. Here is one that looks interesting  https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/new-mexico/north-truchas-peak-backpacking-trip

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

The Los Padres National Forest is ideal in April/May and November but depending on where you go and whether we’re having a drought, you can hike it almost any time of year except summer (it’ll be in the 100s in the summer).

The San Rafael Wilderness, Dick Smith Wilderness, and Sespe Wilderness are great. There are high mountains with big trees, lowlands with chaparral, riparian creeks, oak woodlands, and total solitude where you follow bear tracks, not human tracks. You generally hike with a designated campsite as your destination, and many of these campsites have fire pits with grills and picnic tables (many of them don’t.) Trails can sometimes be faint or difficult to follow, but many are in excellent condition. You can buy maps from Bryan Conant that are color-coded as to their condition and you can get trip reports from the Hike Los Padres website.

Friends and I once did a hike on the Sespe River to one of the hot springs in August. After 10 miles of 100 degrees hiking with no shade, we got to camp and sat on 100 degree rocks and ate our 100 degree dinners, then went up to the hot spring and sat in 100 degree water. Did the same hike in December. It was nicer in December.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools