Topic

Alternatives to Fly Creek UL2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternatives to Fly Creek UL2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

Just tested out the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 this weekend, i loved the weight, however the size drove me nuts. It was very small width wise and there was barely any headroom since the tent tapped pretty aggressively. Do people have recommends for other single or double walled tents around or under the 2 pound mark? I would actually prefer options that can use trekking poles.

Looked at the tarptent MoTrail but it seems quite heavy for something that isn’t freestanding. The Duplex is a little out of my budget, but also seems small with only 45 inches of width.

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

In my opinion comparing ba fc to zpacks duplex makes little sense.
    First decide if you really need that freestanding feature. If you can live without it you are open to a much broader range of products. There are non cuben shelters which are almost half the price and still very very light.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nemo Hornet 2P

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Big Sky Soul –  Free standing in the 40 ounce range for $290

http://bigskyproducts.com/big-sky-soul-x2p-tent-ultralight-bargain.aspx

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

SMD Lunar Duo perhaps.

Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

@tauneutrino I do not need the free standing feature, but I do want a shelter with a inner tent / bug net. What suggestions do you have?

Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

I thought i would clarify by saying that I do not need the freestanding feature of the fly creek, but I do want an inner tent / bug liner and floor.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

are you saying you want a double wall tent like the fly creek or is a single wall o.k.( I understand that it not being freestanding is fine)

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Recent discussion, similar topic:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/best-1-2-person-tent/

Also check out the new releases from TarpTent.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I’ve been taking a good look at TarpTent myself, and the Moment DW is intriguing.  Just two pegs, so almost freestanding.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I would actually prefer options that can use trekking poles.
    Take a look at the just announced Tarptent Saddle.

(already suggested but here is the link :https://www.tarptent.com/whatsnew.html)
    Not ready yet but coming out very soon.
    About the same weight as the MoTrail .

A feature that some will like is that the fly doors don’t have zippers (they overlap) and if in tight spaces you can eliminate one vestibule and just have that side flat against a bush/tree/wall whatever. Takes 2×25″ wide mats.

franco@tarptent

Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

@annapurna Not sure, I don’t really have experience with the condensation issues that people typically experience with 1 wall tents. Do you have any opinions one way or the other?

@franco
    the The Saddle 2 looks promising, I’m going to do a bit more research

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Freestanding is so overrated.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If I take a tent( I usually am a tarp person)I take a single wall

CLEVER HIKER ULTRALIGHT TENTS TARPS AND BIVYS .

Jason Feng
    BPL Member

@jason21feng

@annapurna Does increasing ventilation for 1 wall tents to prevent condensation lead to colder nights?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

At $248 on sale the SMD Lunar Duo seems almost like a no-brainer. That said, Tarptent makes a great product.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

One thing about the Lunar Duo is it’s huge. A 2-person tent that actually accommodates 2 people is a rarity these days. Although I have heard that the TTs are also generously (and realistically) sized as well. For the rare times that I need a 2-person tent  I might just get a Lunar Duo.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

…..

Scott Koons
    BPL Member

@skoons

What abt lighthearted gear?  The lighthearted solo appears to be a good choice.  I’ve never been in one but I like the reviews of it.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

What abt lighthearted gear?  The lighthearted solo appears to be a good choice.  I’ve never been in one but I like the reviews of it.

Not the Solo for 2P. It has a lot of room, but the diamond-shaped floor leaves only enough room for 1 to sleep comfortably. Could work for an adult+child or +dog.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

For those who are seeking a traditional tent from a mainline manufacturer, the Mountain Hardware Ghost UL 2 might be a better choice than the BA Fly Creek UL 2. Several years ago I bought the Ghost predecessor, the Supermega UL 2, after a side by side comparison with a BA Fly Creek. The big difference is that the tent entrance leans outwards rather than inwards, offering crucial headspace for those of use who are taller than 6 feet. But the OP should consider reading the extensive discussions on this site about single wall tents, cuben fiber, and shaped tarps, before making a decision.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

If you want a comparable 2P tent with a fly and inner tent, the Nemo Hornet 2P is your best comparison. I have the 1P version and prefer it over the BA Fly Creek. It’s side entry, the peak height is at the optimal position (where you would sit up), and it has more usable space.

If the OP is asking for a shelter with an inner tent, then half of the suggestions given are eliminated.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jason said he was not sure if he wanted a single or double wall tent that is why I asked him, and he answered

Not sure, I don’t really have experience with the condensation issues that people typically experience with 1 wall tents. Do you have any opinions one way or the other?

In the OP he mentions looking at the Mo Trail which is a single wall tent.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Nothing that I could add to Will Rietveld’s superb article, that’s for sure.

My experience with single wall shelters (Duplex and Duomid) is that condensation is rarely a big problem and is usually easily managed. Use a bandana, pack towl or sponge to wipe it down occasionally, if needed.

There are conditions where condensation is going to occur and there’s nothing you can do about it. A couple of years ago I encountered very wet conditions with rain, high humidity and high dew points that caused condensation inside my Duomid which was then dislodged by heavy rain to create misting inside the tent. Fortunately I had decided to bring my synthetic quilt (EE Prodigy) which combined with the occasional wipe-down with my bandana kept it under control.

Overall, however, not a big problem… definitely not enough for me to carry the extra weight of a double wall.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools