Topic

Alternative for Capilene Lightweight Pants?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alternative for Capilene Lightweight Pants?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Locale: North Cascades

I have the capilene lightweight long sleeve shirt and have been getting good use out of it. Patagonia used to make pants of the same material, but they were discontinued in 2019[1]. Does anyone know of something similar still available today? I’m looking for a lightweight breathable later to add just a touch of warmth for higher output activities or to use for sleeping. Thanks for the help!

[1]: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/long-underwear/patagonia-capilene-lightweight-bottoms

[2]: https://www.rei.com/product/884935/patagonia-capilene-lightweight-long-underwear-bottoms-mens

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

REI has its own branded lightweight long underwear bottoms.

However, the US Military’s long underwear lineup (GEN III E.C.W.C.S – Extended Cold Weather Clothing System) is probably the best out there for the money. They offer a Silkweight Polartec Powershield bottom this is simply fantastic. US made, and 1/3 the price of Patagucci.

I own two pairs of silkweight bottoms:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383871302262

https://www.polartec.com/news/polartec-launches-military-issue-collection

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Bradmacmt…

What do the Silkweight Polartec Powershield bottoms weigh in ounces or grams? (in what size?)

Can’t fine weight information anywhere… weight is a rough indicator of thickness/warmth…

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Size M, 4.48 0z’s / 127 g.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I like my Kuiu Peloton 97 zip-off pants.  Don’t even notice the zipper.  Around 4.4 oz I think.  Slightly short so needs boot length socks.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

The Kuiu web page says they are 5.5 oz…

But interesting…

DWR

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I ordered one of the Silkweight Polartec Powershield bottoms… we’ll see… but  up until now my choice has been the REI silk long johns for light weight bottom layer… they’re only about 3 ounces… and about as light weight as you can get…

DWR…

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

DWR, I’ve got my Kuiu’s weighing 4.1 oz on my Lighter Pack list.  Should be accurate – but you have me wondering now (so I’ll re-weigh). Cheers.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

I re-weighed my Kuiu Peloton 97 base layer pants & they are 4.1 oz (medium).

Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Great info! Thanks all. I have been looking at the Peleton 97 for the pants and hoodie already. I think the versatility of the Peleton 97 [1] will be worth the slight increase in weight over the REI silk weight. Now just have to wait for them to come back in stock…

[1] 5 Ounce Fleece Hoodie – Backpacking Light

PS Looks like there was an almost identical post to this a few months ago, my bad for missing that.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/lightweight-base-layer-bottoms-since-cap-lw-are-gone/page/2/?forum=gear%2Fgeneral-gear

Nathan R
    BPL Member

@nathanr

Locale: TX

Probably too warm for what you want, they let wind through, and are ugly, but I have a pair of polartec alpha direct pants that I use for sleeping and camp. Put them under hiking pants if around camp to block wind and bugs. 2.5 oz.

Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Where did you get your PolarTech Alpha Direct pants? 2.50z is even lighter than the REI silk weight.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

up until now my choice has been the REI silk long johns for light weight bottom layer… they’re only about 3 ounces… and about as light weight as you can get…

Quite fragile too, yes?

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Odlo if you can find them. That’s what replaced my lw cap with. I can’t remember which model but less than 5 ounces with a long inseam.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I have not found the REI silk long johns to be fragile … but then, the word ‘fragile’ is a relative term…

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

I have not found the REI silk long johns to be fragile … but then, the word ‘fragile’ is a relative term…

I should have asked an actual question… my apology!

Let me put it this way… the reviews of the REI silk long underwear are fairly negative in terms of durability. You apparently haven’t found this to be the case, but how would you compare them with, say, Polartec’s Silkweight Power Stretch material?

Would you wear REI’s silk LU under shorts to hike in?

Thanks

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Polartec’s Silkweight Power Stretch material?

I have no experience with this material….

Would you wear REI’s silk LU under shorts to hike in?

I don’t hike in shorts. But I do weather the REI Silk under hiking pants in the fall when it is cold… and the winter under ski pants. Like them in that situation as there is little friction between the pants and the silk and not so warm that I am too hot with them. Like a lot of things in backpacking… you’re mileage may vary… I just try things as what other’s say is often very different than my experience…

DWR….

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Interesting. I’ve never known anyone that doesn’t hike in shorts, though I’ve read about it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Brad

Perhaps you have never hiked in scrub where the stuff would tear your skin off?
    Nylon trousers do (usually) protect skin against this.

Cheers

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Hi Brad

Perhaps you have never hiked in scrub where the stuff would tear your skin off?
    Nylon trousers do (usually) protect skin against this.

Cheers

I’ve hiked in far worse, including Devils Club and Alder Hell in Alaska. But this is a backpacking forum that mostly deals with those walking on groomed trails. So someone that never hikes in shorts is an oddity to me.

Profunctory and passive-aggressive “cheers,”

Brad

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

this is a backpacking forum that mostly deals with those walking on groomed trails.
    Ah . . . . You might get some disagreement there. :)
    A lot of us spend a lot of time OFF-trail, especially in alpine areas.

Cheers

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

If stretch is not a requirement, I have found that windpants like the EE Copperfield windpants (or even the sew-your-own RayWay shell pants kit) are great and super versatile. They provide just enough warmth for when you are active and it’s cold out. They’re breathable because they’re not waterproof. (They’re essentially the same fabric as the inside of your sleeping bag, which is designed to be breathable.) I use them not only for backpacking but jogging super early in the morning when it’s cold. I sleep in them on backpack trips. They’re slippery so it’s way easier to turn over inside my sleeping bag without getting all tangled up.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools