Topic

Alpine Touring Pack Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpine Touring Pack Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Zachary S
    BPL Member

@zachscott

Looking for recommendations for a ski-touring pack. Requirements are below. So far my research has led me to the Ortovox Peak 45 which I’ve handled in person and seems to fit the bill. Just seeing if there are any other options I may have missed. My other top competitor was the Mystery Ranch Gallatin Peak 40.

1. Needs to have at least 40L of capacity so that it can be used on yurt trips or self supported overnighters.

2. Must have integrated helmet carry.

3. Must have provisions for ice tool carry.

4. Must have integrated ski/splitboard carry, preferably in multiple arrangements.

5. Must have a dedicated avy safety pocket, or at least dedicated sleeves for those items inside the main bag.

6. Reasonably priced (HMG Headwall is cool but double the price of the Ortovox)

7. Removable hip belt is a plus but not required.

8. External side bottle pouches a plus but not required.

9. hip belt with flexible arrangements a plus but not required.

10. Floating lid a plus but not required.

11. Prefer more pockets for organization vs just a single main bag.

12. Lightweight is a plus but not a driving factor, comfort and durability are higher on the priority list.

Scott Roach
    BPL Member

@clipster95

Locale: Bay area

I have the ortovox haute route 32. I love it for backcountry skiing day trips. One thing to keep in mind is with all of the organizational pockets eating up a substantial portion of the stated volume, I would be surprised if there is enough room in the main pocket to carry overnight gear and food,  even in a 45litre, with the addition of bulky winter layers, sleep system, food, etc.

I’ve done a ton of backcountry ski yurt trips and lots of snow cave or megamid trips over the years and the extra room of a large pack makes the trip so much more enjoyable without being too much of a burden to ski with.

My two cents.

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I have the Mountain Hardwear Snoskiwoski 40 and really like it  I haven’t had a piece of MH gear for years and was turned off by the goofy name, but it’s actually a very well designed pack. I’m an avalanche professional and am super picky about my touring packs – this is probably one of my favorite top date.

I think it checks most of your boxes.

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/p/snoskiwoski-40-pack-1945771.html?dwvar_1945771_color=100&dwvar_1945771_size=S%2FM&&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+AdWords+US&nid=16979019828&oid=&did=&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!!!!x!!&gclid=Cj0KCQiAqOucBhDrARIsAPCQL1aI2SPVZt4gvMB6lm4spBf7N0zhPXg9kYGDzmSPIIt2sax9Kf_CaVUaAg9wEALw_wcB

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If you can find a used Arc’teryx Khamski 48, it is a superb dedicated ski touring pack. It ticks all of your boxes aside from the dedicated helmet carry, but I just put mine under the top lid. Oh, and you might have to add a modular bottle pocket to the hip belt daisychain.

It took me a while to find one in the tall size. Arc’teryx has a terrible habit of discontinuing every useful item they come up with.

Backcountry Skiing Canada Khamski 48 review

Zachary S
    BPL Member

@zachscott

Thanks all. Some good suggestions here. Another thing to add in response to the first comment. This pack is a minimalist approach for overnighters. If I want more gear or want to stay longer I pull a pulk and usually drop it at camp.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I don’t know how much you are into doing your own gear modifications, but the pack that I used when I took my splitboard across Kodiak Island was an HMG 4400 Porter where I replaced the frame with an extended, modified inverted u-frame, added load lifters, plus some Zimmerbuilt bottle pockets. It was very light, and carried well enough.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

Whenever Philip sends such videos – it feels like an ad for “What real men do!” :-)

Philip – I see you eating, drinking coffee etc inside your tent in grizzly country – isn’t that risky?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Real women too.

Kodiak bears in the backcountry are wild and afraid of humans. The smell of me is much more of a deterrent than my food is an attractant.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

amazing stuff!

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Fantastic videos, Philip, I enjoyed every second of them. (And a great response to the typical BPL sexism.)

Zachary S
    BPL Member

@zachscott

Phillip, any detailed photos of the mods you did to your pack? Is it documented somewhere on BPL?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

It was quite a few years ago, but apparently I did document it.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

@Philip Tschersich

Those were awesome videos. Impressive. Thank you!

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Din’t worry about a dedicated helmet carry. You can buy those helmet nets/holders separately, and just add them to any other backpack.

I have the Osprey Soelden 42. It only comes in one size, which is a bit short for me (6’5”).

Like most Osprey gear, it excels at slick pockets and zippers etc, so ease of use is high. Weight is up there too though.

Only mod I did was adding ‘toggles’ for modern ice tools. It only has 2 classic loops, which don’t work well for modern ice tools without an adze or hammer back.

It has a removable top lid, and a permanent flap underneath that to cover the top when you don’t have the lid pocket attached.

Zachary S
    BPL Member

@zachscott

As a follow up to this post I ended up with two packs. I picked up the Ortovox peak 45 for my original use and am extremely happy with it. Just got back from a yurt trip and it worked perfectly. Enough space to fit the essentials while still being functional on the downhill. Highly recommended for anyone looking.

I also picked up a larger mountain Hardwear AMG to use on self supported trips. It’s heavy and bulky by this websites standards but it’s the most comfortable pack I’ve ever owned and will swallow any gear I put in it. More opinion on it in about 2-3 weeks once I get a chance to properly use it on a trip

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools