Topic

Alpha Direct?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alpha Direct?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

It is that time of year again and I don’t hear anyone talking about Alpha Direct.  Is it a pretty much settled item?

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

It is for me. I wore a Macpac Nitro on my PCT hike this year, and it was my favorite piece of gear. I wore it almost every day, and added it to my sleep system to get me through the cold Sierra nights.

I was sad when I burned a hole in my sleeve. Otherwise, it’s still in great shape.

I can’t recommend an Alpha fleece layer enough.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

How do the different alpha weight correspond to regular fleece? Would a 60g alpha be comparable to the Peleton 97 fleece?

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

I also have a Kuiu Peloton 97, and would compare Alpha 90gsm to be the closest with regards  to active insulation, but worn in conjunction with a wind shirt. I can get away with wearing the Peloton by itself if it’s not too windy.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks Tim. Is there any reason to switch to alpha from the 97?

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I had a Peloton 97 but I sent it back because I didn’t think it was warm for the weight when layered.  The Alpha 90 is going to be less insulation by itself but if you pair it with a wind jacket that actually blocks the wind I found the Alpha was much warmer.

Tim H
    BPL Member

@baldknobber2

I had the Peloton 97 before purchasing the Alpha hoodie, and while I like it, the Alpha can do everything the Peloton can do, but it dumps heat much better, and also dries faster if it gets wet. Like Brett said, the Alpha is noticeably warmer, in that you feel warmer pretty much right away, while you have to generate some heat before you feel the Peloton’s warmth.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@cgmoses74

I recently purchased an Alpha 90gsm and have taken it on one backpacking trip, plus multiple day hikes in varying temps and conditions, as well wearing it around the house A LOT. Just for reference, if you wear it all by itself and walk in the house, you will feel the air going through it on your skin. As soon as you pair it with even a t-shirt, you instantly feel its insulation value! (I don’t believe it’s meant to be used as a single layer, but not for sure). I absolutely love it!

On a day hike, I’ve paired it with the OR Echo sun hoody and OR Astroman separately on 45 degree days and it was perfect. I’ve worn a t-shirt, the Alpha and a thin synthetic jacket (REI Revelcloud) on a 35 degree sunny day and it was perfect. On a 45 degree night, I wore it with a t-shirt and my 40 degree quilt and it was perfect..and with the hood up I was toasty.

I can only see ever wearing it along with another layer and I find it to be SUPER versatile. I can’t agree more with Tim H on how well it dumps heat and dries very fast. I do not have a Peloton 97 for comparison. Additionally, I haven’t worn the 60gsm (or the 120), but with having the 90 I feel the 60 would be way too thin for my liking.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

@Chris M Just to be clear, you are using the 90g against your skin and then putting the shirts over that?

I agree that most people would want at least a 90G or a double 60g.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@cgmoses74

The Alpha Direct is my mid or active layer, not the baselayer.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Replaced a Patagonia cap 4 (gridded) hoody with a Timmermade 4004 (90g) hoody for a net loss of ~3 oz.  I absolutely loved the cap 4 but will likely never pack it again…the Alpha is that good.  Use it under a Tachyon windshirt hiking if its really cold. It is also a part of my sleep system. Agree the 90gsm is probably the sweet spot…60 would be too light, but the 120 probably rocks when conditions are super frigid.

Now debating whether to replace the matching cap 4 pants with 4004 pants even tho the weight savings would be only about 1 oz.

Also, I am super happy with Timmermade.  Great quality product and great communication.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am a convert to Alpha Direct (90gsm) – macpac nitro hoody.  Huge range of comfortable depending on how much air movement is blocked, very low water absorption — so dries quickly. Adequately comfortable against skin (though at least my core has a base). Only downside isn’t as abrasive durable as my previously loved Patagonia R.5 / Cap4 / Thermal Weight which I have moved to the likely retired box after 20+ years.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I’ve been making stuff this year in Alpha Direct.

It’s proving for me to be actually the best suited for stuff like gloves, hats, foot warmers/socks, than as a hoodie shirt.

If you do use it as a hoodie, make sure your shirt is as tailor-fit as possible to not allow much loose material, especially around the torso.

One massive misconception about AD, is that it doesn’t absorb water. While polyester yarn is very hydrophobic, the woven structure holds quite a bit of water if subjected to it hard or long enough. It’s miserable stuff to have to take off and put on when it is soaking wet. It is also hard to wring out the thinner AD without feeling like it’s going to rip or deform. It doesn’t self-drain from full submersion anywhere close to as good as some other top performers for water draining.

I find that AirMesh is quite a bit more durable than AD, while having similar warmth to weight ratio when paired with a shell. I prefer my AirMesh hoodie to both my AD 120 and 90 shirts.

As I think shown in testing here on BPL, if used for really cold weather, you need to use 60 or 90 AD layered, and not 120. I find AD when layered boosts the warmth more than what would be expected, especially with the thinner varieties.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I am trying to understand, how would the AD get wet initially?

I am just saying, from looking at AD and AirMesh, I don’t know how you are getting similar warmth to weight ratios based on wight since it seems like AM is not as thick and more dense than AD so please explain.

Thank you!

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

AD can get wet under a wet-out rain shell in rain. It can get wet from falling in water. It’s not the end of the world trying to keep it from getting wet, so it’s not going to be a huge factor for decision making for most people. It’s just a factor to take into account if needed. It does add a little bit of wetsuit type warmth in water when wearing as socks though. I’ve tested a few times with one foot using AD and the other not. Ad foot stayed a little warmer in cold water crossings at 38*F air temp.

AirMesh is not more dense than AD that I can tell, well, maybe the 60gm AD, but it actually breaths better than AD. If you look at the way it is designed, AirMesh doesn’t clump the insulation fibers like AD does, AirMesh fibers are mostly all individually spaced. You also have to take into account that AirMesh uses hollow fibers that are also not round.

Any difference in an AD 90 hoodie and AirMesh hoodie would come down to fit, NOT fabric. Getting the right fit for these shirts is the most critical part of keeping them warm when used with a shell. I have two AirMesh shirts. The larger one is by far way less warm.

I personally think that if Teijen Octa (AirMesh) fabric was available to the cottage AD hoodie makers, at the same cost, they would all be using it, probably fazing out for a lot of their AD sales.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

190 AD is not too shabby, either!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I don’t see Airmesh fabric weights listed…is there only one weight?  How does it compare to AD 90?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have an Alpha Direct 60gsm beanie. It’s less than half an ounce. When paired with the hood of a wind shirt or even worn over my runners cap, it’s just as warm as any other beanie. It lacks much structure, especially around the edges, and has no stretch, but it’s warm and super light.

I have an AirMesh hoodie. I can’t compare it to Alpha Direct. When you take it from the washing machine it feels dry already. You can finish drying it outside in the sun in just a few minutes, except for the trim which takes longer. It feels to me like it’s meant to be some kind of interfacing-like fabric, not really the outer garment, but it works really well. It also seems to have different properties whether you wear it smooth side out or fuzzy side out. Fuzzy side out (which is inside out for the hoodie I bought), it feels like it blocks a light breeze a little better.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Alpha is the bomb. S. Seeber showed that 60 is just a tiny bit less warm than 90, so 60 is where it’s at. It’s warmer  than Pelaton 97. No contest.  Alpha 60 is about as warm as an old 100 wt fleece, but half the weight. It functions as a baselayer about as well as Brynje, so it works as a base + midlayer if wicking eschewed.

I used to wear wind shirt + Cap4-type stuff with various fleecy things on top, depending on temp. Now I wear Alpha 60 with wind shirt down to 15F and then layer a second Alpha 60 for down to below 0F.

Windshirt plus Alpha 60 hoody is about 8 ounces. Old system of windshirt+powergrid base+light fleece vest = 16 ounces. No contest.

I’ve replaced my Torrid puffy with two Alpha 60 hoodies covered with my rain jacket. Same weight, far more flexible, dries faster, more durable, cheaper. Alpha 60 is a perfect sleeping shirt. Warm, comfy, does not wick sweat into my bag or quilt.

Alpha is the only game changer I’ve seen in UL BP gear recently.

One thing about Alpha: it shrinks. I have three hoodies. The first is three years old and has shrunk about one size. The second two are one year old and have shrunk about a half size. The hoods are now too small. I stopped putting them in the dryer. They dry so fast, it’s stupid to anyway. That hasn’t stopped the shrinkage. I don’t think polyester shrinks, so it must be the knit structure tightening up or something.

I would be very interested to see how the R-value holds up with long-term use. They remain furry, but hard to say whether they are as furry as when now. In any case, they have proven to be far more durable than I would have guessed based on the appearance of the knit alone. However, I rarely wear them without a wind shirt on top. I have done, though, in 60F temps with a light breeze, where the extreme air permeability made it wearable despite being far more insulation than would normally be bearable at such warm temps.

With a wind shirt, the extreme air perm allows for very rapid dumping of heat and moisture. Extremely versatile and flexible protection, super light, system dries about as fast as anything I know of. Pretty darn good stuff.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

There seems to be a considerable physical difference in recent production Alpha 60. I bought a couple of new Senchi Wren hoodies this year, and the individual tufts are much longer and denser than the previous production Alpha 60 I’ve seen, also in comparison to a Timmermade Alpha 90 hoody I owned. Overall the newer Alpha 60 looks ‘shaggier’, with more open space between the tufts. Anecdotally I find the newer Alpha 60 Wrens to be a bit warmer than the Alpha 90 Timmermade they replaced. Has anyone else noticed this difference?

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Stumphges, when you wear 2 Alphas, is the top one a larger size? I also find my Macpac Nitro warmer than a Peloton 97. I hand washed the Alpha Nitro from the get go as it is almost snug on me with no room for shrinkage. If I needed to wash in a machine I would only use a front loader w the Alpha in a mesh bag and lay flat to dry. I am thinking of getting a better fitting Alpha via Timmer, custom made. Im impressed with Alpha pperformance over Capilene or merino, with windshirt on top. When I take a break, a light puffy (REI 650) feels immediately warm. Not slept in Alpha yet but will do so once night temps are into 20s.

Mark L
    BPL Member

@apexmark

Inspired by Stumphges’ testimony I ordered some yards of 60 from Discovery Fabrics (https://discoveryfabrics.com/en-us/products/polartec-alpha-direct), bought the Alpha Raglan Hoodie plan (https://learnmyog.com/alphaRaglan.html), called my seamstress sister and she’s going to make me two.

If anyone has customization suggestions please let me know. I figure I’ll drop the hood on one of them, and go half a size larger on one of them, for the times when they’re both worn. Perhaps the one without a hood would be best sized to fit, for sleeping in.

Mark

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Bill, I’m actually using the one that shrunk a full size under the one that’s only shrunk half a size. But the next Alpha 60 I buy will be one size larger than my usual and I will layer that one over the top.

I have also worn my two Alpha 60 hoodies of the same size one over the other. It works, but not super-duper comfortable.

If going through a custom maker, I think one could ask for one in your normal size, and then another a full size larger, but with hem and/or sleeve length reduced to match the normal-size one. I think that would layer very well. The furry nature of Alpha does not make for the easiest layering, but it’s not too bad, as these layers are not coming off and going on multiple times per day. The only thing I adjust once the Alpha layers are in place is the overlying wind shirt – zip open and closed, hood on and off, etc.

BTW, all three of mine are from Superior Fleece. Their hoods used to be suboptimal, but now both their hood options are good. Their patterning is athletic, reminds me of Arcteryx stuff from the 2000s – generous shoulders and chest, slim but not skinny through the midsection.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Mark, I ended up cutting the hood off the one that’s shrunk a full size and wear that one as a base under another hoody.

If I was making two, I would make one a full size larger than the other. I think the material is thick enough that a full-size worth of extra girth would be welcome. But I’m sure that once you have the fabric in hand you’ll figure out what’s best.

Scott Emmens
    BPL Member

@multisportscott

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it and to everyone contributing to it.

My question is, has anyone seen the “new” Alpha WOOL Direct fabric? I can only find some mention of it in a couple of the Polartec Apex Award garments and another Salewa top online. Has anyone actually seen it, tried it or does anyone have specs available?

As another aside I have been testing some Primaloft Active prototype tops in both 75gm and 100gm versions. It works in a similar way to Alpha but feels less durable and you really need to keep it away from velcro! It’s kind of softer to the touch and feels lovely against your skin. Each surface is slightly different and i think it performs differently depending on what way it is worn. Anyhoo the only company that I am aware of that is using it commercially is OMM. Just chucking this out there.

Thanks, Scott in NZ

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools