Topic

Alcohol stove with simmer ring recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol stove with simmer ring recommendations

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The extent of my backcountry cooking has always been to simply bring water to a boil, but I’ve been preparing Knorr rice recipes at home and I think it might be a reasonable option for backpacking because it only requires a 7 minute simmer. And the price (about $1.25) is way better than Mountain House meals.

So my question is what is a good alcohol stove simmer ring combo? My knowledge of stoves is very limited. I’ve looked at the Trail Designs 12-10 stove and simmer ring, however I’d like to go without a cone if possible, even if it detracts from efficiency a little. Any recommendations?

https://www.traildesigns.com/products/12-10-stove

https://www.traildesigns.com/products/simmer-ring

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m assuming you’d still bring a windscreen and you’d need something to support your pot so a cone seems like the simplest, lightest way to do that. I’m sure you have considered this but I would be surprised if you were not bringing a wind screen or pot support, so why not use a cone?

As far as stoves go, how about one of Jon’s simmer rings and stove?

I don’t see any simmer options on Dan Y’s store right now but he’s offered Starlyte burners with smaller holes for years. I would think you could just drop a foil disc with a hole punched in it to choke the airflow on a Starlyte. If you really want to go without a cone then maybe a Fancy Feest would work. I’m pretty sure he has made simmer rings for those in the past. You might ask if he has some kicking around or can guide you in making one (maybe a couple inches of an appropriately sized beverage can?).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I have simmer rings for Fancee Feest. I’ll get a sale page made up shortly.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Okay great Dan. I’ve never made a Fancee Feast stove before and I know there are a few different types. Do you sell the Fancee Feast stoves as well as the rings?

I’m heading out now for an overnight backpack trip, but should be back online tomorrow PM. Thanks.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Do you sell the Fancee Feast stoves as well as the rings?

The stove and simmer are sold together

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/fancee-feest-stove-with-simmer-ring.php

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Pulled the trigger on the Fancee Feast stove and simmer ring. I assume I can also burn HEET and isopropyl alcohol?

Looking at cook pots for the 5.5 oz (dry weight) Knorr rice and pasta recipes, the one that catches my fancy the most is the Evernew Ti Ultralight Mug Pot 900 ml (actually closer to 950 ml really). Weighs 3.5 oz with lid and I like the height to weight ratio better than with the wider 900 ml pots I see. Might not be quite as efficient to heat, but it would be easier to hold and eat out of. I guess a 900 ml capacity is large enough for the Knorr recipes? I use 8 oz water per package. https://evernew-global.com/products/ulseries/eca267r.html

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

That or the MSR Titan Kettle.  I like both of these mougs as it is easy to get my big hands in there to clean them out,   The larger diameter makes them more efficient than a skinny 700 ml mug.  My 2 cents.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Pulled the trigger on the Fancee Feast stove and simmer ring. I assume I can also burn HEET and isopropyl alcohol?

Thank you. Yes, HEET in yellow bottle and isopropyl alcohol 90% works great.

I’ll look through the pots I have and see if I have a ti pot similar to the Evernew mentioned that you can have.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

That would be awesome! With the uncertainties in today’s world I’m trying to spend as little as possible . Thanks.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Found one you might like. Used only for testing purposes. It has a ridge on it for use with a cone windscreen. Weighs 3.5oz.  TOAKS TITANIUM 900ML D130MM POT

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Cool! If you need some extra $$$ for shipping or whatever just PM me your Paypal e-mail. Thank You.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just dropping in to say that is very generous of you, Dan!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Excellent!

I only had 24 ml HEET to do a test with and I didn’t have a proper windscreen on hand either. There was a 3 – 5 mph intermittent wind coming from the back side, so it wasn’t a big factor really. With 8.25 oz water (amount used for 1 Knorr rice packet) in the pot it took about 6 minutes to obtain a full boil.

Then I placed the simmer ring around the stove and it lasted for another 13 minutes 30 seconds before going out. When I cook the Knorr rice I simmer for 8 minutes (instructions call for 7 but I find 8 is better), so I’ll acquire some more HEET and I’m guessing 18 ml will do the trick, especially with a better wind screen. Thanks again Dan, I certainly didn’t need to spend $50 plus on a cook pot right now, but I was going to justify the purchase with the savings I’d get with not having to buy $9 Mountain House meals. And I’m far from a rich man.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you for posting your results. Glad to have been able to save you some money in these hard times.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools