Topic

Alcohol stove with 900 or 1300 pan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol stove with 900 or 1300 pan

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Messing around with alcohol stoves and various windscreen systems. An effect I’ve noticed when comparing similar stove and screen combos, using the Evernew 900 and the 1300, has been the smaller pot seems to require less water to boil 2 cups.
    Any ideas why this could be happening?
    The only thing that comes to mind is that, with the sides of the pans being enclosed by the screen, the smaller pan may be losing less heat through the lid? I suppose there is less metal to heat up in the smaller pan as well.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

(I assume you mean the smaller pot requires less fuel to boil 2 cups).

Anyway, that does seem weird. I guess it means that the stove itself is not wasting any heat by heating up the area outside the bottom of the pan. At that point, the extra size of the bigger pot just means it is exposed to more cold air. That includes the top, but also the sides.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Yes, the smaller pot comes to a boil with 20% less fuel. Sides are fully inside the windscreen. I did wonder if this meant that, as the water is farther up the sides in the small pot, there is more opportunity for heat transfer.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

It is impossible to really tell as fuel efficiency is a system level problem.  You would need to identify the stove the windscreen, the geometric spacing and so forth.  Pictures would help a lot.  My 2 cents.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Funnily enough it was the Bobcat stoves that arrived from you just a couple of days ago, but it also happened the same with a similar myog set up that I put together using a modified Starlyte.
    I’m not too worried about it, was just curious if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

But what was the entire setup?  Please post pictures.

Flat Hat
    BPL Member

@hatflat-2

Locale: Northern California

I use a Trail Designs Kojin, Ti Caldera windscreen, under an Evernew 600ml pot.  I’m completely satisfied with this system.  Provides a low center of gravity, stable, wind resistant, quiet and fuel efficient.  15ml (.5oz) fuel for a 2 cup boil in about 5 minutes.   Have used on 2 JMT’s, will be using again this summer.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I also have a Trail Designs CC, I just like messing with different stoves.

The set up was: EV900, Bobcat Jr st/steel screen, Bobcat Ti Lite stove and EV1300, Bobcat aluminum screen, Bobcat 2 stove. Both running on methanol. Water temp was around 10 deg. C. Air around 12.

here is a picture of my myog set up, this is the 1300, sitting on a 2 inch hardware cloth pot stand. The 900 set up is identical.

ironically I set this up for the photo and instead of the Starlyte I used the Bobcat that I’d just bought from Jon, got a nice rolling boil on 20mls of methanol, same air and water temps! Previously could only get to 94 deg C with 20 mls even in the TDCC.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

For the Flat Cat Stoves, the optimal ground to pot distance is 1.8”. So a 0.2” higher distance makes a difference.

Jon

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Does the optimal distance vary at all with fuel being used? The Bobcat wouldn’t boil 2 cups in the 1300 with 20ml at the standard distance. With 25ml it got to a boil and then carried on rocking for a couple of minutes.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

One height works for all fuels in our windscreens.  Other windscreens are unknown.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools