Topic

Advisor's FAK for Philmont?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Advisor's FAK for Philmont?

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I was the medic, not the patient. Fortunately.
    It was 3 -4 days to any civilisation at the time.

Cheers

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

Locale: Washington DC

here is the kit i copied, it fits perfectly in the HMG 4400 Small Pod, just added 3M red crosses front and back..

https://www.restockyourkit.com/Northern-Tier-BSA-Crew-First-Aid-Kit-p/210-0914.htm

Small Pod 4400 (For 70L Packs)

• Weight: 1.34 oz | 38g
    • Volume: 520 cu in. | 8.5L
    • Dimensions: 8.7″ x 14.1″ x 4.5″

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

here is the kit i copied, it fits perfectly in the HMG 4400 Small Pod, just added 3M red crosses front and back..

https://www.restockyourkit.com/Northern-Tier-BSA-Crew-First-Aid-Kit-p/210-0914.htm

Whoa!  $200 and over 2 pounds for the FAK.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

A profit-making company – and quite a large profit by the sounds of things. Nothing quite like a massive overkill.

Cheers

SFOldManClan
    Spectator

@sfoldmanclan

Locale: Washington DC

$150 for just the contents, stuff it in any bag you want.  Or use this list and make your own (which is what I did)… I still cost me more than just buying this kit.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

The good thing about an expensive FAK is you shouldn’t use it up unless you really need it and then you’re thankful you spent the money.

We don’t stock our crew FAKs with items for personal use like mole skin, band aids, aspirin, lip balm, sun screen, insect repellant, etc.to avoid people going through it on a regular basis. It has those types of items but are only for serious cases. About the only time the crew FAK is opened is when there is a serious insolent and two (WFA) adults are in attendance.

Everybody is responsible for bringing their own very small personal FAK with those types of items for their daily personal use. And we verify such things during every pack shake down before all our local training trips.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I think we can pull items from our regular, car camping FAK and use that restockyourkit site just to update any OTC meds that are out of date.

I do also like the idea of each crew member carrying Leukotape, etc. for blisters and minor cuts.  I bought some stuff for me and my son from Litesmith (lip balm, Leukotape, Trail Toes).  Scouts should get experience treating their own minor wounds with an adult ensuring that they are indeed minor.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools