Topic

Advice on lessons for ski backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Advice on lessons for ski backpacking

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I like 3-pin leather boots, but only if they are low-cut and light. We have some, but they are now 2 sizes too small for us. The skis are fishscale, very plain and lack any waist. but they do go fast. Heavy stuff like T3s are impossible.

Currently we are using NNN-BC boots and bindings. All we could find when we had to replace the 3-pins. The skis do have a side curve, metal edges and fishscales.

Cheers

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Philip, do you think it is possible to use the cross country setup you recommended but with a light AT binding (does light make it snomo?) so I can lock in my heel on good downhills?  And how would your recommended setup work with a heavy winter camping 65L+ backpack?  I liked how you emphasized a more economical solution as AT setups seem like a pricy investment and yours sounded less pricy.  What binding/boot models might be good starting points to achieve this effect?

Light or crossover XC ski gear is very unlikely to have any sort of binding mount reinforcing plate at the heel where the mounting screws would go in, so you would probably just tear the heel piece of the binding out when you locked down and put a lot of force on the ski. I would only put AT bindings on an AT ski. But the Voile Objective BC skis are quite light and a SkiMo tech binding can be extremely light and minimal. But, again, that’s expensive. And putting a tech binding on a XC ski (which we already discussed is a bad idea) and getting AT boots puts you back close to the cost of a dedicated AT setup, so there aren’t real savings there anymore.

I’d rather be a little under-gunned traveling on light gear on rolling terrain than dragging a heavier and slower AT setup along where that is overkill. But light ski touring really isn’t my area of expertise. As was mentioned earlier, refer to Luc’s page on ski-touring equipment. His page on fast and light winter travel is also worth a look.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

As I’ve said here in other years the very best book on the subject of backcountry skiing and camping is: “MIKE & ALLEN’S REALLY COOL BACKCOUNRTY SKI BOOK”. It’s a paperback and now in the 2nd edition (at least). The cartoon-like illustrations contain about half the information and are amusing.

If you want to backcountry ski camp you NEED this little book.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools