Topic

Advice on a new pack, please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice on a new pack, please

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

See next post.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

I want to get a new pack, but living in the land of flatness as I do, my circle of friends with backpacks that I can compare is very small, so I would appreciate your input.  My only points of reference are the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (2012), which is my first and only pack, and the Mariposa (2013), which I have borrowed on a couple of occasions. Well, one friend has an Osprey Exos, but I’m not interested in that kind of pack.

First, here is what I like about the Gorilla:

-The capacity is about right.  Sometimes it is a little small on colder trips when I need extra insulation and food.  If it had the tall side pocket like the Mariposa so I could store the tent there and free up some extra room inside it would be more flexible (would be nice when the tent is wet too).  Now as I write this I realize that I could probably manage this in a short side pocket by holding it in place via the compression cord loops.  If I needed to carry a bear canister though, I’d need more space or to be able to carry the bear can outside.  The Mariposa is gigantic – I don’t know if I even own enough gear to fill it.

-The dimensions are good – it fits in carry-on bins.

-The weight is ok, but lighter would of course be better.

-The durability has been good, though it really hasn’t gotten much use, and I’m pretty careful with gear.

Now, what is driving me to look for something else:

-The shoulder straps rub my neck *and* my armpits, and sometimes I want a bit softer padding.

-The hip belt really irritates my hip bone.  The box stitching for the buckle strap compresses the padding right where the peak of my hip bone sticks out.

-The belt lets the pack slip down.  Even if it didn’t hurt my hip bone, it doesn’t conform very well, and I find myself having to make it tighter and tighter to be effective, to the point where it is uncomfortably compressing my belly.  I think a belt with top and bottom straps would work better.

-The pack (L) is too tall for me, and that contributes to the slipping too.  My friend’s Mariposa (M) that I’ve borrowed is a shorter torso and is the right size for me, but still seems to slip and sag some in the back.  I don’t have a lot of curvature to my backside, but there isn’t much I can do about that.

-Sweaty back syndrome – no explanation needed.  I often substitute a folded thinlight pad for the standard convoluted foam pad, and that makes things worse.

Things I’m ambivalent about:

-The fold-over top with pocket.  The closure method is fine, but the pocket always gets compressed and then it is hard to get things in and out of it.  I do like having a place to put items that I may need once or twice during the day, but maybe the lid pocket isn’t the best way to achieve that.

I’m looking at the Arc Blast, and it seems that it might address most of my concerns.

-Claimed interior volumes seem subject to interpretation, but it looks like the Blast has a little more volume than the Gorilla (?), so could cover those times when I have extra insulation or food.

-Sadly the Blast is heavier than it used to be, but maybe the changes are worth the weight if it fits and carries well and at least it won’t cost me any weight over the older Gorilla, even with optional pockets added on.

-The new belt style doesn’t look like it would work as well as mainstream packs that have the full-length upper and lower straps, but maybe it is good enough to get better wrap around my hip bone.

-Sweaty back should be greatly reduced.

-I know a bear can will “fit” in the Blast, but I don’t what it is really like to carry a bear can like that (where does all the other gear go?)  I see one photo with the bear can strapped to the top with the optional v-strap, is that something people actually do?

-The roll-top closure would be ok, but I’m not thrilled about the possibility of Velcro snagging items.

-It is fairly pricey, especially with pockets added, but I’m willing to spend if it really is a great pack with a good chance of working for me.

Thoughts?

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Based on your list of wants (especially the back ventilation), the Arc Blast seems worth trying. If you can find a BPL’er locally that has one, maybe you could arrange to meet up with them and try on their pack and see if your gear fits it as you’d like. Otherwise, you could order one and send it back if it does not work with you (after confirming the return policy first). If you’re concerned about the weight of the Arc Blast but want a framed pack, you might also look at the KS 50 pack with a frame set and a few other options at less than 20 ounces.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Stephen, I know you have probably already seen my piece on the search for such a pack.  The Kalais does not have the long side pocket but does have side compression straps that I use to hold long items with.  I find it has good back ventilation similar to the Katabatic packs, especially since I replaced the small back pad with a piece of ridgerest foam that acts like the ridged foam in the Katabatic packs.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

The old Blast was about 16.5 oz basic. With Cuben hip belt pocket and shoulder pocket, my Medium/medium weighs 17.9 oz. (I weighed mine recently for someone.) BTW the Arc Haul m/m in the same configuration (+ lumbar pad) weighs 27.5 oz.

The new Blast is about 21 oz, but I would say that almost without question the optional lumbar pad is mandatory, which adds another ounce. Adding a hip belt pocket and shoulder pocket would bring it up to about 23.5-24 oz, so it’s still not a pig of a pack.

IME the new suspension can indeed handle more weight comfortably. I have not had any problems at all with the Velcro on the roll top. I’ve carried a BV450 in mine a couple of times and it fit inside, vertically, no problem. I don’t know about larger bear cans and strapping them outside.

As far as back ventilation, my back still gets pretty damp because the trampoline is still going to compress and hold some moisture. However, the space permits the evaporative process to work and it is definitely cooler than having no ventilation.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Zpacks and Katabatic should be at the top of your list. You can order both, try them around the house with weight and return the one that doesn’t work. Make sure you get the right size too, a great pack is worthless if it doesn’t fit.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I used to have the Gorilla but gave it up for the Arc Blast. My AB is the lighter version from just before the current one, so it does not have the adjustable torso length, dual straps on the hip belt, additional horizontal stay, etc. Mine is very comfortable, and the updates would make it even more so.

Volume is no issue for me, even with a Bearikade Weekender. I guess it depends what you’re packing, but I can get all in-camp soft stuff (quilt, sleep layers, etc) in the bottom with room to spare and then the bear can goes on top. I can get the Bearikade past the middle horizontal frame bar, but then I can’t arc the frame as much as I’d like. Still it can be flexed enough to keep the pack off my back and allow the airflow across my back that makes all the difference for me. And you can put the bear can in only to the middle horizontal cross bar and have more room underneath it.

My experience with the velcro closure is the same as Bob’s — snagging has not been an issue. You should be a little careful moving soft layers in and out at the top, but the velcro on the AB is a slimmed-down version so it isn’t as likely to snag as “everyday” velcro.

No worries on the little ditty stuff using an AB, get some hip belt pockets or shoulder strap pockets or chest pack, whatever would fit your style, and put that stuff in there. I use two hip belt pockets and stuff them, and I’ve really appreciated having all those things at my fingertips without having to take my pack off, so I’m never going back to top and lid pockets on a pack again. The Zpacks pockets are big — my two carry a point-and-shoot camera, PLB, mini flashlight, headnet, first aid, ID/money/permit/etc, pencil and paper, and some snacks, and it’s great to have all of that accessible without removing my pack.

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Thanks for all the input on this. I have to go to Saudi for a couple of weeks, but I’ll pick back up on this when I get some time.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools