Topic

(Advice) MLD backpack with a Zpacks Nero style back pad???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion (Advice) MLD backpack with a Zpacks Nero style back pad???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Hello All, I have a MLD Exodus pack with the old suspension upgrade. For those not familiar with the MLD suspension upgrade, it had a sleeve on the inside of the pack to put their air pad. It was used for back padding and structure. The air pad has long been dead and i have been using a GG 1/8 pad in it in its place. The foam has been working great, but if I have to carry it I want to use it. If I want to use the foam pad as a sit pad during the day I have to unpack the pack to get to it, so it never happens. I saw the Zpacks Nero packs put the foam on the outside of the pack against your back with shock cord to hold it on. Does this seem like a option with the MLD pack? I have not yet hiked with it this way, but did a rough set up to see if it would work. It seems like it would be comfortable. What do you all think yes or no? I’ll probably load up the pack this weekend and do a day hike with it and see how it goes. Here are some pic of what I’m trying to do. If it works and you all think its a good idea I will stitch on some real tabs it like the Nero.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

YMMV, but a folded GG 1/8 cc pad does not stay put when held to the back panel using elastic chord. The pad shifts upward very quickly, requiring me to readjust it every few minutes by pulling downward between my pack and my back. I never have this problem when using a stiffer pad – a cut down TAR Z-lite pad (sit pad). Load up your pack and try out the 1/8 cc pad on a short walk around your neighborhood to see for if it works for you or not.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Darn not what I wanted to hear Lester , but thanks. I figured someone would have some experience with this set up. I guess ill just have to play around and see what happens.

JStanky
    BPL Member

@jstanky

Locale: SF Bay Area

I haven’t tried this type of setup but the reviews I’ve read of the Nero pad attachment haven’t been glowing, not that the pack doesn’t get good review itself.  I’m thinking that if the 1/8 inch pad works well enough inside the pack in the sleeve then just leave it in there.  You can get a 1oz sitpad from zpacks, litesmith, or any other number of locations.  By the time you add enough cording to make that pad stable on the outside of the pack you’ll be carrying an extra ounce anyway.  Plus you’ll still have to deal with taking it on and off the pack to use it as a sit pad, which I would guess is going to get pretty old pretty quick.  If you absolutely need a sit pad I’d just get a dedicated one and leave the 1/8 inch roll inside your pack.  Good luck!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

If you absolutely need a sit pad I’d just get a dedicated one and leave the 1/8 inch roll inside your pack.

This approach works well for me. The 2 ounce Z-lite sit pad plays double duty as a sit pad and also as a sleeping pad under my legs – paired with a small size X-lite inflatable under the torso. The 1/8″ ccf pad is carried inside the pack against my back where it helps with padding against bear cans and bulgy gear. At night the 1/8″ ccf pad goes underneath both the X-lite and the sit pad to provide added padding and for protection of the inflatable.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, there are problems with a pad attachment like that. Basically, it is like holding a straw uprigth while holding pressure on it. As you increase pressure, it will buckle. It takes very little pressure to hold the straw in place. Adding a single mid point support works up to a point. But with thin 1/4″-3/8″ pads they are really too thin and buckle between the mid points. 1/8″ is definitely not an option for anything over 5-7pounds and displaces easily with nothing on top to hold it. The top will tend to roll up around the single mount point and it allows the lower section to creep up your back and/or buckle within a very few minutes.

A better option would be to sew a couple pad keeper pockets, top & bottom, around 1/3 the length of your pad (around 6-2/3″ for a 20″ pad.) The mesh pockets will tend to hold the edges in and stabilize the pad. But, using an 1/8″ pad is still not really recommended. I have used 1/4″ pads for loads up to ~27pounds on longer packing trips of about two weeks, though. They work really well as a sit pad, a frame and a sleeping pad. The http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/accessories/lunapad.htm is about the best for this because the interlocking dimples can be used for extra support. The weight goes up, though. By taping 5 layers together you get around 50+ inches and it weighs around 8oz. But it will support up to 35pounds in pad keeper pockets, even though it is only a 1/4″ in the valleys.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

A better option would be to sew a couple pad keeper pockets, top & bottom, around 1/3 the length of your pad (around 6-2/3″ for a 20″ pad.) The mesh pockets will tend to hold the edges in and stabilize the pad

+1. Despite being very thin and flexible, the 1/8″ GG ccf pad folded in sixths holds in place well on the back panel of the GG Gorilla backpack with weights up to 25 pounds on extended trips – at least for me. The Gorilla uses pad keeper pockets top and bottom rather than elastic cord.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Lester, Yes, exactly. Pockets work, cords have a hard time distributing loads evenly across the CCF.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

If you go with a second pad as a sit pad, you might consider Dutch’s folding sit pad. I’ve used one for 5+ years. It’s well under an ounce and the fold is really quick and easy. It usually sits folded over (and securely tucked under) shock cord on the exterior of my pack with no flopping.

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

I guess like i said ill try it out and if it doesn’t work out Ill just go back to stuffing it in the sleeve. I do use the GG pad with my Xlite in colder seasons and as sit pad in camp. I don’t think it will add an additional sit pad to my pack though. I typically would never use a sit pad, but in cold weather on rest stops butt does gets cold hence the reason I’m trying this setup.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools