Topic

Absolute Lightest Instant Trail Coffee (kit & fuel) XUL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Absolute Lightest Instant Trail Coffee (kit & fuel) XUL

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

One last time…

7.5 fl oz soda can, Ti stand, aluminum windscreen, aluminum Esbit tray, silicon lip guard, aluminum foil “lid”.

0.69 oz

See also: “(Almost) Absolute Lightest Alcohol Kit to Boil 6 oz Water Twice?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

The Dr Pepper can kit is .07 oz lighter than the Sam’s can setup, but does the narrower Dr Pepper can heat as efficiently as the wider Sam’s can? I’m betting not. I’m requesting a 3.5 gram Esbit test (with temperature reading) using the Dr Pepper can. I know you used 8 oz water with your earlier Sam’s can test, but since Dr Pepper is only a 7.5 oz can you can’t do that of course. Maybe a 6 oz water test on both cans just to compare. I suppose you could do a 7.5 oz water test with each of them instead.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Side by side test coming up

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Head to Head:
    Air & water temp 10.6 C
    6 fl oz water, 3.5 gm Esbit

Sam’s: Boil in 4:35 min

Dr. Pepper: Boil in 4:54 min

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

So only slightly better performance with the Sam’s can, however, it would be more stable as it’s wider and shorter with a lower center of gravity. I didn’t use aluminum lids in my tests, but obviously that helps heat more efficiently, Thanks David.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Monte, here are the photos from this mornings playtime :)

Fish eyes with 3.5 esbit after 5:30

8oz water to level seen.

Fishe Eyes equates to pasturization of water and great temp for coffee and hot chocolate.

The large ridge on top of pot allows me to pick up the hot water pot without aide of glove 

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

How about 6 oz of 10.6*C water and 3.5 grams Esbit so as to do a direct comparison with David’s Sam’s cup kit? He got a boil in 4:35 with that volume and water temp. Just curious if you’d get a boil any quicker than that. Then with your total kit weight being ,07 oz lighter than David’s Sam’s can setup, you’d take the lead as “absolute lightest.”

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I’ll mail you a couple of Esbit cubes if you need them for testing Dan.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I’ll do 2 more tests on Monday. I have enough esbit. It will be easy to boil 6oz water. Because of the large ridge on the pot, I should be able to sip without a lip guard. Every time I mess with stove stuff I learn something new 

The cup I’ve created far exceeds the durability of the soda cans used in the test so far, that’s worth an extra point 

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools