Topic

Absolute Lightest Instant Trail Coffee (kit & fuel) XUL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Absolute Lightest Instant Trail Coffee (kit & fuel) XUL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

At least the lightest 6 oz boils on 3 to 4 day trips, then any longer an efficient cone system will justify it’s heavier weight with Hexamine savings. Whole kit weighs 1.0 oz total (cup 0.3 oz, wind screen 0.3 oz, stand 0.2 oz, Reflectix cup holder 0.1 oz). Cup is an 8 fl oz aluminum can with the top cut out. Only requires 3 1/2 grams of Esbit or 1/4 cube to boil 6 oz water (volume Cafe Bustelo recommends for 1 packet of coffee) as long as the winds aren’t too horribly bad. Brings water to a near boil with big shrimp eyes giving way to a few bubbles coming to the surface. Certainly hot enough for instant coffee.

The inner bottom ring of the can leaves a lip on the outer circumference and that makes everything surprisingly more stable as it sets on the rim of the stand with the inner ring setting lower inside.

The wind screen has to be just the right size though. Cut from a disposable aluminum baking sheet, measures 4 1/2″ high by 12″ long. With 1 1/2″ lapping over when paper clipped together, it’s a 10 1/2″ circumference. I  also drilled a dozen 5/32″ holes 1 inch high and spaced at 1″ intervals around the screen for the fire to breathe more efficiently.

Only 3 1/2 grams (1/4 of 0.5 oz Esbit cube) is all it takes for 6 oz. Full Esbit cube shown at bottom of pic and you can see how the seams allow for easier cutting into quarters. I like to add a little powdered vanilla creamer to the coffee and I pack it in virtually weightless mini sized Ziplocs.

Stand is made from a 1 1/2″ X  8″ piece of checkered fencing with the 2 center horizontal strands cut out and every other vertical ones removed.

Stand measures approx 2 1/2 ” diameter.

If anyone knows of a lighter way to do three 6 oz boils a day (short term) let me know and I’ll adopt that instead.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I find that in order to enjoy my coffee at a decent temperature when drinking it from a thin-wall cups like this that the cup ends up being too hot to hold onto.  I use a thin-wall 450mL titanium mug that I’ve put a small silicone band around.  I can hold onto the band so the cup isn’t too hot to touch and enjoy the coffee while it’s still warm.  This of course adds weight to the cup but is a worthwhile tradeoff since if I wanted to drink coffee cold I wouldn’t bother using the stove at all!

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I use the Reflectix you see in top pic of OP to hold onto the hot cup. Only 0.1 oz. Works great.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Amazing!

One note for MYOG’ers: whatever wire mesh is used must NOT be galvanized, as zinc fumes can be fatal.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Looks brilliant Monte!

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice setup. Almost makes we want to take up coffee drinking.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks, I know not many BPLer’s are into the fringe SUL/XUL stuff and I get it, but after my last knee surgery I try to shed grams all the more. If you go no cook on 3 to 4 day trips, yet still won’t be deprived of hot coffee, I challenge you to go lighter boiling 6 to 8 oz of water about 10 times over said period.

Setup is also extremely cheap and simple to make by the way.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Monte, how do you like my lightest alcohol stove?

The “TwiLyte”

Stove and potstand weight is 12.9 grams

Fuel capacity: 17 ml
    Boils 2 cups water on average of 10 min. and sustains boil for 1 min. and then flame out.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

@zelph2: Dan, is your Twilyte for sale? Would love to get one. Didn’t see it on your website.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

No David, it’s not or sale. That design was made many years ago as a fun project. Welding the stainless steel framework was tricky, didn’t want to take on such a task.

I’ve designed a boat load of stoves over the years, time to bring it to an end. I’ll retire from stove making by end of the year. Maybe my son will take over.

I’m surprised Monte has no comment…..bummer :-)

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Darn. But your fun project is inspiring!

That’s big new Dan! I’m sure the entire BPL community and many others wish you a long and happy retirement. You have invented many cool stoves and inspired many imitators, and I always keep an eye out for your new designs.

We better stock up on Starlytes while we can.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Okay I admit you got me Dan. I’m a stove novice and I figured someone out there would probably have something lighter, at least some components anyway. However, what about a windscreen, is that included in the 12.9 grams? And can you drink straight from the cook cup and grab it without burning your hand? And lastly how about easy availability of materials? I can put everything together for a few bucks at Walmart and Home Depot(except for the Reflectix). My setup is kind of like a Fancy Feast stove as far as it’s cheapness and simplicity. I can do ten 6 oz (near) boils for 2.25 oz total for kit and fuel so I don’t know how that would compare to your alcohol system and fuel weights for the same objective.

But you are The Daddy of stoves Dan and I mean that seriously and respectfully. Thanks for the replies.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I can go to a Dollar General store and get a few 8oz cans of Shasta, use some of my .003 stainless steel for a windscreen and that will get me started on your challenge :-) Many years have past since I made the Twilyte stove, let me see if I can make a lighter pot support and shave more grams off your kit. If the kit comes out lighter in weight I’ll send it to you no charge. :-)

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

That sounds fantastic Dan. I’d be more than happy to Paypal you funds for shipping, materials, etc. If I could ween myself off the more expensive and harder to find Esbit for about same or less trail weight, that would be great. Here is a simple alcohol stove I made out of an aluminum hair mousse can some years back and it works okay really, but of course not near as efficient as the ones you make. It measures 1 1/2″ diameter and 1 3/8″ high. There are actually 4 slits in the cone insert on left, but you can’t tell by the pic. Gets a nice bloom, but not real efficient. Weighs 12 grams.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Dan – I wish you well in your retirement and will miss your innovations in stoves.  I don’t usually look at stove/cooking threads any more because I’m so happy with the Sterno Inferno setup I bought from you.  It lives in my pack (still in the orange mesh bag) and is my go-to for any trip where I’m prepping water for one person.

Thanks again!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Monte,

Dan’s off the shelf starlyte weighs about the same as your pot support and wind screen. I wonder how the fuel weight would compare between your 1/4 hexamine tab and the alcohol Dan would need to heat up your cup of Joe without a windscreen. Hexamine has a higher energy density so I am guessing you would still win, but Dan’s system doesn’t scorch the ground.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Been busy, might devote some time to this project today.

Thank you Kevin

Thank you Ben H. Did you see todays weather forecast? The Polar Vortex is sure to get to your location this winter. The BOSS canisters will come in handy ;)

Cold temps are starting their way southward:

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Thanks Dan! I grew up in the UP of Michigan and moved here in July. At this point I’ll take whatever cold Canada can send down. I want to reiterate Kevin’s sentiments about congratulations on your impending retire and your innovations will be missed. The news sent me to your website to scour it for things I might want sometime in the future.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

This windscreen is 12×4.5 made of .002 stainless steel instead of the .003 It has a nice beaded edge to prevent cutting fingers. Holes were hard to punch, they are crude but functional. Weighs 14 grams.

first photo before punching holes

https://backpackinglight.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/3680529/vamlym21t5rwkwjyvmd9o2qp2bxbwnu8.jpg

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Monte, I’ve been to 3 stores and have not found the 8oz Shasta cans. I was going to use a side cutting can opener to remove the top off the cans to reduce the cans weight by ??? Your can has a very ragged edge showing in your photos. Be careful of that.

Enjoy your ABSOLUTE LIGHTEST INSTANT TRAIL COFFEE (KIT & FUEL) XUL.

I no longer want to take part in your challenge

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks anyway Dan. No big deal. I bought the 8 oz cans at Walmart. It’s actually Sam’s Club cola, so I assume it’s available at their stores as well. The disposable aluminum baking pan windscreens are super light, but they won’t hold up to the higher heats of alcohol combustion. Yes, you’re right, those jagged cuts on the top of the can are unacceptable, I’ll try a cleaner, different method to remove the next ones.

Thanks again for your input. The higher BTU’s per weight of hexamine aren’t a fair comparison to alcohol anyway. I don’t know how much I’ll “enjoy” any instant coffee, but it beats no coffee at all in my book. I do however “enjoy” packing less weight though.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Gave it a shot:

10 oz capacity modified can, holds 8 oz to the shoulder with about 1/2″ free board, 0.48 oz. w/ “lid”

.003″ SS stand .15 oz

.003″ SS burner plate .02 oz

Disposable aluminum baking sheet windscreen 0.29 oz

Reflectix pot holder 0.06 oz

1.00 oz total

I guess if I can find one of those 8 ounce soda cans I can get the total down to 0.8 oz, since the stand, windscreen and Reflectix will all be a bit smaller too. I used to see them all the time, but I tried three grocery stores here and no luck. There is a Walmart about 15 miles from here and if I happen to be passing nearby I’ll check it out. I’m not quite such a total gram weenie that I’ll make the trip just to see if they’ve got them.

Haven’t tried it with Esbits yet. Hoping the wide, flat base will make it efficient.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Great. Of course you might need to increase the circumference of the windscreen over what I used on my cup to get the optimum space between cup and screen for achieving perfect balance between holding heat and allowing in enough oxygen, since the Fosters can has a larger diameter. My scale isn’t quite as precise as yours, but it weighs down to grams pretty well. As far as the wider cup being more efficient for heating, I don’t know, maybe. When I used a wide 4 7/8″ diameter by 2 1/4″ high  Evernew EBY 265 ti cup I got better performance with my little alcohol stove than smaller diameter and taller same volume (400 ml) ti cups. But with 1/4 esbit cube that may not be the case with such a small flame, and I am convinced that the concavity on the bottom of the 8 oz Sam’s cup (inside the ring) makes for the ultimate efficiency. I’m not a NASA scientist and I can’t prove it, but I think it holds the flame and keeps the heat concentrated in the pocket with less heat escaping.

I’ll mail you one of the 8 oz aluminum cans if you can’t find one Dave, no problem, Same with you Dan. Just PM me your address.

Here is another can with the top cut out with a manual can opener and as you can see it’s very clean. I’m ashamed of the butcher job I did on removing the top of the can in the pic I posted above. I know better.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Monte, PM sent. Thanks!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools