Topic

A Safer HX Pot hack for canister topped stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear A Safer HX Pot hack for canister topped stoves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I have seen several hacks to an HX pot to adapt it to a regular canister topped stove. Most of these have been to slot the base of the HX pot to allow the pot support arms to either contact the fins or to rest between the fins. This solution seemed a bit risky to me due to the pot support arms potentially getting entangled inside the pot/fins.

While surfing the web, I came across this pot that I had not seen before: the Fire Maple Steamer. The fins are exposed with no surrounding structure.

Rather than buy one, I hacked the shroud off; it wasn’t hard to do (I used a WideSea HX pot, and it cost about $20). FYI, removing the shroud knocked off 0.9 oz as well. The setup works great with pot support arms that are radial to the center of the pot (Soto Amicus & Pocket Rocket Original). The Pocket Rocket Deluxe & 2 are not radial and don’t fit. Neither does the BRS or Fire Maple 300. The pot support arms can be tweaked to match the radial fins (not the Pocket Rocket Deluxe or Soto WindMaster 4 Flex as the arms are too thick). This looks like a much safer way to mount an HX pot to a canister topped stove. My 2 cents.

YouTube video

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Locale: Acadia National Park

Hi Jon, I’m curious what is the weight of the pot after modification? And how do you feel it would  work paired with one of your Amicus designed windscreens?
    -thanks

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

The modified pot by itself weighs 4.7 oz after the shroud is removed.  The handles weigh another oz.  The Modified WideSea pot will work withthe Ocelot Soto Amicus (see below).  There is enough room to let the exhaust gasses out.

Nicholas P
    BPL Member

@io

Locale: Acadia National Park

Hey thanks Jon, that seems like a pretty solid set up , have you, or do you plan to do  any testing with it?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

I have tested the HX pot (no windscreen) with a modified Fire Maple 300t: boiled 2 cup using about 5 grams in about 3 minutes.  A slower burn rate will improve efficiency.  I have done fit check with the Soto Amicus and a few other stove.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools