Topic

A better zipper lubricant

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A better zipper lubricant

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I just wanted to share this with the community – I have found that Teflon Dry Lube by PB Blaster works better as a zipper lubricant than any of the usual suspects. I’ve tried graphite, wax, zipper-specific compounds and a few other options, and this one works the best and does not attract dirt at all. I haven’t found it referenced in regards to zippers anywhere:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-9-3-oz-Advanced-Dry-Lube-with-Teflon-16-TDL/202532762

That said, I have only tried it on heavy duty #10 zippers on bike frame bags. They tend to stiffen up (with dirt being the primary culprit) and then they can become very difficult to close, with damage likely if you force them. I don’t know how well this would work on smaller zippers like on a tent. And if I were to use it on clothing I would definitely cover the fabric with something because it’s not easy to hit just the zipper with the spray.

(I have no affiliation with PB Blaster, just sharing a good product).

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Teflon bike lube works well, too.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Thank you.

Bee’s wax works well also. I no longer have an affiliation with bees

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I have actually tried both of those and found that they helped the zipper action, but also attracted dirt. The one I linked is the only one I’ve found that’s done the first thing well, without doing the latter.

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I’ve had good luck with bees wax. I got some bike lube, might give it a try.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

WD 40.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If you use wax, WD40, oil, etc., you are likely to gunk up your zippers even worse, and then the attracted grit can prematurely wear and ruin your zippers.

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

WD40 is a degreaser, it will not attract dirt, just the opposite. It is also water repelent.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Its actually a penetrating oil (Originally kerosene and propane)

https://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/sds/mup/wd-40-multi-use-product-aerosol-sds-us-ghs-7-20-14.pdf

it works on zippers sure, but so do other things, better.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Apart from the secret smell, one thing that I remember about WD40 is that it was the 40th formula they came up with . Hence the name.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

In 40+ years of owning and using tents, I’ve never had a zipper lubrication problem (that’s what she said).  Out of curiosity, what conditions create the need to lubricate a zipper?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

^^^

In the First post –

“That said, I have only tried it on heavy duty #10 zippers on bike frame bags. They tend to stiffen up (with dirt being the primary culprit) and then they can become very difficult to close, with damage likely if you force them.”

Unless you ride your tent into the dirt, you probably won’t need a lube.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

My myopic view of the world, and of BPL, once again outs me as a dunce.

Thanks Greg.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

There are a lot of lubricants that will work on zippers. It seems a lot of folks are trying to out-do Nick’s suggestion when all he was doing is offering up something for consideration. While in my circumstances I probably would not need it, thanks Nick for bringing yet another option to our attention.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I have heard many stories of tent zipper failure due to dirt/sand, usually the smaller zippers. Most tent sellers give instructions for zipper maintenance.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Like teeth a regular tooth brushing prevents some issues and increases service life.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Zipper Failure

The wad in middle is nearly solid, probably because I used McNett ZipTech.

John Yates
    BPL Member

@yates

Age and UV radiation seem to make zippers fail.  Lubrication helps.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

John, much appreciation for bumping this up and reminding me of Nick’s recommendation.  Based on his original input, I purchased PB Blaster Advanced Dry Lube with Teflon in 2017 and now it’s all I use and have recommended it to others.  What I especially like is that, unlike silicone spray, it specifically says it’s okay for use with plastics, which is about everything these days.  Thanks for the info!

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I’m a fan of McLube SailKote

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Parrots also make zippers fail.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

I only recently realized that PB Blaster dry lube has been reformulated to remove the Teflon (and PTFE).  It now leaves behind polyethylene and amide wax.  Any inputs as to effectiveness in comparison to the original ingredients?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I know this was 2019, but how do parrots make zippers fail?

must be a good story there

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I would be wary of zipper lubes or waxes that could attract and hold dust or grit…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools