Topic

Moonbow 40/20 tarp tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Moonbow 40/20 tarp tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Zeno Martin

@ananda

Anyone have experience with the Moonbow 40/20? It looks to have great features for it’s weight. Does such a design handle winds ok? Does the tarp collect condensation? (I assume the Shires Tarp Tents would perform similar, perhaps better due to their smaller size?) Any comments from users of this type of shelter would be appreciated. Thanks

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Zeno-

I have no experience with the Moonbow 40/20 tent but I can offer a couple of insights when comparing it to a Tarptent Virga 2 or a Six Moon Designs Europa 05. First, a catenary or arched roofline makes a huge difference in wind stability because it is so much easier to achieve a taut ridgeline. The Tarptent and Six Moon Designs tents both have catenary ridgelines which is a notable difference. Check out this article to learn more: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00149.html

Also note the bathtub floors of these other designs, the hooped rear ends (which increases usable space), and the increased vestibule area. These are some pretty great designs- look forward to upcoming reviews of both of these new designs.

Not to discount the Moonbow though- that’s a great company and their design is both simple and lightweight.

Enjoy your research!
    Doug Johnson
    Shelter Systems Editor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools