Topic

Pack Color Preferences

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack Color Preferences

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

We are redoing some of our pack fabrics and colors that will be available for 2015. We want to offer fewer fabrics, but suite a wider range of uses and desires.

Our primary question is around a lighter weight fabric, that will be our primary lightweight fabric.

The colors we are looking to offer
    – A light gray
    – A bright orange
    – A yellow

Obviously, one blends well and the other two are brighter. We have had requests, for brighter more stand out fabrics for a while. Here we are asking you to let us know. Neutral or brighter colors, for a lighter weight pack ? What do you prefer ?

The other colors we are going to do are
    VX21 Coyote – We are already offering and it is neutral
    VX42 Gray

Thanks
    Kevin

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

Bright, maybe orange.

dreamer
    BPL Member

@ejcfree

You could not give me an orange pack.
    I think there are only three good colors for backpacking gear.
    1) grey
    2) brown/tan
    3) forest green

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

a dark color like black is good for absorbing sunlight to dry out

not as much of an issue as a sleeping bag or jacket

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Yellow and Orange are pretty similar. For a third color, maybe a blue or green would offer more variety.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

I'm in agreement with Max. As a former commercial artist I would recommend adding a green and or blue. Ideally an offering of one or two light colors, a middle value , and a dark would cover most people's tastes.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I always wanted dark or muted colors.

That is, until I prepared to order my Zpacks Arc Blast and really took time to notice the orange. I quickly started to like it, then couldn't wait for it to arrive. Now that I have it I LOVE the color. I want more stuff in orange!

Will buy more orange in the future.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I prefer subdued colors. (Plus I also sometimes must "stealth camp".)

That's why I like the olive and avocado colors of my former REI Cruise UL 60 pack and am not so crazy about the lime green on my new Osprey EXOS 58 pack. Maybe I'll tone it down a bit with some brown permanent marker over the lime green.

marjolein Keuning
    BPL Member

@laincha

Locale: netherlands

if you want stealth: subdued colors
    if you want to look good in pictures: bright colors
    i agree that yellow and orange are in the same family.
    blues are usually liked by men :-) i prefer the red family….

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. We are currently leaning neutral.

Thanks

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As you've already seen, you're going to get answers all over the map.

Count me in the neutral/earth tone camp. I like muted greens or browns, would consider black, but never white or bright/neon-ey colors…probably not even blue. If it is hunting season, or there is some other reason I want to be seen at distance, I will attach something bright to the outside, i.e. I see no reason to have a pack that stands out in the woods at all times.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Thanks , we are going with a lighter gray in the lighter weight fabrics.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

Yeah, I would prefer earth tones. Maybe bright for a kids pack (for safety reasons). It's kinda annoying to see others in the distance when you're out for some solitude.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I never buy bright colors for use in the backcountry as it makes it feel like a reggae festival. I like my gear and clothing to have colors that blend into the environment (tans, greens, etc). I've had several Yosemite rangers walk right past me while resting next to the trail as a result, who then stopped another hiker coming up the trail to check their permit and bear can.

So if those are the only colors, grey gets my vote.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Another vote for neutral colors. I already get plenty of bright colors here in the city. I really don't need a pack that screams "look at me" when I hit the trails. Thank you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Choice is good. I do realize though,that due to inventory costs, there are limits to everything. I would try to find a balance without limiting sales. You might take a peek at the Zpacks site and look at what they have settled on. Its a good mix.

Six basic colors-Grey,Black,Olive or Forest Green,Coyote Brown/Desert Tan,Orange and a bright Blue would cover the waterfront nicely.

Camo patterns are a minefield as there are so many choices and preferences of patterns.

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

Hey Kevin are you referring to cuben when you say "lighter weight fabrics"? I no longer can find the option for it on your website.

Already got my Ranger Green Cuben pack from you guys, it is awesome.

But I wish it was orange. :)

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Hi Eli

We are no longer offering Cuben. While we really like the Cuben fabric, X21 RC is much less expensive and results in about a 2 ounce weight penalty over Cuben. X21 is the same face fabric as VX21, without the interior scrim layer. A 210 D face fabric is just more abrasion resistant over a wide range of uses, even though it does have a small weight penalty.

I can say that after using both Cuben and an X21 face fabric for well over a year, in conditions from trail walking to scree fields / class 4 mountain stuff, and a lot of off trail bush whacking, I would take the 2 ounce penalty if it was me. Don't get me wrong, I think the cuben stuff is wonderful, I just think X21 face fabrics are where it is at for a broader range of uses and minimal weight gain, and a longer useful product life. Now, if I was thru hiking a trail hoping to do 25 miles a day, I may settle on cuben for the weight saving, but for everything else I'll go with a heavier face fabric (if I put on my consumer hat).

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

Yeah, I probably would have went with it too if it was available.

I think the cuben 2.92 saved 8 oz (with Talon) over your next lightest offering (vx21 I think) for only like $50. I couldn't resist.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Now that I know the background, I'll weigh in with my opinion since there's a good chance it could affect a future order from me.

I prefer neutral earth tones. Greens/browns/tans/dark grays are all fine. I have no interest in the brighter color options.

I haven't yet put my 4800 to the test (vx21 coyote brown) but assuming I like it, I had been thinking about eventually investing in a 3900 packbag for smaller loads. I was thinking about ordering this packbag in the 2.92 cuben ranger green. Replacing the cuben with x21 is fine by me (I can accept the 2oz weight penalty), I just hope there is/are neutral color option(s)… Gray is okay, greens/browns or even charcoal would be my preference though.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Gray is our choice , thanks for the feedback, but we can keep the discussion going. Our general customers, seem to have a preference for earth tones as well, so it makes sense.

Stocking 6 or 7 different fabrics, really is not our thing, although some make it work well.

Thanks
    Kevin

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

"Stocking 6 or 7 different fabrics, really is not our thing…."

How many colors are you guys planning on, then? I feel like 3 different colors could cover most needs: a really neutral gray, a dark green, and a bright orange for visibility seem to me like they'd cover most everybody's wants here, unless they're like Bruce Wayne and want everything to come in black.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

We want to stock 3 for most uses. Last year, we used up to 7 at times and being really honest, it wasn't efficient. You can end up with a lot of waste

Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

I like the Coyote, I think it would adapt to a great camera bag!!

I also like the grey; for me I'm not a fan of bright colours, but I know others are.

Pete

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools