Topic

Ursack S29 Allwhite Approved at Grand Teton National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ursack S29 Allwhite Approved at Grand Teton National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

Last night I talked to a park ranger and the Ursack is approved for the Tetons! Thought some might want to know.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They must go by approval by the IGBC. Ursack was certified on July 24th 2014

Remember this is only for the 2014 and newer produced bags and retrofitted S29s only. Older green bags and others do not apply.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

So I guess Yosemite bears are too smart for an Ursack?

I know it's not a case of bears are bears, but the bears in the Sierra's are like little pets compared to grizzlies.
    This 10 years in the making approval process is getting old.
    Just hope the S29's will be approved one of these decades.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

From ursack's website (http://www.ursack.com/updates/) it does look like they are at least reviewing it again. Who knows what will come from it.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Don't hold your breath..

In part , because those Yosemite bears can open up almost anything..

I've heard stories about them setting up a stove, boiling water, then cooking in a pouch, so that their stolen food was nice and hot

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

"So I guess Yosemite bears are too smart for an Ursack?"

No. the issue is not the bears… it's the people who are too stupid (or too lazy) for the Ursack… not sayin' that about anyone on this thread, mind you… but you need to realize the rules are not made for you… the NPS makes the rules for the lowest common denominator… the guy who doesn't read the directions for the Ursack and who doesn't give an F about tying the knot correctly and who will be too lazy to keep tying and untying, hanging and unhanging the Ursack every time he wants something out of that sack… I have both a can and a sack and I can tell you it is more trouble to open and close an Ursack than a can… and I would bet my entire wallet that means that there will be a lot of Ursack users leaving their sacks open on the ground more than they would with a can.

"I know it's not a case of bears are bears, but the bears in the Sierra's are like little pets compared to grizzlies."

Brute strength, size, and ferociousness does not = cleverness
    No bears are smarter than Yosemite bears about how to get at your food…

billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I would add that it's not enough to make the Ursack bear proof.

It has also got to be 'fool proof'…

I don't think it will escape the notice of the Yosemite ranger staff that the Ursack is harder to use properly than a canister.

billy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools