Topic

PCT section hike – Idyllwild to Walker Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports PCT section hike – Idyllwild to Walker Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Locale: Colorado Rockies

This is my attempt to do something a little different than the usual narrative form. I've put all my photos and journal entries from this hike on Google Maps, to try to create an interactive geo-journal. The photo thumbnails have links to full-size pics at Panoramio. Being a Google platform, this seems to work best with a Chrome browser, although I know it also works with Safari.

Hope you find this interesting (both content and platform). And if there is an app that makes this type of map creation easier, I'd be glad to hear of it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zp3nxMD3ClG4.kDBjb0xFcV-c

Frank T

@random_walk

Locale: San Diego

Well done, I say. I need more time to read all your entries but what I've read so far tell a great story.

Platform-wise, I like that you can manipulate the "blog" entries by panning and zooming around on the map, rather than the other way around (if that makes any sense).

FYI it works fine with Internet Exploder 9.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I love seeing where each photo or story took place as I'm reading. Some people are "geographically oriented", so this form works quite well for me.

Good writing, descriptions, and photos.

I'd also like to see a storytelling-by-map application!

Thanks!

— Rex

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

Roger, thanks for the kind comments.

I think the truly great napping spots choose us; we cannot choose them. Everything has to come together for a trail nap to be a memorable one: the weather, the view, the state of one's digestion, and just the right degree of tiredness. So I can't really recommend a specific napping spot. Trust your instincts – you will know the place when you come to it.

As for zero days – I wish I had taken a zero in Wrightwood rather than Big Bear. The latter is a weird combination of upscale pretense mixed with shabby strip malls, and is so sprawled out that you need to take a bus ride to do errands. It wasn't terrible, and I enjoyed Big Bear Hostel a lot, but Wrightwood was much better. It is a compact and laid-back town, and everyone there was unfailingly friendly and helpful.

Jack M
    Spectator

@theanimal

Unique and enjoyable! Thanks for posting.

I generally enjoyed the format but is there a way to go from one box to the next without individually clicking each one?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

As the others have stated, great job.

+1 on the nap advice, spot on.

I too like Wrightwood more so than Big Bear.

Drew Smith
    BPL Member

@drewsmith

"… is there a way to go from one box to the next without individually clicking each one?"

I don't think so. This was definitely a bit of a kluge, it took me a while to figure out how to get it to its current level of function. The most tedious aspect was placing the photos at the appropriate location. Although I could import the tracks into Maps (they are Halfmile's), I had to place each photo icon individually and then link it to Panoramio.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools