Topic

Thru-hiking packs for long torsos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thru-hiking packs for long torsos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Locale: Washington DC

Hey all, I'm in search of a pack solution for a planned PCT hike this coming season (and potentially future long distance hikes). I'm not terribly tall 6' or so, but my torso is quite a bit longer than average (I think around 22.5"–usually right above the cusp for most "long" sized packs). I've had a lot of trouble finding a pack that fits correctly. Also, I am a pretty lean guy and tend to get a sore neck easily (around the C7 vertebrae or so–probably from badly fitting packs), so I'm leaning toward a framed pack with better load transfer.

I have a GoLite Jam (2012 / size L) that is comically short, though I actually like the pack otherwise. I also own a 2011 version of the ULA Ohm, which is also too short and has a skimpy hip belt.

I'm considering going with a McHale pack, since the fit would be custom obviously. I don't know what the lead time is on his packs though, or whether I have the time to participate in such an involved purchase. The packs look like they are heirloom quality though, and if the fit and beefier frame / harness would help alleviate my neck pain, then it would be worth the time and money.

Are there any other alternatives for people with goofily sized bodies (tall and skinny, in particular) like me? Or should I bite the bullet and go with a McHale pack?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Was the Ohm a large? If so are you sure you're measuring correctly?

"Being too short" shouldn't be a problem — or at least would be a returnable problem — on any pack that comes in various torso sizes.

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Here's a picture of the Large size GoLite Jam (obviously the fit is not good, though I'm happy with the pack overall–there's actually a BV500 bear canister inside the pack in this picture):
    jam

Also relevant, my planned baseweight without a pack is roughly 9lb for the Sierras / N. Washington (plus ~2lb for the bear canister during those sections), and about 8lb otherwise. I can post a list sometime later.

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Yes, the Ohm was also a large. I've also tried on a Gossamer Gear Gorilla (large torso) and it was also too short. I recently took it on a five day trip with 25lbs max in it, and it did not feel particularly good. I don't mind keeping the ill-fitting packs around as loaners for friends (or just selling them on gear swap), but I want to make sure the next pack I get is going to be suitable for me. Looking around, it seems like most size Large packs, based on their listed specs, top out at about 22" for torso length.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Gossamer Gear Mariposa comes in 5 torso lengths. The X-Large is for those with 22'-25" long torsos and 6' 2" – 6' 7" tall.

The GG Mariposa X-Large is considerably longer than the Gorilla Large.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

The ULA Circuit and Catalyst come in XL, which might even be too long for you. My Conduit (L) is way too short for me but it's frameless so it doesn't matter all that much.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Sounds like the HMG packs with a size "Tall" torso should fit you just about right. There are usually about 2" between sizes, and my "Large" pack is right around 22" to the bottom of the hipbelt.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Tryhttp://www.zimmerbuilt.com/custom-backpacks.html He can customize one and he builds excellent packs.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

So I've got the exact same specs as you, and had this problem a year ago. I was looking at ULA, mostly. The only mainstream company that makes packs my size is Gregory, and those are heavy packs.

Bear in mind that different companies use slightly different ways to measure torso length – usually you tilt your head forward to find the C7 vertebra, but not every company has you tilt it back before you measure. This makes about a 1" difference.

I also wouldn't hesitate to contact any of the cottage manufacturers, even if they don't make one in your size – they'd probably be willing to custom make one. Or do what I did and just make your own!

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

+1 on ZImmerbuilt. His stuff is amazing….and it will fit you perfectly.

David Ure

@familyguy

I would get a hold of Dan at Mchale and go for it. Rather than buy all of these other suggestions and turn around and sell them when they don't work, get a Mchale. It will also last much longer than any of the other suggestions (the stitching is robust and impeccable). You pay upfront but given the long term nature of the pack, you won't be replacing it. Possibly ever.

I know because I have owned or still own the aforementioned packs (including a Mchale).

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

comes in XL which fits 23-24"

I have a large which fits 20-22" and my torso is 21.5" and it is a great fit.

Great pack and in the size range you are talking about.

http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

Also know that every company measures the torso length of their packs differently and differently from what your measured torso length is (hip bones/illiac crest to C7). Most measure bottom of hip belt to shoulder strap attachment. You want the measurement from middle of hip belt to shoulder strap attachment. Most folks get packs too short because of this. I called and got the real/actual measurement from Matthew before making my decision.

There has been more than a few Zimmerbuilts made and then resold because folks did not get this right. It is not Chris's fault, he just sews them to the dimensions he is given.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

The Elemental Kalais is a great pack that makes an extra large 23"-25" frame and you choose the materials and features you want. HERE is Will Rietveld's review and Sgt. Rocks video . If you need a bigger pack they also make the Aquilo,here is Will Rietvelds Highly Recommended Review for BPL. Mathew is great to work with and can answer any questions you may have, I love my kalais .

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

You could also do a Paradox Packs Unaweep. The frame is available with different extensions and the long extension is basically absurdly long for keeping the load lifters functional while hauling 100+ pound loads (the same frame is used in their hunting packs). I use the medium extension for backpacking, and I get a 45 degree load lifter angle with my 22" torso. For comparison, my HMG "tall" torso packs are just barely long enough. With the Unaweep you could get the long extensions and then trim them down to the length you want. They essentially have an infinite number of sizes between a 26" torso down to around 16". Do a "Unaweep" search here if you haven't heard of them.

They also carry brilliantly.

Happy shopping.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

I too have a 22.5" torso and considered the "large" HMG Windrider until talking with Mike who convinced me to go with the "Tall". It fits me perfectly!

Brendan Lammers
    BPL Member

@mechb

Thank you all for the recommendations, there are quite a few interesting packs that I haven't seen before (Elemental Horizons, Paradox).

I think that at this point, I'm leaning toward getting the HMG Southwest 3400 in the Tall size based on what I have read about the way the pack carries. It's also the perfect size and weight for a PCT pack, and it doesn't hurt that I like the aesthetic.

Getting an heirloom quality pack custom made for me by McHale is also really appealing, the only constraint for me is time. If the lead time is 3 months on getting a pack made, I may be out of luck. The only person that knows that is McHale, so it looks like I have some emails to send. Thanks all.

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

Thr Fusion 50 and 60 would be in your desired weight range and the med / large size can be adjusted for very long torsos.

whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

+1 for HMG Tall

Last season I used a 3400 Windrider Tall for JMT thru and it fit perfectly. Carried like a dream. I'm 6'4" with 22.5 torso. This year I'm going with Elemental Horizon Kalais Large.

David Ure

@familyguy

"Last season I used a 3400 Windrider Tall for JMT thru and it fit perfectly. Carried like a dream. I'm 6'4" with 22.5 torso. This year I'm going with Elemental Horizon Kalais Large."

What happened to the HMG??

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    whalen e
    Spectator

@whalen

I sold the HMG for a few reasons. While I truly loved the fit, by the end of the JMT, I was no longer enthused by the cuben material for packs (love it for shelters). HMG's craftsmanship is excellent. But the pack had a few small holes after two weeks, no match for granite. Easy enough to patch but for that price and that duration, I didn't want to have to repair it. I rediscovered my love for dyneema.

So I sold it and am waiting for my Elemental Designs Kalais. I enjoy trying out new gear, sell to buy, but since my transition to UL, I've swung from frameless to framed/cuben more than a few times. I'm hoping that the Kalais will be one that I keep for more than a season.

Although I went with the Kalais, I will add that because of the superb fit, I came close to buying another HMG made from the more robust 150 cuben.

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

I really like my Unaweep. Granted, I am only 5'8", but the frame rises nice and far above my shoulders, and there are extensions available to make it even higher. The shoulder straps do not even contact the tops of my shoulders (which I prefer).

I had a thread about it a while back:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=93927

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools