Topic

Tarptent Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

My hiking partner had the crap kicked out of his Protrail(and my gatewood cape) when we were in Iceland in August. I believe we had 25-30 mph winds and it wound up tearing in a few areas.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sr Al,

Then, there is another flap of silnylon that doesn’t seem to correspond to any other shape in the door area
    I can’t think of what it could be, can you post a photo ?

I remembered now (funny what I think of when I’m painting …)
    That extra bit of silnylon is for the rain curtain.
    Sets up like this :

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

My hiking partner had the crap kicked out of his Protrail(and my gatewood cape) when we were in Iceland in August. I believe we had 25-30 mph winds and it wound up tearing in a few areas.

The Pro Trail stands up with 4 stakes however in rough weather it will perform MUCH better with added guylines and tie outs.
    The two most important are the front and rear guylines (not included in the basic set up) then there are 4 tie outs on each side.
    Of course not having been there I can’t really comment on what went wrong.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

A question for Double Rainbow owners…

I believe I’ve seen photos of the DR pitched with all four door flaps rolled up and therefore only four cornerstakes in the ground. I’m curious how often people set up this way. Will it blow over in a stiff wind? Any thought of adding a guyline to get six stakes down with the doors rolled up? If I add a guyline I’m open to suggestions where it should go, maybe the vent?

edit:Thanks Franco!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I am not a DR owner but I’ll have a go…
    At the end of the apex cross strut there is a grommet .
    That grommet can be used to take the carbide tip of a trekking pole (and then guy that out) but you could run a guyline from that directly to the ground.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

The Pro Trail stands up with 4 stakes however in rough weather it will perform MUCH better with added guylines and tie outs.
    The two most important are the front and rear guylines (not included in the basic set up) then there are 4 tie outs on each side.

I recently purchased a Contrail and gave it to my son for his birthday.  The one I purchased as a guy line attached in the front near the pole grommet, I assume that is what you are referencing above as the front guyline.  What is the rear guyline?  Perhaps the one in the back center?  The one I purchased came with the optional rear center strut as well.  Am I correct in guessing that if this is indeed the rear guyline referenced, that attaching it to an additional stake rather than one of the corner stakes would be preferred in serious weather?

thanks, Matt

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Matt,
    the tail end is the most visible difference between the Pro Trail and the Contrail.
    If you guy out the center strut as well as using the under the apex guyline you end up with a similar set up to the ProTrail.

You are correct in saying that a separate guyline on the rear center strut works better.
    When guying out a tent you should try to visualise what that guyline will do when tensioned.
    In this case pulling the rear center guyrope on a straight line with the tent apex will put the ridge line in tension, if you guy it out on the side it will more or less just deform the tent.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Thank you for the response Franco.  As I was writing the post it dawned on me that I had figured out the solution, but I figured why not just post my question and confirm it.

But your response brings up another question.  You stated in an earlier post

The picture of a contrail you posted above shows 3 tie outs on the side, or perhaps the front one is counted as a side tie on both sides?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Good point…

The basic set up of a Contrail has 4 stakes.

That keeps the tent up in fair weather.

You can add a rear and front guyline as well as two side tie outs making it a total of 8 stakes.

A common reason for losing a boat in a storm is inadequate anchorage, that is not all that different with tents.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Thank you for the clarification Franco.

Matt

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

This thread just keeps getting great photos. It’s inspiring to see Tarptents in so many beautiful places around the globe. TT owners “get out a lot”.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Would it be convenient to rig the Double Rainbow in freestanding mode using found sticks? I would love to have the option but I dont use trekking poles.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Duke,
    Yes if you find straight enough sticks about 58″ or longer, it can be done.
    If longer you just insert a cup at one end and make a knot somewhere around 58″ away at the other.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Alright, Franco, another question I’m hoping you can answer, maybe tonight before the US Tarptent base wakes up :) Can I purchase a crossing pole that will work for the single wall Moment?

Thanks in advance

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The Moment and Moment DW use the same external 162″ crossing pole . $45 under Extras.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Calling Franco :), I’m having a couple issues with my Moment, though I really appreciate the space and I didn’t add guylines yet.

I can’t get the struts to spread apart all the way without pulling them myself.

I’d like to stake out the ends of the pole (not the corssing pole, the normal sleeved pole) but there’s nothing there to attach to, shouldn’t there be a stake loop there or will the tieouts halfway up be enough?

I’m having trouble keeping the top vents open, though I doubt this one has a simple solution.

Thanks in advance!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Duke,
    1) spreading the PitchLoc triangle.
    Take a look at how Henry does it at 45 sec into the set up video.
    2)Staking the cross pole down.
    There is no bottom loop at the base of the pole but you could use a shepherd hook there where the ribbon that connects the pole ends ends.
    (no need to do that if you do install and use the pole guylines and you should…)
    3) I cant remember how the vents on the Moment DW are built. I’ll have a look at it tomorrow…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A small stick works for keeping the vent open on my Moment DW.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A common reason for losing a boat in a storm is inadequate anchorage, that is not all that different with tents.

Excellent comparison. I see a lot of people trying to save weight using small thin shepherd’s stakes, not enough stakes, and thin guys. Not the place to save weight unless you only set up the shelter in nice weather, when one doesn’t even need a shelter. I think Skirka coined a term for this mindset.

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Nick, great input. Some trips you can skimp but if you know the weather will be bad, bringing good stakes is cheap and a small weight penalty for the amount of insurance it provides.

I use a tarp mainly and one way I justify carrying a small pocket knife(slip joint, always with me) with me is making my own pegs in the field. When summertime, I carry only 2 stakes (Easton nails) to make sure the Ridgeline has adequate support. I usually setup by a tree and can tie off to that for one anchor if needed. Making pegs takes no time and rocks are great hammers. Heck rocks work for anchors. I think more guy line might be a better carry then more stakes, hmmmmmm.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Beefy stakes are OK, but lately I’ve been leaving them behind in favor of BFRs*. It’s an easy way to save 4-5 ounces and for where I go it’s usually the only way to go about it. Sturdier too.

Stout guys for sure. On my Moment DW I replaced the stock cord at each end with something thicker (3mm) and less slippery to stop it from creeping in the Linlocs, which I previously dealt with in moderate gusty winds.

If the end struts don’t stay fully apart, I bet the ridgeline isn’t tight enough or you’re overly tightening the adjustment for the perimeter seams. You really need to crank on the ridgeline’s corresponding guyline to get it right. I mean really tight. You might have to spread them out while setting up, but if that ridgeline is tight it absolutely forces those struts apart.

As for the vent closing, are you snugging up the ribbon/ladder loc located at each end of the pole? The side panel fabric needs to be super taught for the vent to stay open. Again, a nice tight ridgeline helps here too. However, I think TarpTent could use something a tad stiffer in the vent to help. Doug’s suggestion of a small stick sounds good. I’ve used that trick on other tents at the vestibule fly to create a “vent.”

*Of course found onsite and returned to where I found them when I leave (LNT).

David L
    BPL Member

@family-guy-2-2

I recently used an SS1 and wanted to comment quickly.  Although I haven’t used it exhaustively, I will say that it is the most stable 3 plus season tent I have ever used.  I said tent, not trekking pole tent.  I was, quite frankly, blown away (no pun intended).

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Thanks for all the advice about the Moment, guys. I’ll rewatch the set-up videos and follow closely. Sticks sound like the right way to go.

I appreciate all the details, Alex. I’ll have to double check exactly what I’m doing tomorrow.

The ridgeline here is along the yellow sleeve, right?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

“The ridgeline here is along the yellow sleeve, right?”
    the longitudinal seam from the tip of one PitchLoc corner (the triangle) to the other.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

OK that make sense

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools