Topic

Tarptent Thread

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

Eric,

With it being spring and all, I think we need a report on how your winterised Moment DW has fared.

B Cook
    Spectator

@lonestarstomp

Locale: North of Boquillas

Hogback a trail mile below Guadalupe Peak back in February. Oil fields of the Delaware basin in the distance below were lit up after the sun went down.
    tarptent

Hogback, Elk, and Electric Peak in Yellowstone in June of 2014.
    Electric Peak

Last month below the Pinnacles in Big Bend's Chisos. Could not seem to get a good pitch in this spot no matter how many times I restaked and tightened and loosened lines.
    pinnacles

Boulder Meadow in the Chisos in May of 2014.
    Crown hogback
    It was my family's first overnight.
    scene boulders

Last summer car camping at Pedernales Falls in Central Texas. BRUTALLY hot. Peeled the hog back.
    pedern

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Joel,

It was a fate of errors this winter. When I was sick with the flu it snowed in the Spring Mountains. When I got well the snow had all but gone and only a small snowfall came in late April.

"Wait 'til next year!"

Yair Mazor
    BPL Member

@harmonicwave

Very nice thread and TT photos…

I'd like to share one of my own, from the Israeli desert (not sure I know how to attach pictures properly):

moment

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Nice pic, Yair. Thanks for sharing. Israeli desert?! Awesome!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My avatar was taken by Yair too.
    not the same one…
    Here it is :
    moonNight
    I called this one Two Moments with Yair (he is on the right):
    two Moments with Yair
    finally a Notch moment :
    Notch moment
    and another moment, this one with my young mate Sophie, aged 14, having set up my tent by herself for the second time, the first one was in my backyard:
    Sophie's Moment
    (note : hard, stake-bending soil…)

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Beautiful shots. Love the effect of the light inside gray silnylon at night.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Off in the distance in Denali. Not exactly a remote management unit but I enjoyed my time there.Notch Granite mountain

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Has anyone actually used or seen both a Hilleberg Enan and a Tarptent Moment DW "in the flesh" to be able to compare them? The two tents are so close in purpose and design that they beg for a comparison.

I'd love to see an objective spec. comparison including floor sizes, lengths, heights, ventilation, speeds of setup, weights, COSTS, options, materials, etc.

Somebody here facile with a spreadsheet can perhaps make this comparison. (Franco??)

Anyone with SUBjective thoughts can chime in as well.

I am trying to find a store with an Enan in the LA area before I have to trek back to 'Vegas next week. I'll take my camera if I find it and photograph it inside and out, hopefully with a tape measure alongside.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I'll let someone else come up with features and figures but maybe a separate thread ?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Eric,

I recently used an Enan for 2 nights and had a play around with a semi solid inner Moment DW last year. I cannot perform the facile task you requested but can try to answer any questions on the Enan.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Stephen,

Thanks for the reply.

We know the ENAN is at least twice the price of a Moment DW. (Somebody's gotta support that Swedish social system!)

My main questions are about comparing floorspace and ventilation.

Obviously the end CF rods and optional Crossing Pole of the Moment gives it more snow load and wind stability.

David Ure

@familyguy

The Moment has more usable space. Henry would never produce a shelter that a six footer could not sit up in on a sleeping pad.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Hilleberg don't list any authorized dealers in California on their website, so rather than searching in vain in LA, why not call Hilleberg customer service to ask? They have more detailed specs than are listed on the website or in the brochure.

As for comparing the Enan and the Moment DW, I'm not quite sure what's the point. They may look similar on a superficial level, but they appeal to different consumers for unique reasons. I've owned the Stratospire 2 and Notch, but went a different direction both times. They are fine shelters, but not for me. I find Hillebergs built to a different standard than just about any other tent manufacturer I've come across. The Enan seems to fix any of the shortcomings of the Akto, although the price is going to be prohibitive for most casual backpackers. For both models I prefer the single vestibule design vs the dual vestibule of the Notch. The former offers more uses for me as a dog owner.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Set up the standard way, the Moment DW has two vestibules, one 48cm/19" deep , the other
    28cm/11" deep.
    You can however slide the floor towards the smallest vestibule ending up , if you like, with one vestibule 68cm/27" deep
    Moment DW shift
    you might just be able to see a yellow marker in the tensioning strap, that is the 48cm std position.
    Just realised that there are two floor plans for the Enan, the Moment DW (with the sliding vestibule option) appears to be in between the two .
    This was the original Enan design :
    Enan 1
    and this is the current version (I think…) :
    Enan 2

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Yep, the Moment DW has a bit larger floor with its 12" greater width. The floor length is the same.

And the Moment's extra 3" of height is nice compared to the ENAN.

I realize Hilleberg's quality is first rate but so is Tarptent's quality.
    So why is the ENAN sooo much pricier? Is their version of silnylon that much better?

Even with ALL the pricier Moment DW options of an Extra inner tent, carbon fiber arch and X-ing poles, sealed seams and extra stake loops on the fly hem, at around $500. you still don't approach the $625. ENAN price.
    Just saying'…

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Eric.
    I think Tarptents designs are great and well thought out. I've owned a Scarp for 5 years, and seen closeup many other Tarptents. I've used and examined many Hillebergs.and have been a lifelong tent geek.

I also make my own gear and have been paid to modify shelters for others, including Hillebergs.

I feel I am able to safely state that Hilleberg materials, build quality, construction techniques and finish are all significantly superior to Tarptents. (or most other brands I've seen)

That's why they are heavier and more expensive.

I would still buy Tarptent as I like the designs and weight.(especially if they were dark green or brown!)

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

A pic from an overnighter in Colorado Springs. Climbed Stovetop Mountain (visible mtn in background) before setting up camp. Overall very pleased with the Protrail. Although, I am still trying to get used to front entry, and less room to comfortably sit up and move around (I am 6'4").Pup and Protrail

jimmer ultralight
    Spectator

@jimmer

The cost difference between Hillebergs and Tarptent is pretty easy to figure out.
    And,its not really just materials or construction.

Hilleberg is "familly owned" but the bottomline is they are a small mulitnational company with a worldwide dealer network.

They operate a MGF facility in Eastkern Europe, home offices in Sweden and a US office in the USA which supports Petra Hilleberg's very "cost effective" Dressage horse hobby .I am sure, that as oppossed to a hobby like hiking, the high $$ horses give her great insights into the shelter needs of the American hiking consumer..;)

Just the added markup required to maintain a dealer network ads at least 30% to the street price of Hilleberg's products. In their defense, they built their basic business structure during the 1970s and 80s when it was much mote expensive and risky to go customer direct before the internet.

Henry Shires on the other hand, makes everything in the USA, sells customer direct and has no foreign offices..And no Dressage horse habit. Although rumor has it Henry has set up a trust fund for Franco's cat..Just a wild rumor though..:)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

All true.
    Now I need someone to set up a horse found for me too
    Dakoda and me

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Thanks Jimmer.

"And,it's not really just materials or construction."

This one's under the heading of "SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED".

(NOTE: "Not that there's anything wrong with that.")

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Aside from the Scarp 1 and 2 and Moment DW there are few TT tents that can be classified as "winter" tents, able to withstand a good gale, say an all night 50 – 65 mph wind. Hilleberg has many of these "expedition" type tents.

Granted I've modded both my Scarp 2 and Moment DW for winter winds and snow but that's a "process" many would rather not go through.

Sooo, I wonder, IF there is the market for it, what would a Tarptent winter tent look like?

i.e. what do y'all want in a winter tent? (For you western Pennsylvanians, "y'all" means "y'uns") ;o)
    Give henry some guidance.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

I had just learned of the Hilleberg Enan moments before reading this thread. Saw a video in YouTube about it. FWIW, if it's true, it's basically the exact same as the Akto, but uses a 10 denier "kerlon 600" instead of the 1200 and the pole is of a smaller diameter. A 3-season Akto I guess. Even though the Akto isn't exactly 4 season.

I know that discussion is from some months ago. Just thought I'd post this though. Along with the price comes the lifetime warranty. Hilleberg will be around long after Mr. Bo. Will TT be around long after Mr. Shires? (That sounds terrible. I'm sorry) I don't own a Hilleberg, never have, just pointing it out. The TT Moment is the better buy IMHO.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The Enan is closer in design to the Moment than it is to the Akto but as for brand longevity what difference does it make to a tent you buy now ?

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Franco, I think he was referring to the ability to take advantage of Hilleberg's lifetime warranty at some time far in the future.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 175 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools