Topic

fireSLEEVE by exotac – weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) fireSLEEVE by exotac – weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hugh Webb
    BPL Member

@magoo

This kickstarter looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/exotac/firesleeve-waterproof-lighter

I especially like the ability to hold down the gas button so that it can be used to light things in hard to reach places. This, plus the waterproofing, overcomes the two key limitations of lighters compared to waterproof matches – while retaining all of the benefits of lighters (ease of use etc.).

Unfortunately it's for the classic, not the mini, so not so light weight. Interestingly, the comments section suggests that there may be plans to produce a mini version if this is successful.

THis also raises the key question of interest to people here. Does anybody here know how much this is likely to weigh?

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

It is a cool idea. I like that it works with a keychain and is waterproof. It would be an instant buy for me if it were for the mini.

The venerable bic has been getting some neat treatments lately. Have you seen the "lighter bro"? Again, I think this would be an instant buy if it were for the mini.

Now if they could just combine the two and make it for the mini. Scissors, blade, bottle opener, waterproof lighter, keychain.

http://lighterbro.com/shop/

Don Morris

@hikermor

The fact that it is an exotac product is about all I need to know. Their stuff is really good, even if expensive. If you are going into an environment where you need these capabilities, the weight differential is the least of your concerns.

Of course, I am posting from SoCal. Right now, about the last thing we need in the woods are effective lighters…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Clever idea. I suspect this will be popular among the EDC obsessed crowd.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Clever idea. I suspect this will be popular among the EDC obsessed crowd."

Exotac loves those guys. Helping them attain the light, yet tactical look :)

Other than holding the gas button down on its own, you only need a cap for the lighter. Superfluous

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Nice integrated design but a plastic bag and rubber band do the same thing for an exceedingly low cost and weight (and more use).

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

This could be made much better by ditching the bottom jacket piece and only having a top cap made of silicone that could encapsulate the top of the bic (or mini bic) lighter thereby serving to both grip the lighter and keep its striker safe from water.

The bottom of the lighter doesn't need to be waterproofed as it is just a piece of sealed plastic (with a tight enough seal to keep the pressurized fuel inside the chamber, so yeah, it's waterproof).

This design would be lighter, simpler, and would allow you to easily separate the lighter from the silicone keeper/holder, but still keep the holder attached to your person while using the lighter (and therefore not having any caps to lose).

Not sure why they didn't just make this instead of their overly complicated design.

If I cared enough, maybe I would start a kickstarter to make it myself (haha).

Instead I'm sure I'll just resort to using my mini plastic bag that already works just fine…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools