Topic

durable bushwacking windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) durable bushwacking windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I could use some help with this. I'm looking for a windshirt that can handle pushing through sharp manzanita and other brushyness. I love my patagonia houdini but it's not up to the task.

I'm looking for something in the 7-11 ounce range.
    Hood mandatory.
    Maybe a very light softshell would work?

In cold weather I will probably be using this over less durable insulation pieces like merino wool or grid fleece to protect it from abrasion when necessary.

I've looked at the wild things windshirt (10 oz) and it's supposed to be in between a rain jacket and windshirt, would prefer just a plain breathable windshirt.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I've done plenty of searching but everything I find is either some burly softshell or an ultra thin windshirt.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Bad link Roger

How about a little heavier nylon?

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/piragis/piragis-windshirt-102536

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Youre really looking dor a softshell if you want durability

Theres a reason why climbers wear softshells and many here wear softshell pants

Now thicker nylon can be quite durable, but at that point itll weight the same as a light softshell

If you want a windshirt perhaps the military versions?

;)

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

supplex/taslan – rockywoods.

rogers suggestion of taslan/supplex, which are basically the same thing, is good. I've used the same sierra designs supplex pants for literal decades now, though I did have to patch the knees a year or so back, with supplex patches, of course.

The stuff is totally big sur proof, and it breathes ok in even high heat, though it's better I think when it's under around 80F or so. I never get cold in it walking so I don't know what the lowest comfort temp is.

Dries super fast, is very strong, is NOT light.

I picked up what I think is a softwhell used and I sweat like a pig in it, to the degree I never use it anymore. It's a tight fitting style though. I'd rather wear a supplex wind shirt myself than the softwhell, and the supplex will be incredibly durable.

If I were to do this, I'd pick up a cr@ppy used windshirt at a thrift store (or just go to thrift stores and look for heavy wind shirt type jackets), with the most basic construction possible, ideally one piece for each arm, two pieces for the body, and one for the hood, ad then rip the seams and use the pieces as the template for sewing a new one. I did rain pants sort of like that, and they work fine.

Other options you may not have considered are things like used army wool shirts, which would not be useable in hot areas, but would be great in cooler times. Also worth a thought as cheap and easy is just a basic shirt, made out of polyester or nylon, also via thrift stores. that's cheap and easy, and should last you ok.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

URLs fixed – thanks. (Missing h in bushwhacking …)

Anna also gove the right links.

Cheers

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

FWIW, Justin, I have a supplex windshirt in near-identical the design from the link Ken posted, and I've been unable to destroy it in 15 years. The stuff lasts.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

> I have a supplex windshirt in near-identical the design from the link Ken posted,
    > and I've been unable to destroy it in 15 years. The stuff lasts.
    Some of the ones I make (Taslan, ~=Supplex) have lasted from about 1998.

Cheers

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I would make one of Roger's also if I could sew.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

same as Roger – make my own supplex shirt – fairly durable but I don't do crazy bushwacking

I wouldn't consider it a windshirt, just a shirt, or maybe that's all a windshirt is : )

Kind of heavy for a larger jacket

Jordan Z

@zbuster9000

I don't think they make it anymore but the Marmot Ion wind shirt is very durable. I've had it now for about 5 years and it is in perfect condition. Decent off trail/bushwhacking usage as well. Weighs around 5 ounces, might be worth a try.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Black Diamond Alpine Start? It's 9 oz, very breathable and will be way more durable than a Houdini.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Roger, MYOG would be best but I have no sewing machine, sewing skills, or time to learn. I do want to get really good at MYOG at some point.

Ken, that looks like a possible option. Thanks for the link.

Harald, I am basically looking for something that is Big Sur proof.
    It would probably be my only carried clothing in the summer because the only time I would possibly get cold during the day would be if the wind picked up when hiking on a ridge.
    During the colder winter months it would also be useful.
    In cold weather I could wear soft baselayers and midlayers that aren't very abrasion resistant and throw the windshirt over if I'm forced to push through brush.
    I do the same thing with windpants. I like hiking in running tights and I have thrown some thrift store windpants over them for abrasion.

Andrew, I just looked at Dave C's review for the black diamond and it looks promising. That black diamond also looks good for the winter camping I want to get into.

Can anyone tell me how the really light softshells compare in durability to the heavier weight nylon windshirts?

I stop by my local thrift stores about every week (they are on the way to school) but I have yet to find a windshirt that had a hood and a decent fit.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Justin, the Alpine Start is holding up very well. No holes or anything close, which is impressive.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

On sale at backcountry right now, I'm totally getting one. Thanks David!

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Agreed. Although I find the fit a bit odd.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Use an old rain jacket. Lighten the weight by cutting off the hood.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if you can find one, the military Houdini (made by Patagonia) is definitely robust, but twice the weight of the regular Houdini (4.5 vs 9 oz), I use it for hunting and is holding up famously- these are issued to special forces troops so I'm guessing they have stressed theirs considerably more than I have :)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Here's a supplex jacket in med for $15. They also have a top and bottom wind suit.

Other good deals at this site too. Check out the $5 fishnet tops, for example.

here

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

"Agreed. Although I find the fit a bit odd."

Same here. Remember when it fit ok overall it was too tight around my shoulders.
    Bit heavy, but very often you can wear it all day. I bought something similar but a bit lighter from TNF JP. Even when it's too hot I just take off my base layer..

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

No hood :(

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

My Westcomb Crest hoody has taken a few small scrapes so far.

Roman Vazhnov
    BPL Member

@joarr

Locale: Russia

Tight neck area makes it unusable.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools