Topic

A lightweight case for my glasses?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A lightweight case for my glasses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I just hang mine inside the tent from one of the fabric loops. If you bring reading glasses then I can see needing a case, but if you're a full time glasses wearer then just hang them when you sleep and set them somewhere safe when you swim/bath.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

When I go to sleep I put my glasses inside my shoes. I find this solution simple and effective, because the glasses are always stored in the same place: when sleeping inside a tent, under a tarp or… under the stars.

In the past I also took a case, but nowadays I simply toss the glasses inside the backpack (protected with unused clothes) when they are not used. And my glasses were not broken yet!

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I have just made a case out of 3mm evazote foam and cut blocks of rigid polyurethane foam. There are 4 shaped blocks that surround my partner's expensive glasses. These blocks are stitched to the evazote to make a case with an envelope flap closed with a tiny hook and loop patch. 4 grams 0.14 ounces total

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

I wear mine on a lanyard around my neck (quick and easy access), and then put them in the little pocket of my Tarptent when I sleep. However, if the pocket isn't there, a shoe sounds pretty effective. In any case, a specific case just for specs seems superfluous to me. The glasses, however, are not, especially as one ages and ones arms seem to grow shorter when one reads a map.

Stargeezer, er, Gazer

Geoffrey Lehmann
    BPL Member

@yipper

Locale: deep south

The flexible plastic tube holding a six-pack of crystal lite drink mix weighs 1.1 oz and hold my sunglasses well. The tube doesn't last forever; it will develop longitudinal cracks, but provides good protection at a great price.

Judy palmer

@judypalmer

A large plastic pill bottle weighs 1oz and holds a pair of glasses. It is rigid but not brittle. For ease of opening, remove the child-proof clasp.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Judy, that looks great. Where can one get a pill bottle like that?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools