Topic

A lightweight case for my glasses?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) A lightweight case for my glasses?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

So I'm one of those that have been cursed w/ poor vision. I just realized that my glasses case weighs in at a ridiculous 4.15 ounces. Does anyone know where I might find a lighter weight option? I think it would be possible to cut this item's weight in half, but so far have not been able to find anything.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Depending on where you pack your glasses — one UL option is to wrap in a piece of bubble wrap and then rubber band.

Heather Pisani-Kristl

@p-k

Locale: San Diego

Not SUL, but a lightweight plastic food container might work as well, and accommodate other (soft) items. After weighing my optometrist-supplied glasses case, I found that an oblong cat-themed playing card container was lighter and held either my glasses or my digital camera, depending on what I wanted to protect at the moment. A truly random re-use of a household object.

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

I have been using this zippered case for several years. Remove the clip from the back and it weighs in at 1.5oz. Handles most size glasses.

http://www.productwizard.com/bianchimodel7800-accucasesunglasscase.html

Bill B
    BPL Member

@bill123

Dan McHale's idea. Scroll down the page a bit:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/letter/index.htm

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

good idea bill, a wide mouth plastic container to hold glasses along with anything else you can jam in there like battries or other fragiles.

Simon Harding

@simonharding

I use a snack sized ziplock or keep them in my "office ziplock with map, pencil stub, etc, but my glasses are Walgreen's readers, not Rx, so they are cheapos.

Simon

Chris Conway

@lntpunk

Locale: Midwest

I remove the cardboard from the partial roll of toilet paper I bring and slide my glasses in there. Fits my glasses & RX sunglasses and as long as I have packed some extra as a precaution it stays padded. I keep it in the top top panel of my Golite Trek where I can also tuck it into my rainjacket. Never worry about them getting crushed…. unless I were to trip and land upside down somehow…. but it seems to me I might have greater worries if that were to happen.

Richard Loar

@loarrh

My soft case that strapped to my shoulder straps weighed 3.5 ounces, and was very inconvenient (absolutely hated it).

I had an old rectangular toothbrush holder that I ended up modifying to hold the glasses. First I cut-off the extra length so that the glasses would barely touch the top & bottom (so that they didn't rattle). I then used a strip of adhesive back velcro wrapped around the main body right below the lid. Both my BP and day pack have a 3/4" strap on the shoulder pad that another strip of velcro goes under, and then sticks to the velcro on the case. The whole thing weighs 1 ounce.

Robert Matson

@rmatson

Locale: Brooklyn, NY USA

Using a plastic case marketed for transporting drawing pencils/pens/charcoal, bought at art supply store (probably Pearl Paint, NYC, but they're common). Square plastic case with "drawer" that slides in/out and snap holds it shut. 8 x 1 1/8 x 2 1/2. 1.6 oz./46 gm. Sturdy, won't bend or break. Wrapping the glasses, inserting them. Can put in other small stuff as well. Can't find a photo, sorry. – RM

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Do you want a hard case or soft? If soft will do, a simple sleeve of bargain bin fleece made 3-4 inches longer than the folded glasses is a simple reasonably protective holder. Don't mess with a closure, just tuck the long end inside.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

I made a bombproof case that weighs 1 oz, for a pair of expensive polarized sunglasses. Here's how I did it (material links provided below):

Pick up one 6' section of 1-11/16" x 1-3/4" x 1/32" Tenite Butyrate Tubing (it weights ~ 0.121 ounces/inch and costs $6 per 6'section) and two polyethylene caps ($0.18 each) from US Plastics. Cut tube to length (mine is ~6") with hacksaw. Cap each end. Add a thin microfiber cleaning cloth to wrap your specs in. Voila… that's it.

LINKS:

TUBE: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog_name=usplastic&category_name=78&product_id=4905&variant_id=42132

CAPS: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/variant.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=78&product_id=4933&variant_id=42106

What do you do with the left over tubing? Lots of stuff… perhaps you need a puncture proof container to keep your Ti tent stakes from poking holes your shelter or pack? Have a fly rod? This stuff works great to protect it for only 3.7 ounces… Have a vintage pinup magazine you bring on the trail? this stuff keeps the nibbling pika's at bay…

John Sixbey

@wolfeye

I normally use the dinky little stuffsack that came with my raingear to hold my glasses at night. It does what I want – it keeps them dry.

My vision is so bad (I'm probably legally blind without them) that I also carry a pair of folding, optical-quality reading glasses fitted with my normal prescription lenses. Folded & stowed in their case, they're only about the size of a cellphone. I could also use them as my primary glasses and use the case they came with instead of the stuffsack, though I'd rather have two glasses handy.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brian,

Great information and thanks for sharing!

Question: How ridged is the tubing?

Can it be crushed/deformed in the pack and therefore crush the glasses?

Again, appreciate the links that you included.

-Tony

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Tony – While you can defect the wall of the tube, to crush it you'd have to stand on it or pinch it pretty firmly with your hands. I can't imagine anything going on in the pack that would be able to damage the glasses. If you want a stronger tube upgrade to the 1/16 inch wall thickness tube that weighs 0.223 ounces/inch.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Brian,

You just showed me how to save a little bit more weight in my pack!

Since I wear prescription glasses, I don't want to crush and damage a $400 pair of glasses….plus being blind on the trail would be a bad thing. :)

I will try out the lighter tube and if it isn't what I want, I can get the other one.

Fortunately, your solution is not expensive at all.

Thanks again.

-Tony

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Good deal Tony! These forums are great… Hey, be sure you measure your glasses… you may be able to get away with a smaller tube. US Plastics has various sizes of tube diameters…

Unknown abc

@edude

Actually you don't need a case. I've worn glasses for years and when I'm camping in warm weather with a shelter(I say warm weather because I would'nt want my glasses to freeze in winter) I hang my glasses to the top of the tent or tarp with a piece of paracord. You could shave some weight by using spectra cord. Sure your glasses might have some condensation on them in the morning but, you can warm them in your sleeping bag or pockets or hands right before you get up.

-Evan

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Evan,

You are right, but in my case, I carry two pairs.

Sunglasses and a regular pair.

I have considered getting some transition lenses so that I just have 1 pair to worry about.

Oddly, at night, I have learned to sleep with my glasses on.

I am a back sleeper and don't move much, so it kinda works for me vs. waking up in the middle of the night and hunting in the dark for my glasses.

-Tony

Unknown abc

@edude

Yes I carry a pair of (non-perscription – an ordinary cheap plastic pair that requires no special attention)sporty sunglases to put on during the day while hiking. While I'm wearing my sunglasses, the regular glasses go in the very top of my pack inside a ziplock that I call my 'Quick Access Bag" which also includes my first aid kit, whistle, compass and bandanna(wrapped around glasses).

Be careful though, closing the top of your pack too tight or place any thing hard against them and you may risk breaking your glasses.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dollar Tree has a translucent plastic case that weighs 1.1 oz. for $1.

dan mchale
    BPL Member

@wildlife

Locale: Cascadia

Bill B above was referring to an erased pic of a Kraft Parmessan grated cheese container. Although slighly bulky, They allow for a sock to be used to pad glasses. They weigh 1.6 oz/ 45 grams.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

It's pretty light though never weighed and bomber tough – I ordered from Cebe Canada 2 Cebe wrap style hard plastic cases for about $7-9 bucks each for our sunglasses – because of the material and the design these are crush proof – I think you could stand on them. Our sunglasses are not Cebe but these Cebe cases fit and are the strongest we could find.

Haven't read whole thread so sorry if I'm repeating prior suggestion.

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have a case that I got from REI a couple of years ago. At 2.2 ounces, it's a bit heavier than I'd like, but it has done do a good job protecting my (cheap) sunglasses on roughly 100 hikes/snowshoes/scrambles, and is only $10. The closest thing I saw at rei.com currently for sale was this hardshell case – that looks like it could be a newer model.

I ordered this softshell case from sourcingmap. 1.0 ounces – very promising. But no. It's too small to hold my sunglasses. It also seems cheaply made. I've never even used it, and it has two half inch rips in the outer fabric near the back, where the case flexes when it opens and close. The $3.99 price is nice, but you'll pay significantly more than that because of (not outrageous) international shipping costs.

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

I'm pretty blind. The last few pairs of glasses I've gotten have had the lightest polycarbonite lens material with transition lenses in a Silhouette titanium frame. Glasses weigh 10g, no need for sunglasses, the frame is indestructible (you can actually bend it and it springs back) so no real need for a case. I stick them in one of the netting pockets of my tarptent when I go to sleep, put them on when I wake up. If they get wet I use a bandanna to dry them off.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools