Topic

INTERESTING EBAY TENT…TARP TENT COPY?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) INTERESTING EBAY TENT…TARP TENT COPY?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

Hey everyone,

Keeping with the recent spotlighting of pretty decent backpack available on Ebay, I saw this tent on ebay and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it.

Has a Tarp Tent look to it. In the pursuit to find affordable lightweight options for my Boyscouts, I may take a chance with it unless anyone here advises me not to.

What do you think Guys and Gals? Anybody know anything about this…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PERSON-BACKPACKING-TENT-TWO-MAN-BIVY-STYLE-CAMPING-HIKING-BIKING-SCOUTS/321520200329?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25217%26meid%3D5caf5390ba224230b15ac2e4a9f8f9d6%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10629%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321485958235

Thanks Everyone…

Ernie the Eyeball

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I saw this recently and thought it was cool until I saw the 7 foot length. With that length and low foot end, you have to be tiny to fit.

cody yochum
    Spectator

@uclacody0908

Locale: Nor Cal
    Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

It's a $30 tent in every sense of "cheap." It's a heavy 3 lb impossible-to-pitch-taut monstrosity that leaks in light rain. That vestibule is a mess.

the Ebay listing is more expensive than if you walked into Big 5…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You're not planning on making those scouts camp in Florida are you? Blech.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Notice some of the reviews:

“weak tent. ripped on first 10 day outing. but great seller fast shipping”.
    I think the SMD Scout tents are stronger, less weight, but just for a little more money.

“Not really a 2 person tent but all well.” Maybe good for one scout.

But most noted “Fast shipping!! Great packing too. Wonderful price” which means there’s not many decent reviews.

One scout may go through 3 of these tents in one season. So it seems much cheaper to spend a little more up front for less headache and lower cost in the end.

-Barry
    -Have fun with those scouts :)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Scouts have been using the Eureka Timberline series for years.

NOT the lightest tents, but relatively inexpensive ($150 for a two person tent), split up is about a reasonably 3 lbs ea for the two person model , reasonably weather resistant and (perhaps the most important) able to take a beating from your typical 12-15 year old boy. :)

Would I backpack with one of these today? Heck no.

But, I'd like to think I take better care of things more so than my 12 year old self. :)

These tents will last a while more so than the $50 tent you found on e-bay. Decent enough for below treeline winter camping, too. In other words, for a scout troop these tents are cost effective in the long run.

If you want light and inexpensive, go with a tarp. Good way to practice those boy scout knots, too!

Just my .05 worth.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/product/tents/478242-149276/tioga-v-lite-2-person-tent.html

$50.

I saw one on the Wonderland Trail the day after it rained buckets (which I fortunately missed). I didn't ask the guy how it held up but he seemed fine.

I have one and I fit in it fine with one of my kids. I'm 6'3".

I've yet to use it in a rainstorm.

I think it's about 2.5 lbs if I use my trekking pole instead of the included tent pole.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

+1 on using tarps instead. They will learn more and get closer to nature. For bugs, get each Scout a head net.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools