Topic

Inflating pads for big guys

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inflating pads for big guys

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I am 6'4" and am looking for a torso pad. My problem is that all the ones I see are at the most 20" wide. This is still a couple of inches too narrow for me and most are too short as well. Thought about modifying a thermarest, but am concerned about the cost involved if it fails. I am hoping that there is a solution that another has found. Help!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Keep looking! There are 25" T-Rests out there :-) My husband has two of them-he is also 6'4" and very broad shouldered.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

Thermarest doesn't make a 25 inch torso length pad currently IIRC. You could make one by cutting down a Large Ridgerest.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Or cut down a 25" trest and reseal it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You just have to look closely….the Prolite 4 comes in a 25" width in size L. So does the Basecamp as well. As does the Large Trail Lite.
    So yes, you do have to get a full length pad, but you can get a 25" width.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I wouldn't want to risk resealing a T-Rest. Having seen the factory and how they make them…..no way would I do a mod on one!

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

You might not but it could be an option for a torso length 25" pad. A couple different people on BPL have done it.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

message deleted

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Yeah, I have thought about doing the mod to my 25" wide full length Thermarest, but am worried that I will wind up with an $80 piece of trash. I have a wide Ridgerest also but am looking for something with less packed volume. So I guess I will be waiting for some manufacturer to step up to the plate. So it's back to plan B, carrying a wide full size pad strapped to the outside of my pack. Thanks for all the input so far.

Rob Blazoff

@genetic

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.

So Thermarest doesn't make a torso length 25 incher. Montbell only makes 20 inchers and I think Big Agnes as well. Thermarest will factory repair holes if you want. I would email someone at Cascade Designs/Thermarest to see if they will factory seal a 25 inch pad that you cut to a shorter length. Try an REI garage sale or ebay for your pad. It is worth asking. Good luck.

Brian Austin

@heelrod

Just get the full length. It's 2lbs, BUT, it is sure comfy :-). If you have broad shoulders like I do, you will need it. I hike lite, but I don't skimp on my back.

If your gonna go for comfort, go all the way I say

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools