Topic

booze, drinks, etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition booze, drinks, etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    G Dup

@lococoyo

No it shouldn't dissolve and as long as you are using a fine enough filter (stuffed cotton balls, coffee filter, etc) then you should not be getting much MgSO4 coming through. I never intended to drink the alcohol so I couldn't tell you for sure.

If you do this and would like to drink it, please double check its clean. Pour some of the alcohol on a clean mirror or glass dish and let it evaporate. There should not be any residue.

WARNING: Of course this is just for creating (dangerous) lightweight alcohol stove fuel and I would never recommend you come in contact with alcohol as you could explode and die.

Forgot to mention… this is 'kind of' important and hopefully obvious. Hardware store denatured alcohol has got poison in it that you do not want to drink cept maybe after fractional distillation and who knows what else. If you are going to make lightweight drinking alcohol to give to chimps then start off with spirits from the liquor store.

nick lidakis

@nyc_paramedic

On my last AMC trip I brought along some Wild Turkey 101 bourbon in a small 20 oz. plastic bottle. I didn't know if everyone would be comfortable taking a swig from the same bottle and was looking for a lightweight solution for drinking cups. A nurse in the ER where I work gave me a whole bunch of small plastic graduated medicine dispensing cups.

I passed the cups around our first night after a long hike in the Adirondacks. Everybody was more than thankful for a little medicine that night.

Scott Peterson

@scottalanp

Locale: Northern California

Snow and Maker's Mark seems to be my favorite so far.

Wild Turkey is just a little on the harsh side. Everclear is way too much for my body…I had 3 sips of 151 one time after a long hike and felt sloppy pretty quick. Red wine can be nice…but still on the bulky/heavy side.

Beer would be my go to selection after a long hot day…but for obvious reasons that is not a choice. Plus, the first beverage I have upon return to civilization is some kind of fresh IPA, and the anticipation is fun.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

When is somebody going to invent dehydrated beer and then you inject some tipe of carbonation from some spray can then use snow melt run-off. There are hole bunch smart peolpe that are part of this website- YOU CAN DO IT!!!

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

ok steve. so what the heck is jeneve? never heard of it….

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Being a Scotsman, i love a nice wee dram of single Malt. My favourite is Bunnahabhain from the isle of Islay. Here's a tour of the distillery to tickle your tastebuds! Mmmmm……

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I believe it's a type of Gin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahhh, Islay malts. Now there's a man of discriminating taste.

Darren McClintock
    BPL Member

@darren

I'm sure this is a very novice question, but I've heard that you shouldn't carry liqour (say Yukon Jack) in a platypus? Is that true and why? Does it give you a nasty hangover or something?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

I always thought it was red wine that gave the worst hangovers. Also, I was always told to beware of rancid ice.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools