Topic

booze, drinks, etc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition booze, drinks, etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Where did you buy it? We have 1 liquor store in a 60 mile radius and they don't carry it. Is it carried in most liquor stores?
    In my youth it was a bootleg item. ;-)

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I see you live in the PNW as do I. ~Pure alcohol is available in liquor stores in some states, but not in others; I think it's another case of the authorities reckoning that the citizens are too stupid to know what's good for them and protecting them by eliminating some options. Or maybe it's about the state cost of health impacts, who knows.

At any rate, I live in WA state and we can't buy it, but if I'm in OR then I can by it at any liquor store. I was just in Utah for a brief vacation and was searching for alcohol stove fuel in vain near Zion national park (gas stations didn't carry HEET !) and as a last resort I checked their little liquor store and it's the same deal as in my state, they don't sell it to ordinary citizens. BTW, sterno works to heat water but takes a long time …

I think that if you grope the internet you can figure out which states do and do not allow ordinary folks to buy everclear (or clear spring or whatever brand of grain alcohol).

P. P.

@toesnorth

Thanks Brian. I'll check in Idaho (I'll be there next week). Otherwise, I guess it will have to wait until my next trip to Oregon. Everclear seems like a good way to kill two birds with one 'shot'. ;-)

Jeffrey Snyder

@jeffsnyder

You have to be careful when buying everclear for use as fuel. In some states they sell it but it's only 151 proof, which probably isn't that great of a fuel.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

My post epic celebratory ritual consists of hot cocoa powder and hot water (mixed extra strong) with a generous tipple from The Yukon Jack flask. The orange flavor provided by this sweet liquor from our upstairs neighbors in the Great White North combined with rich chocolate makes for the perfect salve for sore muscles, eh!

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Yukon Jack is also great with hot apple cider mix!

Dan

x c

@yyeessno

v

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I often take red wine decanted into a Platypus on paddling trips but not on backpacking trips. That said I've been known to take a couple ounces of dark rum, Grand Marnier or fine Cognac (I have expesive tastes) in a small leakproof Nalgene. Then I use it in cooking (I love to flambe) or hot chocolate.

P.P. (toesnorth). Is your bananas flambe just bananas and brandy? I'd love to hear more about what you do for that.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Laurie, Alas, it is not my own recipe. I've come up with some good originals but not that one. The basis for mine is from on a recipe in The Back Country Kitchen by Teresa Marrone.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

thanks toesnorth… Ihave that one so I'll check it out when I finish the move and find all of my books.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

I like Grand Mariner too, but I rarely take it backpacking. Usually we just have wine. I don't put it in a platy b/c the platys tend to absorb flavor and color. (I have one that STILL tastes like iodine, 4 years later. Ick.) Yup. I use a big heavy naglene. :p

BUT… I just found wine in tetra paks! No nalgene needed!

http://www.onepanwonders.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=2541436

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Southern Comfort give me a good rebel yell at the end of the day.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The little airline-style bottles make for a nice after dinner cocktail. 12 year old Scotch and a chunk of 1000 year old glacier ice is the preferred wilderness drink :) For mixing, 151 rum delivers good ratios.

bobby c

@bobbycartwright

Locale: i don't need no stinkin badges!

why not a bit of the ol' green? mary jane would be a great compromise, an ounce of mj and a coupla packs of rolling papers would only be a coupla ounces tops, and you can get high everyday for a month on some good buds. enjoy!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Or maybe just don't take anything….what a concept….

Dave T

@davet

P. P.

@toesnorth

"why not a bit of the ol' green?"

Can you imagine getting 'paranoid' in grizzly country??!!

"Or maybe just don't take anything….what a concept…."

Killjoy! Just kidding Sarah…………..kinda.

Matt Brodhead

@mattbrodhead

Locale: Michigan

Holy crap this thread has expanded!

I'm surprised no one has said, "JUST BRING LSD."

That will take getting 'paranoid' to a whole new level…

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Whiskey, it's a sweater for your insides.

Countryman _

@noshroud

Brandy is quite nice with tea, hot or cold.
    Whiskey's great because it's delicious just with water.
    MJ is substantially lighter of course, and it doesn't dehydrate you so much.

When are they going to learn how to easily dehydrate alcohol…

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

An 8oz. Nalgene bottle full of a good brandy is worth the extra weight. Crack the lid and place the bottle in your cook pot, having left an inch of hot water therein.

Happy Trails

G Dup

@lococoyo

Doesn't seem all that nice (to anyone) to be burning plastic bottles, especially in the forest where you are going to have burnt up plastic/petroleum/carcinogens in the air you breath and there on the forest floor for the next million years. Sounds especially stupid and inconsiderate.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> When are they going to learn how to easily dehydrate alcohol…

Commercially available: Analytic Reagant (AR) grade alcohol. 0% water content. Therefore dehydrated.

However, I am not sure this was what was really meant …

G Dup

@lococoyo

Its easy to dehydrate alcohol. Get magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt), bake in oven to drive off all moisture. Mix the anhydrous magnesium sulfate into alcohol. Filter out magnesium sulfate and repeat as necessary. The MgSO4 soaks up the water. You are left with 'dry' alcohol. I think thats pretty much how it went.

What is this for by the way? Lightweight alcohol lol? I don't know about drink that… We occasionally needed to rinse product with alcohol etc contaminated with unwanted H2O. If your product is water soluble, it will dissolve and be rinsed away – ouch!

Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

Would any of the epsom salt dissolve in the alcohol? That could make for an interesting night. Epsom salt is an FDA approved laxative, lol.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools