Topic

Steam Baking With Silicone Cups

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Steam Baking With Silicone Cups

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

OK, I know this has been covered here before several times, but I had good results and wanted to share my experience. I carry a pretty minimal cook kit, consisting of a Ti wing Esbit stove, a titanium windscreen and an 850mL pot. I don't cook anything more complicated than ramen or pasta sides or heating water for coffee in the morning. I'm not willing to add much (if any) weight or complexity to my cook kit to steam bake, but if I could do it with my existing gear, then that would be a nice bonus. Turns out that it works, and I only added 0.8 oz and a single item to my cook kit.

I first tried using some silicone baking cups with feet as referenced here, and while it worked, they made a pretty pathetically small muffin, small enough that it didn't seem worth the effort. Another round with Amazon and I found these 4" diameter cups which make a much bigger and more satisfying muffin. Much better.

I first tested the system on a canister stove, and made a delicious fluffy muffin after about ten minutes of steaming. Perfect- that's just about exactly how long I can boil water on a single Esbit tab. So I tried it again with my tiny Ti wing stove and windscreen. The recipe I used is just as lazy as my typical backpacking dinners:

2.5 oz Bisquick
    0.5 oz Nido instant milk
    A handful of raisins and a touch of cinnamon
    (All of this stuff will be pre-mixed at home in a single ziplock.)
    Then just enough water to make a sticky dough ball.

I put a spoonful of coconut oil in the bottom of the baking cup first, but I don't think that's necessary other than to add a few more calories to the muffin. The mix then goes into the baking cup. The cup should be just over half full or the muffin will spill out over the top when it cooks.

You'll need something to keep the baking cup off the bottom of your pot; I folded a piece of aluminum foil onto itself a number of times and made a 5/8" x 6" long strip that I bent into a coil, but some small rocks from your campsite would work just as well. I put the baking cup on top of this in my pot, and added a little less than an inch of water. This went on my stove with a 14g Esbit tab, which brought the water to a boil in about 2-3 minutes and burned for another 12 minutes after that. The muffin was done after 9-10 minutes, but I just let the whole tab go to see if I could leave it unsupervised in camp, and it worked out fine. So I can set it up, go do something else for 15 minutes, and come back to a freshly baked muffin.

I came back a few minutes later, and was rewarded with a perfectly baked muffin. The muffin pops easily out of the silicone cup with basically no clean-up afterwards.

I was quite pleased with how easy this turned out to be. Like I said before, I wasn't willing to accept much complexity or weight to gain the ability to steam bake. But for $11 and 0.8 oz of weight and total compatibility with my minimalist cookset, it's a no brainer.

Future baking plans include:
    Bisquick biscuit with cheddar cheese and a tuna packet in the middle
    Cornbread (w/precooked bacon, cheddar cheese?)
    Chocolate fudge brownies
    Yellow cake w/Nutella on top
    Trader Joe's mixed berry scone mix

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Possibilities …

Cheers

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Yum! Darn you, now I have to go and order some of those muffin cups! I did try the dry baking approach on the last trip – made a big cinnamon/nut/raisin roll for the two of us for breakfast – but it took a loooong time (like an hour). This is much faster.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Yep, Jon Fong made some delicious looking food with his dry baking stuff at GGG. But spending an hour cooking just doesn't mesh with my hiking style. This way is much faster.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I think there are times when the slower dry baked stuff will work – it meshed fine with my trip last week, where we took our time the first morning enjoying the views, getting organized, etc. More of a "chick" trip,, with my friend who is more of a yoga/meditation person than a go go go person. But most of my trips are not that relaxed!

Linda Alvarez
    BPL Member

@liniac

Locale: Southern California

> Trader Joe's mixed berry scone mix

I made these on a recent trip and they came out great steamed. I used normal sized muffin cups, (disposable aluminum) but I like your gigantor version better, less waste too! Do you have a link to the item you bought at Amazon? (edit: nevermind–just noticed you did link to it!) The only issue I have with steaming is that it uses a lot of fuel vs. just bringing water to a boil, so it is not something I'd do every day.

Bonus on the scone mix — if you add a little more water, it works decently as a pancake batter too.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Silicone cups are the best! They are my favorite for what I call "faux baking" ;-)
    http://www.trailcooking.com/fauxbaker/

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

A couple weeks ago I very successfully made a large muffin in a SnowPeak bowl inside of a LiteTrail 1600ml Ti pot. I fit a whole pouch-package of muffin mix (the 6.5 oz package). It's not the lightest setup, but I thought I'd share in case anyone else had these two pieces and wanted to experiment with steam-baking. I imagine silicone cleans up a bit easier than ti, but I didn't find it too bad. A little water was all that was needed to clean the bowl.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Decades ago, I used to just take some chocolate cake mix from the grocery store, mix it in a plastic bag and then 'bake' it in a pot with an aluminum steamer pot insert that you would use at home to steam vegetables. Fresh backed chocolate cake in the back country tastes and smells GREAT! Steaming in a plastic bag it comes out as a lump without a nice shape, but tastes just as good.

Billy

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Steam baking is the fastest way to cook bread. It is easy and simple to do and is great if you don't need to have a brown crust.

pizza

That being said, I don't mind waiting an hour if I can have a crispy pizza on the trail (Crabtree Meadow, August 2014).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Steam baking is also the most reliable way to bake a muffin. No chance of it burning.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Steam baking is the fastest way to cook bread.

If you have a non-stick aluminium pot, you can dry bake 1" thick bread or scone (similar to muffin) in 10 minutes.
    That's faster and more fuel efficient than steam baking.

It is easy and simple to do and is great if you don't need to have a brown crust

Ditto dry baking.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Jon, as usual your trail food looks amazing. I'm still in awe of the cheeseburger you made at GGG.

This isn't exactly steam baking, but shows what you can do with a wood stove and a few pots:

cookie

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Is that a big cookie?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Yep. 6" diameter chocolate chip.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

How many servings do you get out of one giant cookie?

–B.G.–

Andrew F

@andrew-f

About five of those cookies per serving, after a long day of hiking.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

This is brilliant. I have some of these silicone baking cups and I have never used them. Now I must go backpacking just so I can make a muffin and make everybody jealous!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools