Topic

Martin Titanium Knife

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Martin Titanium Knife

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to:

Martin Titanium Knife

Lapsley Hope

@laps

"You pay for this site, yeah? So just stop paying if you're not happy."

You got that right! And I will add for clarification, that it is I that won't be signing up for a renewal to this site. Constantly disappoints.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Chaff is for arguing and talking about off topic items Adam. That is what we do there. Cute that you apparently went through my entire posting history to find a complaint in the MLIFE forum thread about ads…when we were discussing ads. Obsess much?

If you want to personally attack me, send me a PM. Else shove off.

RJ deserves criticism. He hasn't lived up to his end of the deal. And when he trots out half an article like this, I feel anybody that doesn't like it should speak up. He has done half articles before that he never came back to and updated.

This article could have been improved by simply waiting until after his trip to put it out. Maybe throw in a few commercially available alternatives and compare them to his custom knife. Simple solution…

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Nice knife, Michael. I can really appreciate the research, testing and effort it took to make something like that. Have to get a knife like that sometime.

P.S. – Its very obvious what's going on with the articles the last while, especially in regards to gear. The best thing about BPL now days is the forums. With that said, most likely my last year of membership, forums included.

Ryan

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

That's too bad Ryan as I enjoy and appreciate your perspective and contributions here in the forums.

I think if BPL were to take a more active/less passive approach to soliciting contributors, that would help improve content and take some of the burden off of Ryan's shoulders. There's certainly not a shortage of trip reports that can be published as an article instead of in Post Trip Reports.

A few ideas:

More recipes and articles about nutrition. I really enjoyed the Fry Baking article.

More articles on first aid, hygiene, and staying healthy.

More flexibility from the membership when articles are presented that are not strictly UL backpacking but have a nexus to it (eg Tenkara, Packrafting, Bird Watching, etc)

I'd still like to see a follow up article to hear about how this knife worked out on his trip and to answer some of the questions raised here. As mentioned above, compare this knife to other UL options, etc.

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

Because I prefer custom knives, I purchased one of the following:

http://www.fairlyknives.com/product/titanium-backpacker-heat-colored-finish

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

"Cute that you apparently went through my entire posting history to find a complaint in the MLIFE forum thread about ads…when we were discussing ads. Obsess much?"

No, just normally I like to check out the forum profiles of people I am in conversations with online so I know a little bit about who I'm expecting to get jumped on by after I post a comment. I wouldn't call it obsessive, its about paying attention to details. But sure, let's call it obsessive.

"RJ deserves criticism. He hasn't lived up to his end of the deal. And when he trots out half an article like this, I feel anybody that doesn't like it should speak up. He has done half articles before that he never came back to and updated. "

Even if he does deserve criticism, which is fair, there's criticism and then there's being a dick and the detriment of the rest of the community. You are not taking the stance of a critic.

Additionally, what deal did you sign with him? I didn't see any deal that I was getting or signing when I applied. Hmmmmm….. forgive me if I didn't realize you're "special."

Furthermore, I will not PM you for a personal attack. I'm not here to get personal, and if I get personal, it would be in public for all to see. This is a community and your participation in it reflects not only on you but affects the rest of us.

Why don't you and the other anti – RJ types start another website? Its ok, I know you won't because you have nothing to add, not enough time to do it in, and you'd rather be a backseat websiter than provide your own content. It takes work, time and money to make a website like this and keep it going. You are acting like an entitled little baby and a leach – someone who takes but does not give back. Your paltry $150 payment to this website wouldn't even cover the cost of one cuben fiber tarp, and in no way BUYS you the right to make this website a negative experience. Nothing is perfect, no person is perfect, and you don't get to decide how things work here.

Again, I challenge you. Offer your skills, your time, your editing and write a damn article for us to read and shut up. Maybe you will feel equally stupid as you treat and regard RJ and the Author when some jerk like you shits on your article or uses it as a base for building negativity. I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this but at least I feel good that someone is willing to tell you to keep it to yourself. Email your criticism directly or PM them like you said I should do for you… or are you too good to take your own advice?

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

See this guy has his criticism's in order. Ideas, suggestions and helpful critique, not a troll/jerk response. I particularly like where he says:

"More flexibility from the membership when articles are presented that are not strictly UL backpacking but have a nexus to it (eg Tenkara, Packrafting, Bird Watching, etc)"

I bet people like Michael L were the first to say "this doesn't belong." LOL.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Adam,

If you have a problem, there is PM or Chaff as I have already suggested. Quit littering up the board with your personal attacks. You have already had your post edited once in this thread.

You might not realize the promises that were made by RJ back when some of us signed up seeing as you showed up a couple of years ago. Do your research before opening your mouth and proving you know nothing.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Edit: Let it go guys. Let's move on.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Dude, Ian… Shhhh!

This is The Best one in a while! Let em go at it.

Mike, don't pus out ! Call him a mofo or something! KILL KILL!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Sorry to bring this back on target, but…

The fact that this knife does not work on wood without damage makes it a no-go for me for hiking/backpacking. I mean, even a Vic Classic can handle both sticks and trout, and has a nifty pair of scissors besides.

For me, this qualifies as a cute toy, but not a useful tool.

YMMV.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

LOL at Jeffs Elevens "mofo" comment. Classic stuff.

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I guess the real question becomes: is this the right knife to bring to a forum fight?

It's self-sharpening – unlike much of the arguing within the forum, which gets duller with each post, so that's a plus.

It's ultralight – so it's up to the quick parry and thrust of lively (or boorish) forum banter, so that's a plus

It's made in a garage – where you would also generally find some of the language used on some posts, so that's a plus.

Overall, I'd say it's quite suitable!

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Idester, you've outdone yourself on that reply! I can't decide between nodding approval or snorting laughter! But then I also don't have an emoticon for either of those:-)

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Apparently it isn't good for cutting much, but good for cutting flesh…

I'm still looking and waiting on a good fixed blade. They are all either too expensive or not quite what I'm looking for. Like, this knife would pretty much do my requirements, but then, not being able to cut wood and the like when I really want to, and a blade that stays sharp by falling apart (and that isn't like on a $5 knife) kinda freaks me out.

Oh well.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

to get you to follow the trip blog on ryanjordan.com Hmm, why not post that stuff here?

Difficult for Ryan to generate content for this subscription based business when he's busy creating it for somewhere else.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Just because you're paranoid Ken, doesn't mean we're not out to get you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Duh.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

just received my Kestrel Minimalist in the mail, very nicely finished knife I added 6' of small cord to wrap the handle and it's still under a 1/2 ounce (12 grams)- I got it w/ the kydex sheath, but am emailing Nate about his Velcro sheath as the kydex sheath weighs double what the knife does

sharpening titanium/carbide- not sure about other offerings, but this knife right out of the box is hair popping sharp

it's going to make a wonderful bird/trout knife (as well as a nice knife for hiking)

photo kestrelminimus_zps222cbe11.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools