Topic

Attaching umbrella to a pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Attaching umbrella to a pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

I'm thinking of getting a Chrome Dome umbrella for my PCT hike next year. I was wondering if anyone has found a simple way to attach it to my pack. I have a Unaweep pack , so the frame is on the outside, and I was thinking of rigging something to that.

I found these on Amazon, but I am unsure:

http://www.amazon.com/Swing-Trek-Umbrellas-Umbrella-Holder/dp/B001OPKISE/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

Also, there is this umbrella, which is supposed to be able to attach to a pack. I think it weighs like 15oz though, compared to the Chrome Dome + Umbrella holder (10oz):

http://www.mpgear.com/700070/swing-trek-umbrellas-swing-handsfree-umbrella-silvr?SSAID=385201

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

There is a woman named Erin Saver (her trail name is "Wired") who has thru hiked the AT this year with a Chrome dome that she attaches to her pack while simultaneously using trekking poles. I think there is a post somewhere on her website where she discusses how she attaches it to her pack.

I think the website is walkingwithwired.com

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wired has a link to where she got her "system" for attaching a Chrome Dome, here:

http://ramblinghemlock.blogspot.com/2014/03/umbrella-rigging.html

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yeah, I went through all of these ideas a few months back. IMO overkill and not even as good as the simple solution. If you tie a 3-4 inch diameter bubgee loop through the lift strap at the top back of the pack, and hook a tiny carabiner though the hand strap on the end of the umbrella you are done – and IMHO from testing it is the best, most stable, most adaptable solution by far, in spite of also being by far the simplest and lightest. This is basically what one guy did in one of the posted youtube vids on another umbrella thread several months back. When you see it and try it the other methods become superfluous.

You stick your closed umbrella (while walking)up through the lift-strap bungie loop until you can open it above the loop. After it is opened and resting on your pack reach/pull down and attach the carabiner at the end of the umbrella wrist strap to your hip belt somewhere. As Emeril Lagasse would say, BAM!

You can then also make any minor adjustment to its position you like. Choose which side of your head, and same side or cross-side for the belt attachment, as conditions warrant and/or according to personal preference. The strap on the umbrella is already springy, but you can adjust to you pack/body size, for instance, by changing the size of the lift strap loop bungee, and/or attaching another loop(s) to the belt (rather then attaching the carabiner directly to one of the belt straps) if you need more length to stretch the distance or want less tension, etc.

The back bottom of the umbrella rests on your pack. The coverage is low and very stable in moderate wind, just what you need for rain and sun coverage. Might not work as easily for a day pack, but probably something could be worked out to keep it from sitting right on your head. I suppose there may be a few packs/load where this doesn't work, but it works with all my packs of different sizes ranging from lightweight down to SUL.

On my set up the Birdypal (same as chrome dome but without logo) 7.8 oz, plus bungee loop and micro carabiner still less than 8 oz.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

For use when folded for carrying and when in use , two on the pack strap.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Look up BPL Member Michael Gillenwater (www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/…/profile.html?u=mwgillenwater) He has a neat way of attaching a Golite umbrella to a pack. He used it on our last trip and it worked great.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My hiking shirt has large cargo, chest pockets. I put my Chrome Dome handle in the pocket. And the shirt has epaulets on the shoulders. I button that over the middle of the umbrella shaft. Between doing that on my right side or my left side, it handles most any angle of mid-day sun.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

" And the shirt has epaulets on the shoulders. "

While I know there must have been some use for those vestigial things (beyond hanging military decorations and rank), I think that is the only actual explanation of a use I have ever heard. Bravo. Glad you didn't cut them off to save weight.

FWIW, I have never had much luck attaching an umbrella to a shoulder strap, as this is not a very stable part of the pack, and worse, the attachment point are far too close together so the counter-torque is very weak. So if there is any wind, and even from bumping around walking the umbrella wobbles. If you hook it the way I described above is is locked in place under tension. It probably would stay in place under very high winds – the main danger being crumpling the umbrella under the force, or else lifting you off the ground like Mary Poppins.

Any way, try'em both and see what you like best.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I put a 2-3" loop on my haul loop and put the umbrella handle through that. It seems to offset it enough that it lays against my neck without bothering me. I then have a small elastic bungee on the end of the handle through which goes my pack belt to hold everything in place.

It seems to work well on trips where I'm fairly certain I'll see rain. If I'm going out with a chance of rain I leave the umbrella home.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe an umbrella is designed to be held in your hands, but if you want it attached to your pack, a different shape would be better.

Like two poles straight up, then bent sideways going forward horizontally, then around and connected together in front of you. So, more of a rectangular shape of waterproof fabric.

crude picture:

umbrella

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Jerry. There was some guy in SoCal who was trying to sell something like that years ago.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Edit. Removed for duplication.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

>"While I know there must have been some use for those vestigial things (beyond hanging military decorations and rank), I think that is the only actual explanation of a use I have ever heard."

Although they now hold rank insignia of military personnel, Boy Scouts and airline pilots, I believe the shoulder straps were first put on military shirts and jackets to secure the diagonal strap that supported one's scabbard, holster, or ammunition pouch.

In my life outside of backpacking, I find I'm wearing shoulder straps and epaulettes a few times a year.KlingonCzarist Officer

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Yes, the namesake of Science Officer "Spork" (my son) on his chest is a UL titanium one.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You guys need a LW version of a Nubrella :
    nubrella

http://nubrella.com/what-is-nubrella/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You guys are going at this all wrong. You want to attach the umbrella to your head. Use a Brockabrella. Google it.

The St. Louis baseball player Lou Brock had his name on it.

–B.G.–

Eli Palmer

@wonkbro

Locale: Kamuela, Hawaii

I would totally get a "Brockbrella" if they designed them better (seems more like a gag item from what I can tell). Maybe put some overlapping vents so gusts of wind could escape through the bottom of the canopy. Anyone have a link for a well made one by any chance?

Got a good amount of links discussing how to attach the umbrella, appreciate it. Like someone else said, umbrellas are designed to be held in the hand. Would be cool to see one designed to be integrated with a pack.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

I have to say, there is something about the newbrella that, if I saw the guy in the picture using one on a rainy day, I would probably be hoping for a bus to drive by and splash about 5 gallons of water on him from below.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools