Topic

“Bear” Bag for Dry Storage of Sleeping Bag and Clothes…Bad Idea?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear “Bear” Bag for Dry Storage of Sleeping Bag and Clothes…Bad Idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Craig J.
    BPL Member

@cljohnson33

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

So, would it be dumb to use the Zpacks Blast food bag to carry my sleeping bag and spare clothes, and then use it to hang my food, trash, etc. for the nights on a multi-day trip. It's safe to assume that this will make my sleeping bag smell like dinner after day 1.

I know this would be a definite no-no out West, but most of my trips are in and around Pennsylvania and West Texas.

C.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A nylafume bag as a pack liner is 1.1oz. Just saying. I applaud the thoughts on dual use, but…

So would you have your food and clothes packed in the same bag while hiking?

Craig J.
    BPL Member

@cljohnson33

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

For 2- or 3-day trips I usually carry my food and cook kit in a tyvek mailer or small stuff sack and share a larger bag with my hiking partners for hanging purposes. So, no, the food wouldn't have to travel with the clothes. I was just trying to double up on the utility of the dry bag, but was worried that lingering smells from inside the bag might cause some small (or large) woodland creature to try chewing its way into my tent.

Luke Cobrae

@flocktothewall

Locale: So Cal

I Just came back from 6 days in the Sierras. Used my E-Vent compression sack for my bag to hang extra food. Bummer is we put Salame in it, now my sleeping bag smells like Salame. :(

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I'd say go for it as long as you hang your sleeping bag & clothing with the food at night.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

I do this with an odor-proof liner inside the haul bag (I use LiteTrail NyloBarriers). I wouldn't do it without the liner though—even if critters weren't a concern, I don't want my gear to stink of peanuts.

The OP liner also serves to keep small rodents out of your food. Many of these have no trouble climbing down a rope and chewing through a stuff sack.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Bears country or not, your cloths and sleeping bag will smell like food… possibly even have crumbs of food on them and you will likely, at some point, get visits in your tent from Mr. Mouse… or maybe a host of other critters… like Mr. Raccoon, etc.

I do everything I can to keep my food away from my sleeping gear and cloths.

Billy

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

My foodbag keeps my food together in my pack. I wouldn't want it to be running around loose. It would be anarchy.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I dont think it would make much of a difference. You already smell like food to a critter regardless of where you store your sleeping bag. Personally, I wouldn't do it just to avoid smelling it myself.

Ryan

Jim S

@eripiomundus

I live in Australia, and have no experience with bear canisters whatsoever, but I'm wondering whether you could use one as your main pack – have a harness/tether system like the ULA Epic backpack does for a drybag? I assume they're waterproof, so the need to carry drybags would be dispensed with. Size could be an issue?

Regarding the smell: wouldn't double ziplocking your food fix this? As I understand it most canisters are cylindrical, and wouldn't lend themselves to doubling as a main storage area, but maybe someone makes an ovate cylinder? Just wondering out loud.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

Never thought of or tried the idea of using a bear can as your main pack. I suspect it would be difficult to get it strapped in securely without bouncing around.

But double ziplocking won't keep smells in. The plastic that ziplocks are made of is very much not odor-proof. I tested this once accidentally by leaving some double-ziplocked GORP in my daypack for a week. Everything else smelled like peanuts. Specialized odor-proof bags will keep this from happening.

Michael Gunderloy
    BPL Member

@ffmike

Luxurylite sells a pack that can use a bear canister as one compartment. Doing most of my hiking in so-far-bear-free Indiana I haven't looked into it past noticing it on the Web.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools