Topic

What do YOU use to carry alcohol?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What do YOU use to carry alcohol?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Empty bottle of Thera-flu cold medicine.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Would a sawyer squeeze bag work as well as a Platypus? I have a few extra that I don't use…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

The original Sawyer Squeeze bladders had serious integrity issues.
    They were prone to developing a leaks at the corners of the thread block.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Thanks, Greg. I have the new model bags. I had purchased Evernew bags before we had reliability reports on the new design. Plus, I imagine there is much lower chance of leaks if you aren't "squeezing," no?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I imagine there is much lower chance of leaks if you aren't "squeezing," no?"

Yep.
    New Model – Good
    Lower Chance – Good

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm very happy with rumrunnerflasks for alcohol, oil, etc. The come in several sizes, are inexpensive, and an 8 oz version weighs about 0.4 oz.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Has anyone found bottles with gradations (mL) to store their alcohol? I'm currently using a small measuring cup to fill up my Starlyte. It would be nice to have a bottle with the measurements. I'm thinking the science community must have something to store fluids…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Cough syrup bottles. Got mine free at the local pharmacy by asking for one. Beauty of the Starlyte is having the cap. Just squirt some in there, boil, put the lid on. I never measure anymore.

Packman Pete
    BPL Member

@packmanpete

Locale: Rainy Portland

Wait a sec. Do you blow the Starlyte out before putting the lid on? Seriously, can you just put the lid on and the stove stops? Or am I being ridiculous?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Blow it out, wait a bit till not hot. And then put the cap on. Works easily for me. Cap is just plastic.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Another good graduated container for alcohol is a laboratory urine sample bottle.

–B.G.–

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I use a bottle with a dispensing chamber. That way I don't need to fiddle with a measuring device and always fill exactly the 1/2 oz of fuel into my stove that I need. I also know at all times exactly how many more times I can cook. And I can fill the bottle before the trip with just the amount of fuel I need for the trip.
    Dispensing bottle

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Vodka, rum, whiskey plastic bottles come in 4 oz, 8 oz, 12 oz, etc, are pretty leak proof, obviously alcohol proof, and have those nice inserts that cause it pour a little more slowly, a little more controlled. Also, the caps are on the large size so you can easily measure capfuls – maybe your stove takes 1 capful, maybe it takes 1.5 capfuls, but it is much easier to visualize in a cap than in the cat-food-can ally stove. Those bottles more sturdy than others.

But obviously, you want to clearly mark the container with a big black X, Mr Yuck stickers, and/or dye the fuel to avoid any mix-ups.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

With a Starlyte there's little need to be precise when pouring alcohol in — whatever is needed will be burned, whatever is not needed will stay in the stove until next time. I have a couple of small water bottles, 2 8oz and 1 12oz, and use those to carry alcohol based on length of trip. Super light, and basically free. No need for funnels, squirt top, or measuring cup.

As for gradations, I simply prepped the bottles by putting in 2oz of water at a time and used a Sharpie to mark off 2oz increments, which I don't use to determine how much fuel I pour in but rather just to gauge how much I have left.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Manfred really nailed what I was looking for. I'd love to know if it will fit in my Evernew 900 short/wide pot with my Caldera. I'd also like to find a metric one. :)

While I don't need to measure when using the Starlyte, I find measuring helps me ration my fuel.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools