Topic

Replacing pack shoulder straps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Replacing pack shoulder straps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Locale: Boston

I'm a newbie to MYOG so bear with me:
    I have a six moons starlite that I love, but after about 1,000 miles of use the shoulder straps slowly loosen under even moderate loads. I think it's because SMD used 3/8" webbing instead of something beefier and the plastic locks have worn out. Otherwise I love the pack and it's in great shape, I recently picked up the smaller swift and don't want the same thing to happen.

How difficult would it be to replace it with 1/2" or 5/8" webbing and the new larger plastic lock? Would I just undo the stitching and swap the webbing and plastic locks? Would undoing the stitching weaken the underlying fabric?

Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would try a waveloc replacement for the failing piece of stock hardware. They are meant for thinner webbing and should afford you a more powerful connection.

My Starlite has all 3/4" webbing as standard.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'd just try replacing the ladder lock buckles on the shoulder straps first and see if that helps.

You can just break/cut off the old plastic ones (don't cut the webbing/fabric) and buy a replacement set, the kind that can be slipped on over existing webbing. Some have slits in the plastic so you can do this and others have a pin that gets pushed through.

Like this: http://www.rei.com/product/850232/sea-to-summit-1-pin-ladderlock-field-repair-buckle-

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Thanks! That would be a lot simpler and I don't have the packs in front of me to measure so it looks like I'm way off with the webbing widths.

I would do the field repair ladderloc but would it just wear out that quickly again? I have another through hike or two planned…

The waveloc looks pretty nifty, would I have the replace the fabric on the shoulder strap too or just undo the stitching and restitch?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe 3/4" is better? Doesn't weigh that much more

Cut off most of the 3/8" webbing, sew the 3/4" webbing to it. Just a bunch of hand stitches would work.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

+1 with Ken. The Waveloc will probably do the trick, plus would be the easiest fix as well.

Ryan

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Call Ron,

I bet he'd replace the buckles for you.

-Tim

Mike Henrick
    Spectator

@hikerbox

Yeah he probably would but then there's the shipping back and forth. I don't mind doing it myself, I think I'll go with the removable pin buckles and have an extra set on hand.

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools