Topic

WANTED: UL backpack for large man

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WANTED: UL backpack for large man

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

in 2006 i bought a McHale Chasm. i absolutely love this pack but after trimming it still weighs in at 64 ounces. The McHeavy Hauler. i have tried a few times to get a lighter option, but being 6' 1" has been a problem – the stuff i have tried isn't long enough to be comfortable.

what are the options for someone who is 6'1" and 225 pounds?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

We are of very similar size…6'1", 220lbs, 36" waist.
    I have 2 Granite Gear packs and am very happy with the fit and function of both:
    Crown VC 60, Long torso, Med hip belt. I'd say this pack it good up to 28 lbs
    Blaze AC 60, Reg torso, Large hip belt. I'd happily take this to 38-40 lbs

David Ure

@familyguy

How much do you plan to carry? What types of loads?

Mchale makes much lighter alternatives (Bump and LBP versions). Other lightweight alternatives are the Hyperlite Mountain Gear packs, ULA Equipment Circuit / Catalyst, and Granite Gear packs mentioned above.

You aren't that big, however. What is your torso size?

Alexander S
    BPL Member

@cascadicus

The Mountainsmith Haze 50 has widely set shoulder straps and is known to be compfy for larger people with broader shoulders.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Posted 07/15/2014 11:22:48 MDT by Dave U (FamilyGuy)

How much do you plan to carry? What types of loads?

from overnighters in all seasons to 3-7 day shoulder season trips (25-30 pound max).

i am used to the utility of the McHale. i can not afford to buy another McHale, i lucked into that one.

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

I'm 6'4" 190lbs 34 waist and I love my ULA OHM 2.0 in size Large w/ Medium belt, its super comfortable with a 25lb load.

David Ure

@familyguy

"from overnighters in all seasons to 3-7 day shoulder season trips (25-30 pound max).

i am used to the utility of the McHale. i can not afford to buy another McHale, i lucked into that one."

Okay – then definitely the HMG Porter and Windrider 3400 versions, ULA OHM or Circuit, Elemental Horizons Kalais.

All of these packs come in 'Large' or long torso versions. Apart from the Circuit that has gotten heavy over the years, all of the others are right at about 2 lbs and will carry 30 lbs comfortably.

Richard Hogben

@amimal

Selling my used large size Granite Gear Crown VC 60, its in gear swap! 2lb 2oz with the upgraded Klymit large airbeam frame.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wow, I was expecting someone large. You are not. But yes you may have a long torso like myself. Most packs might fit up to a 20" More so you have to look around. I second ULA.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I agree with Ken–you ain't all that large. Unless you're all torso, you should have lots of pack options. FWIW, I'm 6'5", 207, and love my ULA Catalyst.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools