Topic

Question for quilt users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for quilt users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

MYOG bug itching again. Thinking a synthetic 40 degree quilt. Nothing fancy. Questions are what dimensions should it be. I'm 6'3 and a broad shouldered 225 pounds. Where should the taper start?

Thanks

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

56-60" wide(I use 58" for our WIDE)

Taper at the mid point to 2/3 up from the bottom. Any higher and there's no point

80-82" long (84" is our long for 6'6"-6'8") what footbox style?

-Tim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Tim. Simple drawcord footbox. Will be used either in a hammock or a bivy, primarily the bivy.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I'd build it 56" wide, half tapered, 80" long with a 38" foot unless you got big ole feet

-Tim

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

He gots big ole feet.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

True. 15s

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

40 or 42" then

-Tim

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks so much Tim, very helpful. Marc, uh, you too.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Are you a back or side sleeper?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I move from side to back to side again.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I'm a side to back to side sleeper, I have made several quilts and I try to use up the available width of the material, usually in the high 50's inches. I have found that a few inches too narrow is a deal breaker, the difference between tucking it under vs a 1 inch gap. Taper at the waist, and I always think that I bend my knees and get lower in the quilt so the lower the taper the better.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I'm an active side sleeper, and I often sleep with one knee forward. I find that if I use a quilt that is 8" wider than the measurement from the floor, around my shoulder, and back to the floor, then I don't get woken up by drafts when it's chilly. For a summer quilt, ventilation is easier if the quilt is only 4" wider than the floor to floor girth measurement.

If you are making your own, I'd start wide, with a low taper. Then test it on a weekend trip. If you close the top with widely spaced stitches, you can open up the top, turn it inside out, stitch 1-2" farther in, and trim off the excess.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools